I’m getting a Masters degree in an unrelated field (Finance) at the same time as my bachelors. How much does my Masters GPA matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTrojan

Reaction score
Doing a program at my school where I can get a masters at the same time as an undergrad. I had an interest in business so I went for an MS in Finance but lost interest fairly quickly. Still getting the degree. My undergrad GPA is 4.0 but my MS gpa will be quite mediocre (<3.6). How much will this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Doing a program at my school where I can get a masters at the same time as an undergrad. I had an interest in business so I went for an MS in Finance but lost interest fairly quickly. Still getting the degree. My undergrad GPA is 4.0 but my MS gpa will be quite mediocre (<3.6). How much will this matter?
Won't help, can hurt.

We expect A's in a Master's program...
After all, it's something you chose to do, not a requirement in any way.
I’m having some trouble seeing why A’s are expected. The things I’m learning in these classes are like corporate financial policy, accounting, and hedge funds. Not sure when these things will ever pop up in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m having some trouble seeing why A’s are expected. The things I’m learning in these classes are like corporate financial policy, accounting, and hedge funds. Not sure when these things will ever pop up in med school.
It only matters that you chose this degree and achieved less than expected.
Any of us who have ever taught in (or obtained) a Master's degree are aware of the grading differential.
Low(er) grades in a Master's degree are an unforced error. It's not an insurmountable error.

Your strategy will need to take this into consideration, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The things you are learning most likely will not come up in med school courses, but you chose to enroll in the program and as such you are expected to do extremely well. That’s just the way it is. Most people who go to grad school do very well grade wise because the focus of the program is on something we picked out/are good at. Why did you do this?

Reactions: 2 users