I'm Open to Constructive Criticism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How am I looking?
Hello ladies and gentleman I am currently on my path to a hopeful DO application for the 2017 year. My BS is near completion and I need some help of where to spend my time next. As we speak i'm studying for my MCAT, I plan to log 300 hours of studying before taking it. I am also working as an EMT (4 years) and volunteering at an emergency department one day a week. My GPA is sitting at a 3.6 with the opportunity to raise to a 3.7 before I graduate. I am a 23 year old Mexican male living in Southern California (I want to get into Western).
Future?
I was looking into three one-year masters degree programs (Bio-Medical Masters) (Liberty University, University of Florida, and Northern Colorado) . Does this look strong on an application? Or is this a complete waste of time. I would possibly be able to raise my GPA to a 3.8 and the content in the masters degree is to help study for the MCAT too.
EC's
I have been told that EC's are important but some students overdue it. Would my ER volunteer position be sufficient or should I find another?
Raising GPA to cushion a possible poor MCAT score?

Thank you all in advanced for helping me pursue my dream career.

Members don't see this ad.

Good ECs, good GPA. I wouldn't suggest the masters program but maybe someone else could provide their input as well. You just need to focus on nailing the MCAT. Having said that, I had a low GPA and my year-long masters program helped my academic standing as well as my understanding of biology and critical thinking skills. But these can be fostered without a masters program.

You sound like you're just panicking over the MCAT. Your stats and ECs are completely fine. You have everything going for you to get into medical school, just rock the damn test. Is your GPA with or without retakes, because you're competitive with MD schools too if your MCAT goes well. I can't fathom why you'd need to do an SMP of any sort. Nail them MCAT and you're going to be golden buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you wanting to get a master's degree? Your GPA is really quite good, especially for DO schools. My GPA was around where your's is, and I had a great cycle. You are likely URM, so that is advantageous to you.

I suggest focusing on studying efficiently for the MCAT and doing well enough to only have to take it once. Make a 505-508 or better and you'd be in range for all DO programs and many MD programs, as well. Look to the MCAT sub-forum for tons of tips and prep resources.

Your ECs look good, but you may want to get involved some non-clinical volunteering, in addition to your very good clinical experiences. Impactful leadership positions are always good, too. Make certain to shadow in a variety of specialties, including primary care.

I'd personally steer clear of Liberty University.

Good luck! You're doing great!

Reactions: 1 users
Masters would be a complete waste of time and money, just put all your effort into the MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Is your GPA one that made via grade replacement? If not, them as a URM candidate MD schools are also doable.

How am I looking?
Hello ladies and gentleman I am currently on my path to a hopeful DO application for the 2017 year. My BS is near completion and I need some help of where to spend my time next. As we speak i'm studying for my MCAT, I plan to log 300 hours of studying before taking it. I am also working as an EMT (4 years) and volunteering at an emergency department one day a week. My GPA is sitting at a 3.6 with the opportunity to raise to a 3.7 before I graduate. I am a 23 year old Mexican male living in Southern California (I want to get into Western).
Future?
I was looking into three one-year masters degree programs (Bio-Medical Masters) (Liberty University, University of Florida, and Northern Colorado) . Does this look strong on an application? Or is this a complete waste of time. I would possibly be able to raise my GPA to a 3.8 and the content in the masters degree is to help study for the MCAT too.
EC's
I have been told that EC's are important but some students overdue it. Would my ER volunteer position be sufficient or should I find another?
Raising GPA to cushion a possible poor MCAT score?

Thank you all in advanced for helping me pursue my dream career.

Reactions: 1 user
With your stats, while being URM...you would be an absolute fool to do a Master's program...especially one a Liberty.

Reactions: 1 users
I deeply appreciate all your input, I guess i'm setting my standards low by picking DO school. I don't really have a role model in the physician world other than my cardiologist I work with (hes old as dirt... but VERY knowledgeable, so he cant help me with the admissions part).

my academic hx
: I have never retaken a college course so my GPA is "pure", I have no academic dishonesty, no Pass/Fail, no drops, no withdraws, and I have never gotten a below a B in any course.

Regarding the masters, the only reason I was thinking of doing one is to be quite honest i'm terrified of the MCAT. Here the thing, I know im intelligent enough to rock it, I just hear from EVERYONE that it is the bane of their med school hopes and dreams...

gaining more one on one experience: how would you recommend approaching an MD/DO for shadowing? show up nicely dressed with a resume in hand? or call and ask to speak(i would probably get many answering machines....)?

I deeply appreciate all your input, I guess i'm setting my standards low by picking DO school. I don't really have a role model in the physician world other than my cardiologist I work with (hes old as dirt... but VERY knowledgeable, so he cant help me with the admissions part).

I see how this could be interpreted wrong, what I mean by this is that I havvnt even thought about any other schools other than Western because I dont think id be competative, E.g UCI, UCR, Loma Linda,, UCLA...

Honestly the best thing you can do is put everything you have into the MCAT. Aim as high as you can, being URM with those GPAs of yours combined with a good MCAT score will open a number of doors. Don't just set your sights on western, seriously, go get a 515+ and go wherever the heck you want.

I see how this could be interpreted wrong, what I mean by this is that I havvnt even thought about any other schools other than Western because I dont think id be competative, E.g UCI, UCR, Loma Linda,, UCLA...
I know a number of URM's at Loma Linda, with roughly a 3.4x/27-30 MCAT. So I don't think stat-wise that would be a problem depending on your MCAT. Of course, they also practiced the Seventh Day Adventist faith which was also likely a big factor in adcoms decision, imo.

this is amazing news! I feel so refreshed seeing that I have potential to be a competitive applicant!!