SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I'm confused ...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by aspirationMD, Mar 25, 2007.

1. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year 2+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Oregon
    I was curious to know, if, and how difficult it could be to get into med school when your freshman yr is spent at cc, and if you try enrolling in med school with a B.S.N?

I can't imagine having a cc on your application would be a good thing. But I just can't justify paying double the money for a years worth of classes.

As for the nursing degree, I figure at least it will be useful in the unfortunate event that I won't get accepted into med school.

Basically I'm just not sure what to do here, anyone else struggling with a similar issue? :confused:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2005
    N'awlins
    Some schools don't want your pre-reqs done at a CC, as they are viewed as easier. You will also face the why medicine, why not nursing question with a bit more scrutiny going in with a nursing degree.

4. tkatchev

tkatchev 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    "I'm confused" ... Well aren't we all. But to answer your question, I attended a CC freshman year and then took one more required "pre-med" course there between sophomore and junior year. Long story short, I went on to a state university, did great, applied to med school, and received 5 acceptances (all in TX…this should give you an idea of the kind of schools I was applying to). I realize this is just anecdotal evidence and "results may not be typical," but I think unless you're aiming for a top 10 med school and as long as you avoid taking all of your medical school pre-requisites at the community college, go on to do really well at whatever University you finally end up at, and of course have all the other important qualities (good GPA, MCAT, extra curriculars, clinical exposure, etc etc) you shouldn't have a problem. But let me emphasize one more time that you could spend an entire year at a CC and avoid taking medical school pre-requisites like biology, chemistry, and physics. So if you do take those courses there you might have a harder time getting in to med school. The more med school pre-requisites you take at a 4 year University the better, assuming you do well in them. I took both intro Biology and Physics at CC and didn't have a problem, but I also made A's in every other pre-requisite course I took subsequently at my University; anyway, just things to keep in mind.

I know the question about CC has been asked before so if you do a search I bet you could find more information.

5. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year 2+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Oregon
    Yeah I'm not even taking pre-med classes at cc, just the basics like writing, lower math classes, history and the such to get a 4 yr degree. The university I plan to go to (and actually transferred out of) has you do these ridiculous "freshman inquiry" classes and I've done two years of college (electronics engineering) so I don't feel like I should have to do those specific classes they require, but I can't get out of them unless I transfer with 30+ relevant/equivalent credits.

I'm also starting late in life and was curious about that, but I'll save that for another post! This has helped though and I'm definitely going to look further into the details of cc. Now I still don't know what to do about the degree issue. Ahhh!

6. MDonFIRE

MDonFIRE

Feb 2, 2007
    Im kinda in the same boat. I went to CC out of high school, and will be getting my associates in firefighting this spring. While doing that I also started at the local university last fall (when I decided to start pre-med). While none of my pre-med reqs. were done at CC, I often wonder if a med school will hold those two years against me at all. But looking at it a little differently, I will have a 2yr firefighing degree (I would like to go into EM, so it may help) and a BS in Human Bio. so I guess uts really not all bad:)

7. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Rest assured that the MCAT will silence doubters. :thumbup:

:luck:

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Confused, you have me confused. You have attended college for 2 years, want to transfer to a community college and then earn a bachelor's degree at a third institution?? and the bachelor's degree will be a BSN. You are in for some grief! The clinical experience requirements of the BSN are a huge time sink and have the potential to kill your gpa. You will need to explain why you want to switch from one profession (nursing) to another. The requirements for the BSN are not the same as the pre-med requirements (often a less rigorous chemistry course and a less rigorous organic chem course, for example). Keep your eye on the prize and don't get sidetracked running down paths you don't intend to keep to.

(not to mention the immorality of taking a spot in a nursing program if you don't intend to be a nurse -- nurses are in short supply and the supply can't grow because the US has a shortage of clinical training spots and trained faculty.)