I'm not sure if I should send out my AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyEyesMesmerize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem: I am retaking the MCAT in Aug so my scores wont be available till Oct. Also, My premed committee wont sent out a letter of rec until they have received those scores also with a minumum score of 27. So what do i do? Should I still send out my application now being that the schools will hold my application until those scores are in? Without those Aug scores will I be receiving secondaries? My concern is that I will recieve them with my current MCAT score but will have no committee letter to send out to the schools within their time limit to return secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't have deadlines, except I think Miami gives 2 weeks....but I still don't think that time limit includes your committee letter, only the secondary. You should probably just send in AMCAS now so you can start to receive secondaries sooner.

My pre-med advisor used to tell us that we should send in our amcas ASAP so that they can start a file on you, regardless of whether or not you plan to take the august mcat or whether or not your letters of rec are ready.

Definitely submit now. You will get plenty of secondaries without the scores (I did last year). Many of the secondaries are on-line and don't even require any sort of invitation to complete. Last year only a few schools screened pre-secondary. You want your files to be complete and just waiting for those August scores to be added in mid October (or whenever AMCAS gets around to getting them to the schools!). Hopefully your committee will send its letter quickly at that point. Good luck! :)