I'm feeling old...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is never to late in life to jump hurdles for your dream. I feel whatever the age someone matriculates into medical school they are still passionate about becoming a doctor because they passed through all the hurdles to get in and that says a lot about someone. Congrats to all for being in medical school and achieving your dreams.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter how old you are, you're not as old as kobe bryant.

As an incoming med student, I was wondering, for those of you who are older than 30 when you start med school, was it at all difficult to memorize so much material? I am 25 and find it harder to concentrate for long periods of time compared to when I was 18. It used to be so easy to study 16 hours a day, now there is the laziness syndrome. As I get older I find it harder to motivate myself. I'm still an extremely motivated individual (I'm already reading Robbin's Pathology) but not so much as before. It's hard for me to imagine an older version of myself staying motivated and being able to memorize so much material.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was 23 when I matriculated and I don't feel old/mature enough to be here when I compare myself to classmates who are around age ~30
I'm an MS1 at the moment.

I was 39 when I started. I didn't have problems with the material when I compare myself to others in my class; most folks failed at least one class and had to retake exams. I never had to retake and exam, never failed a class. I didn't honor many courses, but I never failed one. So I guess I did ok. Even with having a family and limited study hours.

Did I have problems memorizing all the material? I don't think anyone memorizes ALL the material. There's just too much of it. But I did ok. Time management is so key.

No matter how old you are, you're not as old as kobe bryant.

As an incoming med student, I was wondering, for those of you who are older than 30 when you start med school, was it at all difficult to memorize so much material? I am 25 and find it harder to concentrate for long periods of time compared to when I was 18.

At 25? That's still plenty young. I would assume it's more burn-out than any sort of memory/laziness related issue.

EDIT: ShyRem, you are a monster of time management. Utmost respect.

i'm only a year behind you! :) i'll be 25 starting this fall

we're still young...i'm still called a "baby" in the OR lol

I practiced as a med tech for 10 years before returning to osteopathic school...and was in my mid early 30's..some of my classmates were in their mid 40's or ealry 50's. whatever time you decide is best for you is when you go back to school...we all had our studying issued but frankly it was harder for the young kids..

So it hit me this morning driving to work, that if I get in I'll be 26 when I matriculate... and then I'll have four years of residency, so I'll be 34 when I finally start my career. I know most you applying this year are spring chickens...

So is anyone else a re-applicant with a few more years under their belt? Anyone in med-school start a little later than most of your peers? What are some of the challenges you experienced?

Is it still worth it to start so late?

Those 50 year old med students must have A LOT of self-motivation to get through med school. They'll start practicing a few years before I'm retiring. :eek: