• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Ashes

Wound Up
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
8
0
40
Ft Collins, CO
Visit site
Status
Hi everybody!

This is my 1st post here so forgive me if it seems like I'm complaining too much :(

I just got rejected from my own state school (I need a hug :( ) and now I'm clinging to 4 waitlists in hope that I will get in somewhere (I don't care where; I'd be happy to attend any school that wanted me :) )

I know interview season is over and I have 4 shots left at med. school (waitlisted at: SLU, Creighton, Cincy, OSU). So..., do you think there's a good chance I might get into one of them?? I have no idea how many people they take off their waitlists so I'm not sure.

It's okay to be honest with me. If my chances are slim, please tell me. I'm a big girl, so I can take it :)

I already know my chances at OSU are very unlikely. I guess they're making a big push to increase their ranking so only those people with stellar numbers are getting in (my #'s are right on their avg's for last year so that's why I don't think I'll get in).

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Ash
 

evines

peek-a-boo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
980
1
40
sinking sand
Visit site
Status
Just kidding. Remember the waitlists don't move much until April or even May, so you still have 4 good chances. Don't give up yet.
 
About the Ads

voltron77

4th year Medical Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
759
2
Visit site
Status
Keep up the faith.....I wish you the very best....I know the feeling of waiting.....

:clap: :hardy:
 

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
4,173
9
43
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Ashes


I just got rejected from my own state school (I need a hug :( )

I
((((((((((((((((((((((((ASH)))))))))))))))))))))))

Don't worry girl, you'll make it!
 

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
679
1
\\
Status
Ash,
4 waitlists is hardly enough to cause you to lose hope. All that means is that 4 schools must choose whether or not you will honor them with your presence for 4 years. You have been through too much in preparation to lose hope this early in the year. Lets face facts, of those schools, there must be people accepted there that have no intent on attending in the fall. Im sure you could find a handful of people on SDN willing to "give you their seat" when they get accepted to a school that better suits them.... *HUG*
I'll let you in a secret, complaining on your first post is hardly too much.
 

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
4,441
4
The Empire State
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by evines
Ashes to ashes . . .
:laugh: :laugh:

evines, you are too funny..

to the OP, don't lose hope. Let hope actively abide within your heart..Keep a positive attitude, and know that things will work out for the best :)
 

Mr Reddly

Snowglobe!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
900
2
Still trying
Visit site
Status
waitlisted at: SLU, Creighton, Cincy, OSU

Reference: 2003 Waitlist Movement Thread
Format: School Name: month/day (method: email/mail/call)

St. Louis: 5/21, 6/06 (call), 6/13(call), 6/30 (call), 7/2(call), 7/11 (call), 7/17 (call)
Creighton: 6/12 (call), 7/02 (call), 7/09 (call), 8/8 (call)
Ohio State: 5/8 (phone), 5/16 (email), 5/19 (call), 5/23 (call), 6/19 (call)
U. Cincinnati: 6/2 (call), 6/12 (call), 6/20 (call), 6/25 (call), 7/7 (call)


Schools that typically have a good deal of Waitlist Movement:
Creighton
Saint Louis University
University of Cincinatti


http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105467
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50648
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109078
 

whitecoat

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 17, 2003
44
0
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, Creighton has a very good waitlist movement. Most students who I have known of got accepted from the waitlist. Some didn't hear back until late June and July.
 
B

Blade28

Don't lose hope! You still have a few weeks left to wait until some decisions are made. Being on 4 waitlists is nothing to sniff at!
 

deaftoan

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
49
0
california
Visit site
Status
i'm holding on to acceptances from both osu and cinc, waiting for financial aid packets. i can't go both places, and i hope dropping one of those acceptances opens up a space for you! i'm sure other people are in my position with these schools, so don't worry, there is a good amount of waitlist movement. in the meantime, you might want to send update letters or a letter of intent. i was on waitlist at osu for about 3 months, sent an update letter expressing how much i liked the college, and got in about a week or two later...could've just been coincidence, but it doesn't hurt to try.
 

Kimmer

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
85
0
Montana - in spirit at least
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I am in a similar position (waitlisted all over the place) and appreciate your "whining" as you have asked the question I was too cowardly to put out there! I wish you the best of luck - and if nothing else try again next year. I know it sucks, but you can't get this close and give up.
 
About the Ads

SoulRFlare

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
658
3
Ohio
Visit site
Status
I agree with the other posters--you have a VERY good chance of getting into at least one med school from your list. Good Luck!
 

Fumoffu

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
194
1
Visit site
Status
Um 4 waitlists?

