I'm beginning to lose hope...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashes

Wound Up
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

This is my 1st post here so forgive me if it seems like I'm complaining too much :(

I just got rejected from my own state school (I need a hug :( ) and now I'm clinging to 4 waitlists in hope that I will get in somewhere (I don't care where; I'd be happy to attend any school that wanted me :) )

I know interview season is over and I have 4 shots left at med. school (waitlisted at: SLU, Creighton, Cincy, OSU). So..., do you think there's a good chance I might get into one of them?? I have no idea how many people they take off their waitlists so I'm not sure.

It's okay to be honest with me. If my chances are slim, please tell me. I'm a big girl, so I can take it :)

I already know my chances at OSU are very unlikely. I guess they're making a big push to increase their ranking so only those people with stellar numbers are getting in (my #'s are right on their avg's for last year so that's why I don't think I'll get in).

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Ash

Members don't see this ad.

Just kidding. Remember the waitlists don't move much until April or even May, so you still have 4 good chances. Don't give up yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep up the faith.....I wish you the very best....I know the feeling of waiting.....

:clap: :hardy:

Originally posted by Ashes

I just got rejected from my own state school (I need a hug :( )

I

((((((((((((((((((((((((ASH)))))))))))))))))))))))

Don't worry girl, you'll make it!

Ash,
4 waitlists is hardly enough to cause you to lose hope. All that means is that 4 schools must choose whether or not you will honor them with your presence for 4 years. You have been through too much in preparation to lose hope this early in the year. Lets face facts, of those schools, there must be people accepted there that have no intent on attending in the fall. Im sure you could find a handful of people on SDN willing to "give you their seat" when they get accepted to a school that better suits them.... *HUG*
I'll let you in a secret, complaining on your first post is hardly too much.

Originally posted by evines
Ashes to ashes . . .

:laugh: :laugh:

evines, you are too funny..

to the OP, don't lose hope. Let hope actively abide within your heart..Keep a positive attitude, and know that things will work out for the best :)

Keep the hope. I think you still have a good chance. :thumbup:

waitlisted at: SLU, Creighton, Cincy, OSU

Reference: 2003 Waitlist Movement Thread
Format: School Name: month/day (method: email/mail/call)

St. Louis: 5/21, 6/06 (call), 6/13(call), 6/30 (call), 7/2(call), 7/11 (call), 7/17 (call)
Creighton: 6/12 (call), 7/02 (call), 7/09 (call), 8/8 (call)
Ohio State: 5/8 (phone), 5/16 (email), 5/19 (call), 5/23 (call), 6/19 (call)
U. Cincinnati: 6/2 (call), 6/12 (call), 6/20 (call), 6/25 (call), 7/7 (call)

Schools that typically have a good deal of Waitlist Movement:
Creighton
Saint Louis University
University of Cincinatti

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105467
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50648
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109078

Actually, Creighton has a very good waitlist movement. Most students who I have known of got accepted from the waitlist. Some didn't hear back until late June and July.

Don't lose hope! You still have a few weeks left to wait until some decisions are made. Being on 4 waitlists is nothing to sniff at!

i'm holding on to acceptances from both osu and cinc, waiting for financial aid packets. i can't go both places, and i hope dropping one of those acceptances opens up a space for you! i'm sure other people are in my position with these schools, so don't worry, there is a good amount of waitlist movement. in the meantime, you might want to send update letters or a letter of intent. i was on waitlist at osu for about 3 months, sent an update letter expressing how much i liked the college, and got in about a week or two later...could've just been coincidence, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I am in a similar position (waitlisted all over the place) and appreciate your "whining" as you have asked the question I was too cowardly to put out there! I wish you the best of luck - and if nothing else try again next year. I know it sucks, but you can't get this close and give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posters--you have a VERY good chance of getting into at least one med school from your list. Good Luck!

Um 4 waitlists?

You really shouldn't worry since I'm sure 1 will take you, if not more.

Start writing them letters - if you show them how interested you are it will help!!! And don't give up hope, it'll all work out for the best!

