I'm jealous of everyone here

Started by dentalKid
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentalKid

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Brief intro: i'm 26, just started school at community college for a bout a year now. i really want to be a dentist. most of you guys here are in the last completion for DAT or have your degree done. I guess i'm jealous of that. But i suppose everyone has to start somewhere. I quitted my job as waiter 6 years ago. and went for dental assistant program. So over these years i see what they'r doing and i really like it. I feel very comfortable and actually well determined when i'm in the office. So I hope with all the positive feeling. i will head in to the right direction. In the meantime, i cut my schedule of working and spend most of the time for school and DAT prep. There is no early for me any more. i used to hang out a lot and wasted the precious time. Most of my friends now are almost finished with their school and i barely started. So guys i will take for every embarrassment, mocking and exchange the knowledges. I guess no pain no gain. Again, thanks for whoever reading this.

Kenneth.:hardy:
 
Brief intro: i'm 26, just started school at community college for a bout a year now. i really want to be a dentist. most of you guys here are in the last completion for DAT or have your degree done. I guess i'm jealous of that. But i suppose everyone has to start somewhere. I quitted my job as waiter 6 years ago. and went for dental assistant program. So over these years i see what they'r doing and i really like it. I feel very comfortable and actually well determined when i'm in the office. So I hope with all the positive feeling. i will head in to the right direction. In the meantime, i cut my schedule of working and spend most of the time for school and DAT prep. There is no early for me any more. i used to hang out a lot and wasted the precious time. Most of my friends now are almost finished with their school and i barely started. So guys i will take for every embarrassment, mocking and exchange the knowledges. I guess no pain no gain. Again, thanks for whoever reading this.

Kenneth.:hardy:

Hey good luck in your pursuit in becoming a dentist. I'm also 26 and I've seen lots of my friends move on while I stayed behind working and...errr...struggling. Don't feel alone in this and don't feel jealous. I'm sure you possess many admirable qualities that we all wish we had. Best wishes!
 
I'm 26 too, so u r not lonely huh? just try ur best dude! I think u finally get in to somewhere if u keep trying hard. Gud luck with ur goal
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey man, hang in there and good luck in the journey ahead. It is never too late. Don't be embarassed by your life decisions. It isn't when you achieve something that matters. What matters is that you set your sights for a goal and follow through. By the time I was 26, I had already been to dental school and withdrew in my second year. Now at 35, I am in my second year of dental school again and proud to be here. My heart is set on my goal this time and nothing is going to stop me this time!

Good luck. You have come to the right place to learn about the process of getting into dental school.

Hi Navy. I'd just like to know what could cause a dental student to withdraw from school with massive amounts of unpaid loans, which possibly affected your credit score to borrow again from private sources. Would you mind sharing with us the situation you had to deal with when you were 26? Thanks.
 
I agree 100% with Regmata. The OP needs to get out of the community college ASAP. The OP should get moving on getting accepted to a four-year college to a real major to show his/her committment to academics.

Get student loans and don't bother with a part-time job for now. You will be in so much debt in D-school anyway, so a little extra student loan debt during undergrad won't really add that much to the total debt.

It is never too late to pursue your new career. I'm 35 and still waiting to get into d-school. Granted I used to be an engineer for eight years, but corporate jobs suck.
 
Yeah, I also agree. Get into a 4 yr college. That said, there are people in my class that started this year at 37 so you definitely are still on track. Don't worry about that.
 
You know... according to J.R.R. Tolkein, if we were hobbits, we're still in our "tweens," and our "coming of age" does not occur until we turn 33. HAHA Sorry... that was NOT totally random. Look at NAVY DDS 2010's picture of Smeagle... hahahahaa 😀

Ok, so... my point was that 26 is still young. Sounds like you're already on the right track! Good luck! :luck:
 
I'm 28 and trying to get in after all kinds of mayhem in school when I was younger. But I think the things that happened in my life will only motivate me to do better in class. I have a buddy that a 40y/o in his freshman class. Its never to late.
 
Age is only a number it how you see and live life that determines how old you are.

BTW: I am 33 applying for the third time. I also have 3 great kids (I am married to one of them.😉)that keep me young
 
This forum is so encouraging. I really love that! I think that was another reason why I was attracted to dentistry, it just seems people here are so much more positive/want to help you than premeds. It's such a nice positive environment, ppl aren't bringing you down or saying "you have no chance, kill yourself now", like another forum I visited. kudos to sdn predental 🙂
 
Age is only a number it how you see and live life that determines how old you are.

BTW: I am 33 applying for the third time. I also have 3 great kids (I am married to one of them.😉)that keep me young

I'm 35 with a wife and 3 kids. I hope to get in for next year. I will be 40 when I graduate. The start of my second career! I'm looking forward to it.
 
Wow,
In the same boat -- took me a long time to figure out my future -- had to do a post-bacc. My others friends are so accomplished and actually have money. I've been broke forever... BUT BUT BUT.. not for long =)
Besides that -- I AM SO GLAD I WON"T BE THE ONLY 28 YR OLD FIRST-YEAR IN DENTAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!! 😛
 
get out of the community college

I don't completely agree with this, for some people a CC is the best option.

If I had to guess the OP does not have a traditional 4 year degree already. So if he completes his AA a the CC, keeping the bulk of his science courses for a university, he will be fine. Truthfully, if one were to major in science (bio, chem, ect) the remainder of your classes would still be science courses at a 4 year.

I went to a community college, transferred to UF, graduated, now in dental school. (as an aside.... thanks to CC, I never took the SAT or ACT!!!) Don't be so quick to discount the CCs out there.

-C
 
Good for you Florida accepts CC grads...my school doesn't and neither do a lot of schools. Dental schools tend to work off of a formula and too much CC = rejection of application. Sure a few of you may sneak by, but the majority of people who go that route do not.

I am not saying that the OP should not take a few CC courses, I did, lots of people do. Full semesters and pre-reqs at a CC...if the OP really wants this, they would be wise to move to a 4 year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of people I know in dental school went to community college then transferred to a 4 year college. It probably is the smartest thing you can do to save money and keep your GPA high. You are still learning the same exact subjects, just smaller classes usually and of course MUCH cheaper. Stay at the CC and take as many prereqs as possible.
 
Don't worry about your age. I'm 28, and not even close to done with my prereqs. I totally screwed up when I was younger in school, and trying to drag my gpa out of the basement is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. Keep up the hard work man, it will be worth it. You will go through times of being depressed as hell about still being your age and still being in school, watching everyone else your age buy houses and cars and stuff, but just stay focused. More than anything stay focused. Focus and hard work and youll get there.

G
 
It is a great career move even when you are 40. Chances are you will live more comfortable than your friends who have been working since college. Work hard now and sleep more later!
 
this forum rocks. i keep on checking to see who replied. it's neat to learn from yall. Thank you. HOpe one day i will post all my DAT score and stat, hehe
KENNETH
 
Hey buddy !!! keep going I agree to all who says move to 4 year college as I recently talked to preprofession advisor and she said ..definitely 4 yr college shine on your application also because you have to have atleast some credit hrs from 4 yr college....and dont worry about the age ...I am also strating my postbac..and i have a long way to go.....