MD I'm fed up , how can i implemet repition without anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a. 4th year med student

I tries anki , it didn't work for me.
For those who study from slides i neee your help :
1-how can i memorize what i read ?
2-do you mean by repitition reading your slides over and over ?
3-how many passes you need to master a lecture ?
4-do you read your slides only one time in a sitting then repeat the process another day ?

PS: we don't have many practice question in college (not an usa college)

Members don't see this ad.

what dont you like about anki? making the cards? if so, ask a friend or set of classmates to all work on decks so you dont all have to make the decks for every single lecture individually. I think you should give it another try. What sucks about it is you have to grade yourself. but therein lies the beauty---anki will give you those cards again and again until you click "easy." Traditional flashcards you might not remember to revisit.

Being able to teach the material is how you learn. Start or join a study group where you will be responsible for a lecture to present to the group. Ask each other questions, explain to each other. Just looking at the slides is a bad idea--you will just look at it with the notes and say "oh yeah ok" but can you -explain- what the point of the slide is? Your call, i dont know your learning style. Speaking of learning style, perhaps youre more of a visual person in which case drawing more diagrams or tables would help.

I don't know what "4th year" translates to in the USA... are you doing anatomy? microbio? Answering questions is a great study tool. Ask upperclassmen about other resourses they might use that have summaries and questions for each topic. Look into BRS.

what dont you like about anki? making the cards? if so, ask a friend or set of classmates to all work on decks so you dont all have to make the decks for every single lecture individually. I think you should give it another try. What sucks about it is you have to grade yourself. but therein lies the beauty---anki will give you those cards again and again until you click "easy." Traditional flashcards you might not remember to revisit.

Being able to teach the material is how you learn. Start or join a study group where you will be responsible for a lecture to present to the group. Ask each other questions, explain to each other. Just looking at the slides is a bad idea--you will just look at it with the notes and say "oh yeah ok" but can you -explain- what the point of the slide is? Your call, i dont know your learning style. Speaking of learning style, perhaps youre more of a visual person in which case drawing more diagrams or tables would help.

I don't know what "4th year" translates to in the USA... are you doing anatomy? microbio? Answering questions is a great study tool. Ask upperclassmen about other resourses they might use that have summaries and questions for each topic. Look into BRS.
Thanks very much for you help, i really appreciate it.

4th year means that i study pathology only (neurology,ophtalmology....)
Well, in my college at least study groups are non existant, no one does it or even knows about it
I tried anki but it is actually soul crashing so that's why abandoned it and oh i forgot , no one uses it in my college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google things like "pathology questions"--there are many medical schools with public websites that have questions for their courses. I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I used anki (premade decks of high yields) for boards studying on the side during basic sciences. It takes a lot of dedication to keep up with daily task. I also like to study in conjunction with first aid, pathoma, sketchy, and questions on specific topics. For example, if I was studying cardio I would only read the cardio section and do cardio cards on that day. It helps solidify the information and seeing different angles of the material. if you know the core concepts, the flashcards are simply there to store long-term memory and fast recall during exams. I haven't started dedicated yet but I have a feeling it will help with small facts that people have trouble memorizing. In addition, people can succeed without note cards, it really depends on an individual's preference of studying. And everyone has different methods of digesting the information. I don't think you should force studying note cards if you don't feel comfortable with them. But do take some time to figure out what is effective for you.

P.S. for pathology and physiology I like to draw on my whiteboard. It's so much fun and the information sticks really well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users