I'm disturbed, and I'm going to be sick...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Psisci, I don't see this as an issue of political correctness. And I think that what is ruffling some feathers here is that people are confusing explanations for excuses. Or the search for an explanation as a search for an excuse. Those aren't the same thing in my mind.

Some get into this field not out of an interest in helping others, but more so to understand the human condition. That even extends to pedophilia.

On another note, psisci, you work with kids right? What happens when you sexually abuse a kid? Boy or girl. And then if you let it go untreated what happens? I know you know what it results in. You often times see it even before they reach puberty. They often abuse another kid themselves. Trying to undestand this downward spiral I don't think means you have pedophilic thoughts yourself. It seems to me to be a noble pursuit.

Just some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

I shouldn't have even checked this thread again, but oh well, too late. :(

I'd just like to say I was not making excuses. Abuse of children is one of worst crimes a person can commit. But I still tried to understand why my patient did it. I also tried to understand what in his life led him to become who he was--just as I do with all my patients, criminal and non-criminal. I also understand why some people would not want to work with him or other people who have harmed children...or not want to work with rapists, with murderers, with bigots, etc. Everyone has a different line of what they find intolerable to deal with.

In my post-training practice, I wouldn't want to work with pedophiles, but I am glad there are people who will. I also wouldn't want to work with people who have committed hate crimes...but again, I'm glad there are people who will. Again, this is all just my personal way of feeling.

I'm a good, moral person, and I believe everyone else here is as well. I think emotions are running high--internet message board discussions of charged topics (religion, sexuality, abortion, etc, in which people have differing opinions and are unlikely to change their minds in either direction) invariably end up with everyone upset just like this. I hope we can move onto better topics--like the fact that for the fourth years, internship starts in less than 2 months! :eek:

Take care everyone... :)