IM @ Henry Ford Hospital - Detroit, Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this rotation at HFH? If so, could you maybe tell me what your days were like and experiences? Just curious and would appreciate any responses!

Thank you!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M3 at Michigan, and I did one month of IM there, on the general service (F2 I think...). I had a great time and got to see a different patient (and physician) population than that in Ann Arbor. Lots of bread and butter, social issues, diseases more common in African Americans, etc. The faculty were VERY into teaching, often moreso than UM attendings. I was surprised by this. They allow you a fair amount of autonomy with patients, though when I was there our progress notes weren't used. There is some scut to do, too though, and some residents/faculty are more aprehensive of letting students do basic procedures, but I did end up getting to do two pericenteses there. Days were 7am-5pm at worst usually, with "short call" till 10-11pm every 4th day, and overnight when your call falls on a weekend.

Biggest downside was a mostly paper record system (labs, films, discharge, sign-out, and outpatient stuff is on computer.

Thank you for your response! Anyone else have any experiences? I start next month! So excited! :)

They have cute anesthesia residents. That's all I know.