I'm doing work at my lab over the summer and I want to ask for a grant. How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timothyiv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a meeting in about an hour so speedy responses appreciated.

I've been working in my lab for 2 months on an ongoing project and would like to continue over the summer with a grant of some sort. I will work here even if I don't get a grant. I was waitlisted at their SURP program. How do I bring this up with my PI today during our meeting about my progress?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell your professor about the SURP waitlist, and also ask if they personally have any grants you could work off of/if they have any other opportunities

This completely depends on your relationship with the PI and their personality, so make sure not to over step any boundaries. That being said, my two research jobs were unstructured and consisted of working off their grants. So if they have the money, it's very doable

Just say that you're interested in working there over the summer and if he has any grant money that can fund you. If you only need funding for the project, then it should be pretty easy. But funding for living expenses may be harder.