Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I'm Back

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Noyac, May 13, 2007.

1. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Jet, Venti, and I have discussed the direction of this forum briefly last week. I was so frustrated with the posts here (I have been frustrated for some time now) that I considered resigning as moderator. Jet had an idea that may renew my interest, thanks Jet. :thumbup:

I have always said that this is a public forum geared to attendings, residents, and med. studs. and that I would not censor the format or topics unless necessary. Other forums have heavy-handed mods. We do not. This is one reason we are on our own here and just loosely associated with SDN.
    Here's the new rules.

All topics associated with crna's, political activity, the ASA, etc. will be strictly discussed on the private forum. This public forum is for clinical posts, lifestyle (this is your area Military:laugh: ),practice management topics, drugs, techniques, and everything else that is unrelated to politics. I will delete posts that stray for this. I will warn those involved and if it continues I will ban them. I am not here to be a bully or a dictator. I am attempting to revive this forum and bring it back on track. We are the best forum on SDN (opinion here) and many have stated this. Lets keep it this way.:hardy:

If you are interested in learning more about the current political and economic climate affecting anesthesiology, we invite you to join the private forum.

To do so, you need an ASA membership. Once you have obtained one, please send a PM to toughlife provide us with your name, your ASA membership # and the phone number and state of residency you have on file with the ASA so we can verify your identity.

We reserve the right to request more information if that which you provided is deemed insufficient or unverifiable.

Here's how to obtain an ASA membership.
    http://www.asahq.org/joinASA.htm

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mille125

Attending Physician

With all due respect, I think that you have it wrong here. Medical students and residents need to know about the political battles that will affect them as much if not more than those already practicing. If someone is out of line or threatening, I am all for warning, censoring, or banning them. But to restrict a set of topics in a public forum is bordering on tyranny. I am not interested in the private forum and will not be providing any personal information or ASA numbers to gain access to it. If CRNA's or higher up ASA members find the topics to "sticky", then I invite them to make there own forum. This is America...

4. Good idea Noy.

I think that there is a considerable amount of information from the ASA on these issues. Anyone who is interested simply has to attend a local Assoc. meeting which tells the tale more than any forum can. Oh, and the information will be factual instead of embellished to fit one persons agenda. For those interested here, the private forum can by a place for that sortof discussion.

Im only interested in the clinical information and have not seen much of that, so for me this is good news.

As for "this is America" Actually, this forum isn't. If you read the terms stuff it clearly states that you have no rights here and the moderators/owners can impose rules and regs as they see fit to maintain the integrity of the forum (which is what noy is saying I think). This is why they can ban trouble makers .

5. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    If the residents and med students are that interested, they should join the private forum. I don't think it is tyranny to control the topics posted on a particular forum. As a matter of fact, it happens in nearly every forum on SDN. Try to check out the Allo forum without seeing a thread that has moved to this place or that.

The private forum evolved from some very heated debates which took the spotlight away from the good that was happening. I think it's worked, and I think this new system will be a further improvement. We've finally got some action posting in the private forum, but I agree that the passion has eclipsed the good threads in the main forum.

6. mille125

Attending Physician

yes, but the other forums do post political themes that relate to their specialty...

7. mille125

Attending Physician

i would say the same about your clinical information. why come to a forum for that when you can go to YOUR local ASA chapter or national meeting......

8. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Mille, you want the political ****, go to the private forum. If you don't want to join the private forum then your **** out of luck. Or is it that you can't get into the private forum? I don't know but the politics has killed this usually very informative forum and I can't watch it any longer.

If the med students want info on the political activities of the ASA they can join the ASA and then the private forum or they can go directly to the ASA website for their information.

9. mille125

Attending Physician

noyac...

The expletives are needless and unnecessary especially coming from a moderator. You dont have to worry about it because this will be my last post in this forum. Now go wash your mouth out with soap.

10. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    See ya later, nurse.

11. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver

Geez.

We don't need moms here.

With your finger-wagging style, you'll do great in hospital administration.

12. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Are the other forums ruined by political themes that relate to their specialty? Dragged into endless arguments? Distracted from clinical/professional topics meant for attendings, residents, and med students alike?

This decision by Noyac is a great idea.

13. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician

First & foremost, I owe these forums a huge apology. I have been heavily distracted - my 3.5m/o daughter has some health issues & must undergo major surgery in the next couple of weeks. So, I ain't been around, but your kids come first.

Second, I think Noyac & Jet - :love: :laugh: dirty words & all :laugh: :love: - have hit upon an excellent idea. And, we are going to give it a try. Now, any changes will bring about dissent; however, this is the internet & it things don't work as well as we want, we can modify or even totally bag & reinvent anything we want to do. I wholeheartedly agree that this was once the BEST forum on SDN, which is why we went solo, but has suffered a significant slide in quality - much of that attributable to political bull$hit & endless pissing & moaning b/t CRNAs & Docs...were I to be a patient reading these forums, at times, it would have made my skin crawl to think the people placing the junior-high level bully-crap on these forums might actually be my or a loved one's anesth provider. So, next time, before you submit your post, take a moment to read & re-read it to see if it sends a representation of you that you are comfortable with - one that you would not one of your patients reading.

Third, one of the characteristics that made our forum so much better, in my humble opinion, is that the moderation crew did not rule with a heavy hand. We allowed spirited exchanges & discussion of controversial topics because they were germaine & important to our profession. However, that permissiveness has been taken advantage of by a small, but very opinionated & verbal subset that has led to the aforementioned degradation. As the moderation crew, it our responsbility to something we believe in & have worked hard to create and to fulfull our responsibility to you all to work to restore that lost integrity. Please be patient, supportive & communicate with us, the mods, while we work out the kinks. We welcome your assessment, constructive criticisms & suggestions for improvement. We DO NOT welcome whining, pissy comments or attempts at humor at others' expense.

We all thanks you in advance for the support I know you will provide.

OldManDave

14. badgas

badgas Member

Resident [Any Field]
    While the political issues are important even for those non ASA med. studs., I have to admit that it is a relief to not see the first ten threads have the title CRNA in it. Is there a way to substantially limit the political talk on the PUBLIC forums but allow some of the more rational posts to remain? I think that it should be an issue that MS1-3s should know about prior to entering the field but many of them are not ASA members.

15. Monty Python

Monty Python Blissfully retired

Best wishes for your daughter and the entire family. :luck: :thumbup:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    What OMD said!

Hope it all works out OMD. Bah, I know it will!

18. nolagas

nolagas Member

I started to say the same thing then realized that just about everything to be said on the issue has been said in previous posts. MS1-3s can read all the old posts to get an idea what everyone thinks about docs, nurses, and AAs. It's not really necessary to continue posting the same things over and over again in the endless debate. A greatest-hits sticky would be nice if it could be compiled and then locked to prevent the rehashed posts starting back up while making the discussion easily available to newbies.

19. BLADEMDA

BLADEMDA ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Sounds fair. Don't forget to include a post about the private forum where the debate continues.

Blade

20. Pooh & Annie

Pooh & Annie Member

Attending Physician
    Great idea. Can't wait to get my ASA number!

21. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver

Get use to expletives here.

George Carlin recited the seven cuss words you'll never hear on TV.

Does everyone know them?

Great.

And, BTW, this ain't TV.

Not considered offensive on this forum.