You really shouldn't worry since I'm sure 1 will take you, if not more.
 

norouz1383!!!

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
36
0
Visit site
Status
Hey Ashes,

I wouldn't worry i'm gonna be releasing my seat from St. Louis in the next couple of days and I'll give that seat to you =)
 

mdsiren

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
27
0
39
Florida
Visit site
Status
Ash,
Don't lose hope. You are much better off than a lot of other applicants. Instead of getting hopeless get aggressive. Start sending LOI's and new updates as much as possible. Come May start calling and writing every week. June and July every other day. Don't give up. You will get in.
 

Ashes

Wound Up
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
8
0
40
Ft Collins, CO
Visit site
Status
Wow! So many replies :) :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words everyone.

I guess it's just hard for me to imagine anyone declining an acceptance (I didn't know so many people here had multiple acceptances -- that's really great!)

Anyway, now I feel very blessed to have been placed on 4 waitlists. Hopefully something will come around soon.

I guess I should start working on those letters, huh?

Thanks everyone for making me feel so much better :love:

Ash
 

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
679
1
\\
Status
Originally posted by TheRussian
premyo2002,
nice icon, Alkaline Trio rocks. Nice to see some punkrockers in SDN land
I think the correct expression is, "holla":horns:
 

ralhtar

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
48
0
Visit site
Status
Hey Ash,
You're in much better position....I'm just holding on to my one waitist at SLU so far....so for my sake mostly...and a lil bit of yours i hope taht you get into osu, cincy, or creighton....coz i'd love to go to SLU....g'luck...maybe we'll be classmates next year *such a long shot...but i can try*
cheers
ralhtar
 

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
556
1
40
Jacksonville, NC
www.naturesamerica.com
Status
You can probably help your chances at Creighton by showing interest. Things like writing update letters and why you want to go to Creighton may help. Also, Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions) has open door on Thursdays so you can call and make an appointment to talk to him.

Jetson
 

Ashes

Wound Up
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
8
0
40
Ft Collins, CO
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ralhtar
Hey Ash,
You're in much better position....I'm just holding on to my one waitist at SLU so far....so for my sake mostly...and a lil bit of yours i hope taht you get into osu, cincy, or creighton....coz i'd love to go to SLU....g'luck...maybe we'll be classmates next year *such a long shot...but i can try*
cheers
ralhtar
:laugh:

Well, hopefully things will work out for the two of us. I loved SLU but I'd probably go to Creighton in the rare event that I was accepted at both (Creighton is much closer to home!).

Best of luck to you!

You can probably help your chances at Creighton by showing interest. Things like writing update letters and why you want to go to Creighton may help. Also, Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions) has open door on Thursdays so you can call and make an appointment to talk to him.
Thanks for the advice Jet! I definitely need to start working on those letters. My only problem now is whether to write a letter of intent to the school I liked best or to the school I felt I had the best shot of getting in at. Hmmm... any thoughts???

*sigh*

I'm so tired of waiting... :(
 

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
556
1
40
Jacksonville, NC
www.naturesamerica.com
Status
Write a letter of intent to your top choice school. For the other schools, you can write something towards to effect of "you are one of my top choices."

Jetson
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
think about it this way. Lets say you have a 50% chance of getting in a given schools off interview. Supposing each was an independent event, and you had a absolute 50% chance of being admitted. Then, with four schools in contention, you have only a 6.25% chance of getting rejected everywhere, or a 93.75% chance of getting in one or more schools.

I know it doesnt work like that, but it looks a little better that way doesnt it?

I'm probably going to decline my OSU spot so I hope it goes to you! Make sure you keep updating the schools and showing you're interested. I have a feeling the OSU wlist is going to move a lot this year b/c they admitted a lot of very qualified students trying to boost their averages, and chances are those students will go elsewhere. I just happened to slip through the cracks.
 

Mr Reddly

Snowglobe!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
900
2
Still trying
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by exmike
think about it this way. Lets say you have a 50% chance of getting in a given schools off interview. Supposing each was an independent event, and you had a absolute 50% chance of being admitted. Then, with four schools in contention, you have only a 6.25% chance of getting rejected everywhere, or a 93.75% chance of getting in one or more schools.
Sorry. You have to modify that a bit.

What is the probability of getting an acceptance *given that* you were not in the immediate acceptance pool?

assume 1/3 immediate accepts.
Sorry, it's still cool with 4 schools, but not as cool as it sounds based on the 50% off interview statistic. The number of people vieing for the spots goes down, but the number of open spots drops even more. :(
 
About the Ads