I'm Lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrgame

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of advice. I, and ORM, applied this past cycle to 16 schools and received two MD Interviews which I am both waitlisted for. I have a 1st time: 508 (128/125/126/129) and 2nd: 509 (126,124,129,130) MCAT 3.8 GPA. I've asked for feedback from many schools who told me I have "no red flags" on my application. Strong ECs with lots of paid + non-paid medical experience and a bunch of volunteering experience. Lots of research hours (Undergrad research and Clinical research coordinator) but no pubs. I really don't want to retake my MCAT unless I have to. I've been thinking about going to either the Georgetown or NYMC SMPs but I've heard that my GPA is acceptable so I shouldn't. Please give me some tips. I'm lost......

Members don't see this ad.

Did you fill out a WAMC? I can't find it.

You got 2 IIs out of 16, which is a great ratio, especially given the MCAT scores. You probably have no red flags in your application... that's why you were waitlisted. But I also don't know if you had any green flags that showed you had a strong alignment with mission fit with their programs. In other words, you are a solid applicant but not desirable enough that schools can see you thrive in their programs. (This is based on absolutely no other information about your application, so take this with a grain of salt.)

A 3.8 is not your issue, and you shouldn't go to an SMP. You got two interviews. The bones of your application are solid.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need a SMP with a GPA of 3.8 . Which schools did you apply to ? Where are your waitlist ? Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you fill out a WAMC? I can't find it.

You got 2 IIs out of 16, which is a great ratio, especially given the MCAT scores. You probably have no red flags in your application... that's why you were waitlisted. But I also don't know if you had any green flags that showed you had a strong alignment with mission fit with their programs. In other words, you are a solid applicant but not desirable enough that schools can see you thrive in their programs. (This is based on absolutely no other information about your application, so take this with a grain of salt.)

A 3.8 is not your issue, and you shouldn't go to an SMP. You got two interviews. The bones of your application are solid.

@Mr.Smile12 Thank you for your response! I did not fill out a WAMC. The only reason I'm thinking about the NYMC SMP is because they have a conditional linkage acceptance (Maintain a 3.4 GPA and have a 510 or greater MCAT) and I don't want to risk another year with no acceptance.

@Mr.Smile12 Thank you for your response! I did not fill out a WAMC. The only reason I'm thinking about the NYMC SMP is because they have a conditional linkage acceptance (Maintain a 3.4 GPA and have a 510 or greater MCAT) and I don't want to risk another year with no acceptance.
Wait... so have you gotten accepted to the NYMC SMP already? Will you start in a couple of months? If you already did so, then fine... don't worry about the MCAT, and focus on meeting the articulation agreement and not screw up on any interviews you would need to take. Don't apply until or unless you get your year's worth of SMP grades before sending off an application... but you didn't want to do that anyway. This strategy closes the door for any other medical school you would list, and you would put your eggs entirely in the NYMC SMP basket.

Of course, then I don't understand why you feel so "lost."

Wait... so have you gotten accepted to the NYMC SMP already? Will you start in a couple of months? If you already did so, then fine... don't worry about the MCAT, and focus on meeting the articulation agreement and not screw up on any interviews you would need to take. Don't apply until or unless you get your year's worth of SMP grades before sending off an application... but you didn't want to do that anyway. This strategy closes the door for any other medical school you would list, and you would put your eggs entirely in the NYMC SMP basket.

Of course, then I don't understand why you feel so "lost."
@Mr.Smile12 I actually just received the acceptance to the AMP yesterday evening but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go. I have already submitted my primary for reapplication in case I decide to do the SMP but don't meet the conditions for acceptance.

A couple questions:
1) I know you say not to worry about the MCAT but I am one point away from the MCAT requirement so just wondering why you said that.

2) A lot of people are telling me not to do an SMP because my GPA is fine. If I don't do this SMP what do you think I should do instead? Do you think 60k is worth a possible acceptance?

Thank you so so so much for your responses and everything you have done to help this community❤️

508, 509, and 510 are within their confidence bands. I would make sure the program director don't believe you have to retake the MCAT (Yeah, get it in writing).

No I don't think it is worth the 60k unless the program directors believe you have an automatic acceptance if you do the program. Depending on what you do to improve your application, you can re-apply.

What we are all saying is that it doesn't sound like you need an academic boost that justifies the 60k cost of the SMP. The program director should also say this to you as well. If not, you are only helping them get closer to their SMP enrollment goal and not necessarily looking out for your best interests.

You do not need a SMP with a GPA of 3.8 . Which schools did you apply to ? Where are your waitlist ? Where is your state of residence ?
@Faha
My school list included:
NYMC
OUWB
Albany
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Drexel
West Virginia University
Cooper Rowan
Quinnipiac
Geisinger
Georgetown
Jacobs Buffalo
Penn State
Rutgers NJMS
Tulane
University of Illinois
Wright State Boonshoft

Waitlisted at:
SUNY Downstate
OUWB

State of Residence:
New York

@Faha
My school list included:
NYMC
OUWB
Albany
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Drexel
West Virginia University
Cooper Rowan
Quinnipiac
Geisinger
Georgetown
Jacobs Buffalo
Penn State
Rutgers NJMS
Tulane
University of Illinois
Wright State Boonshoft

Waitlisted at:
SUNY Downstate
OUWB

State of Residence:
New York
Cooper Rowan, Rutgers, Geisinger, Illinois, Wright State, West Virginia admit very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state or region. I suggest these schools in your reapplication:
All 4 SUNYs
NYMC
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)

508, 509, and 510 are within their confidence bands. I would make sure the program director don't believe you have to retake the MCAT (Yeah, get it in writing).

No I don't think it is worth the 60k unless the program directors believe you have an automatic acceptance if you do the program. Depending on what you do to improve your application, you can re-apply.

What we are all saying is that it doesn't sound like you need an academic boost that justifies the 60k cost of the SMP. The program director should also say this to you as well. If not, you are only helping them get closer to their SMP enrollment goal and not necessarily looking out for your best interests.
@Mr.Smile12 I've just emailed the program director who told me that the NYMC SOM is very strict with the 510 and probably wouldn't back down from it. So I'm basically guaranteed an interview but not an acceptance unless I retake the MCAT.