I'm interviewing at my top choice/place i rotated at last..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derminterview

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I be very clear with the interviewers that it is my top choice?

Like at the end of each interview when they ask if i have any questions, should I just say something like "Because I rotated here, I have a great idea of what the program is like and am going to rank this program number 1?"

Or should I email them that they are my number 1 before the interview, since a lot of times they make the rank list immediately after the interview day anyways

Members don't see this ad.

Should I be very clear with the interviewers that it is my top choice?

Like at the end of each interview when they ask if i have any questions, should I just say something like "Because I rotated here, I have a great idea of what the program is like and am going to rank this program number 1?"

Or should I email them that they are my number 1 before the interview, since a lot of times they make the rank list immediately after the interview day anyways

I usually recommend a thank you email shortly after the interview informing them of your rank order. To do it before the interview seems odd. You can do it during the interview as well but I would make sure that is your last interview (or again, it seems odd)

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually recommend a thank you email shortly after the interview informing them of your rank order. To do it before the interview seems odd. You can do it during the interview as well but I would make sure that is your last interview (or again, it seems odd)

Would they be able to confirm whether or not it is my last one? It isn't but my last interview is another program I rotated at so I have a pretty good idea that I do not want to rank it number 1.

Also, would an email after even help since almost everywhere seems to be making their rank list right after interviews?

When they make this rank list is it still flexible?

Would they be able to confirm whether or not it is my last one? It isn't but my last interview is another program I rotated at so I have a pretty good idea that I do not want to rank it number 1.

Also, would an email after even help since almost everywhere seems to be making their rank list right after interviews?

When they make this rank list is it still flexible?

They won't be able to but it seems disingenuous to declare a program as your #1 if you haven't had a chance to interview at all the programs yet. To be honest, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference either way. For prelim programs, your ranking of #1 might sway your position on the rank list. For most derm programs, they're going to rank who they want to rank regardless of how you have them ranked on your list. My guess is that declaring that a program is #1 during your interview probably carries as much weight as an email afterwards (minimal to none)

At least at my former program, you are scored right after your interviews and your composite score determines your final rank. People may move up or down based on strong support or objections from other faculty members (and residents too. Residents may not be able to bump you up on the rank list but they can certainly bring you down or even eliminate you from consideration), factors such as nepotism, and influence from the PD and/or chairperson. But in general, there isn't much swing in terms of rank list adjustments (again, at my program, this may differ at others)

I mostly agree with asmallchild’s sentiment. Candidates may be preliminarily ranked after each interview day, but depending on how many interview days a given program has, a final integrated rank list must be obtained at the conclusion of the interview season. To think that adjustment’s do not occur would be to assume that all candidates on a given day are equal to all candidates on all of the other days, but unfortunately it’s not that simple.

If you have a favorite program at which you would really like to match, I highly suggest notifying them you are ranking them #1. I would suggest doing this shortly after you have completed all of your interviews and are certain.

It will not hurt you and may not change your rank (depending on your application as a whole; do not expect telling your # 1 they are #1 to neutralize red flags or negative feedback). On the other hand, if you are an outstanding candidate, as many dermatology applicants are, and arbitrarily happen to be slightly lower on a rank list, such a disclosure can help you move up on the rank list. Programs want residents who really want to be there. Happiness goes a long way.

Never tell a program you are ranking them #1 when you are not. This will taint your reputation. I still hear about candidates who did this years later.