I'm desperate for help with clinic dress!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEliseMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll just come right out and say it: I have a large rack. It's big enough that even the nice/classy tank tops show too much cleavage for clinic. This has been a problem for me since day one (really, since puberty, but it's never been a professional issue before). Camisole tops don't even cover enough. Really, the only thing I can find that will cover like they want is sweaters.

That's all well and good, but they keep our clinic at like 84 degrees and I'm already dripping with sweat in my tank tops! I've never had a client comment on my cleavage, but I have had one comment on the fact that my face was literally dripping. I'm not kidding. It dribbles down my neck.

Anyway, does anyone know of a store that carries a lot of modest, classy tops? Maybe even camisoles that cover more than the ones at Old Navy. I'm getting desperate! I've been searching for this kind of thing since August and can't seem to find anything. Or, if you don't, do you have any other ideas for how I can remedy the problem?

Personally, I'm fine with patients seeing my cleavage, but my clinic supervisor reduced my KASA competency rating based on it so I need to fix it for next semester!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain! I tend to avoid the issue by wearing button downs or cardigans with higher buttons over anything lower cut. I have a few good long and higher cut tank tops that have lace detail on the top and bottom that are great for wearing under anything short or lower cut. If it's too warm in the clinic and don't want to wear long sleeves, see about finding some lightweight short sleeved or 3/4 length sweaters/cardigans that button up high enough to avoid cleavage. Another thing you can do is get some short sleeved or sleeveless dresses that hit around the knee and are higher cut, throw a cardigan over that you can pull off if it gets hot, and then you don't have to worry about cleavage or a too-short shirt.

Hope that helps-good luck!

I do think it's important to not show too much. Patients from some cultures in particular could be very uncomfortable with cleavage or even too much skin showing! I don't know your size/style, but I have gotten a lot of not-terribly-expensive-but-nice-looking clothes for clinic at Ann Taylor Loft (Loft is a lot less expensive than plain Ann Taylor). I practically live in their slacks in the clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think it's important to not show too much. Patients from some cultures in particular could be very uncomfortable with cleavage or even too much skin showing! I don't know your size/style, but I have gotten a lot of not-terribly-expensive-but-nice-looking clothes for clinic at Ann Taylor Loft (Loft is a lot less expensive than plain Ann Taylor). I practically live in their slacks in the clinic.

I understand the cultural issue, and that's why I've been trying to find some stuff. I'm covered everywhere else, but my chest has always been an issue for me. Necklines that wouldn't be a problem for most people create too much cleavage for me. Thanks for the tip about Ann Taylor Loft; I'll definitely check that out!

Thanks for the tips as well, dg2b! I'll try to find some lacy stuff. I can't really do button-downs because I'm a plus-size and the buttons either pull because the shirt is too tight, or the chest area is okay but the rest makes me look slouchy.

Hey -- I just had another thought: What about tying a lightweight scarf (like silk or faux silk) around your neck to hang down right over ... :) ?

Hey -- I just had another thought: What about tying a lightweight scarf (like silk or faux silk) around your neck to hang down right over ... :) ?

Hmm, that might work. I'll experiment!

These are great ideas, keep 'em coming! :)

Hmm, that might work. I'll experiment!

These are great ideas, keep 'em coming! :)

I second the scarf idea. My wife teaches 7th graders, and well, 7th graders are 7th graders. She uses lots of the lightweight scarves even when shirts don't show any cleavage at all to just be double sure that everything is covered up.

There is also this As Seen on TV clip in thing to reduce cleavage.

One advantage to being a guy. Clinic dress is pretty simple, our options are basically jsut polos, sweaters, and oxfords/button-downs :laugh:

i have a half sleeve on my left arm and so covering up (albeit my arm) is an issue for me as well. i do short-sleeve shirts or tank tops under 3/4 length cardigans. i have stocked up on them at the gap, j.crew, ann taylor loft, and express.

that said, getting hot is an issue for me too. it sucks. especially those summer days when i just rode my bike to clinic and am all sweaty and i have to put on the cardigan before i walk in the door. it's just something i have to live with.

stupid me that every picture i had seen of an audiologist was wearing a lab coat so when i got this tattoo i didn't think it would be much of a concern.....

also had a supervisor this semester that was extremely conservative when it came to dress. here's another tidbit of advice - always tuck in your shirt!

now it's not that usual in real life for someone to be constantly standing behind you, but as a student... that's pretty common. and when my storage area for files etc is basically on the floor and i have to constantly bend over to pick anything up..... i thought i had long shirts but that wasn't enough.

I'm a 27" waist with a large chest so nothing factory-made fits me properly. I've either got tons of excess at the waist or my chest is bursting out.

The most important advice is "find a great tailor"! $15 worth of tailoring on a garment can make the difference between sloppy student and professionally polished.

Also, check out this store. The style is perfectly suited to the clinical professional. It's a bit pricey, but there are sale items occasionally.
http://www.carissarose.com/

Good luck!!

I'm late to this discussion but I have a similar issue. As has been mentioned, Loft is amazing. Also, Banana Republic has some great stretchy button-ups in short-sleeve styles - the outlet stores are a godsend. J.Crew (also outlet) is pretty great too.

Things have gotten a bit better since I started wearing a regular bra instead of a pushup. Imagine how dumb I felt when I realized that! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

Boatnecks!

They cover basically everything but the base of your neck, and it's not impossible to find boatneck tanks, sweaters, and even short sleeves. I was happy that I took so much time observing so that I could recognize wardrobe issues that might be an issue for me.

The scarf idea-- also great. Securing them with a pin to make sure to cover everything is never a bad idea, as a lot of them tend to get away from you during the day.