Hey Ashes,

I wouldn't worry i'm gonna be releasing my seat from St. Louis in the next couple of days and I'll give that seat to you =)

Ash,
Don't lose hope. You are much better off than a lot of other applicants. Instead of getting hopeless get aggressive. Start sending LOI's and new updates as much as possible. Come May start calling and writing every week. June and July every other day. Don't give up. You will get in.

premyo2002,
nice icon, Alkaline Trio rocks. Nice to see some punkrockers in SDN land

Wow! So many replies :) :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words everyone.

I guess it's just hard for me to imagine anyone declining an acceptance (I didn't know so many people here had multiple acceptances -- that's really great!)

Anyway, now I feel very blessed to have been placed on 4 waitlists. Hopefully something will come around soon.

I guess I should start working on those letters, huh?

Thanks everyone for making me feel so much better :love:

Ash

Originally posted by TheRussian
premyo2002,
nice icon, Alkaline Trio rocks. Nice to see some punkrockers in SDN land

I think the correct expression is, "holla":horns:

Hey Ash,
You're in much better position....I'm just holding on to my one waitist at SLU so far....so for my sake mostly...and a lil bit of yours i hope taht you get into osu, cincy, or creighton....coz i'd love to go to SLU....g'luck...maybe we'll be classmates next year *such a long shot...but i can try*
cheers
ralhtar

You can probably help your chances at Creighton by showing interest. Things like writing update letters and why you want to go to Creighton may help. Also, Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions) has open door on Thursdays so you can call and make an appointment to talk to him.

Jetson

Originally posted by ralhtar
Hey Ash,
You're in much better position....I'm just holding on to my one waitist at SLU so far....so for my sake mostly...and a lil bit of yours i hope taht you get into osu, cincy, or creighton....coz i'd love to go to SLU....g'luck...maybe we'll be classmates next year *such a long shot...but i can try*
cheers
ralhtar

:laugh:

Well, hopefully things will work out for the two of us. I loved SLU but I'd probably go to Creighton in the rare event that I was accepted at both (Creighton is much closer to home!).

Best of luck to you!

You can probably help your chances at Creighton by showing interest. Things like writing update letters and why you want to go to Creighton may help. Also, Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions) has open door on Thursdays so you can call and make an appointment to talk to him.

Thanks for the advice Jet! I definitely need to start working on those letters. My only problem now is whether to write a letter of intent to the school I liked best or to the school I felt I had the best shot of getting in at. Hmmm... any thoughts???

*sigh*

I'm so tired of waiting... :(

Write a letter of intent to your top choice school. For the other schools, you can write something towards to effect of "you are one of my top choices."

Jetson

think about it this way. Lets say you have a 50% chance of getting in a given schools off interview. Supposing each was an independent event, and you had a absolute 50% chance of being admitted. Then, with four schools in contention, you have only a 6.25% chance of getting rejected everywhere, or a 93.75% chance of getting in one or more schools.

I know it doesnt work like that, but it looks a little better that way doesnt it?

I'm probably going to decline my OSU spot so I hope it goes to you! Make sure you keep updating the schools and showing you're interested. I have a feeling the OSU wlist is going to move a lot this year b/c they admitted a lot of very qualified students trying to boost their averages, and chances are those students will go elsewhere. I just happened to slip through the cracks.

Originally posted by exmike
think about it this way. Lets say you have a 50% chance of getting in a given schools off interview. Supposing each was an independent event, and you had a absolute 50% chance of being admitted. Then, with four schools in contention, you have only a 6.25% chance of getting rejected everywhere, or a 93.75% chance of getting in one or more schools.
Sorry. You have to modify that a bit.

What is the probability of getting an acceptance *given that* you were not in the immediate acceptance pool?

assume 1/3 immediate accepts.
Sorry, it's still cool with 4 schools, but not as cool as it sounds based on the 50% off interview statistic. The number of people vieing for the spots goes down, but the number of open spots drops even more. :(