IM post FM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I m applying and have interviewed at good number of FM residency programs this year and some at very good universities and some at very nice community programs. I ve also applied to a few IM (primary care track programs) I m pretty sure (80%) that I m not interested in fellowship like I was a 1st and 2nd year medical student. Now as a 4th year I m pretty sure I want to either do Hospitalist with an outpatient practice in addition to it. If I were to do a fellowship it would likely be geri or sports med. I do occasionally think about doing critical care, it was my favorite rotation during med school (did 2 months of MICU) and I occasionally get the itch to do some more MICU work.

If after an FM residency if I still got the interest in MICU would it be possible (has it been done, and does it occur commonly) to enter an IM residency as a PGY 2 or 3? What other options would you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I m applying and have interviewed at good number of FM residency programs this year and some at very good universities and some at very nice community programs. I ve also applied to a few IM (primary care track programs) I m pretty sure (80%) that I m not interested in fellowship like I was a 1st and 2nd year medical student. Now as a 4th year I m pretty sure I want to either do Hospitalist with an outpatient practice in addition to it. If I were to do a fellowship it would likely be geri or sports med. I do occasionally think about doing critical care, it was my favorite rotation during med school (did 2 months of MICU) and I occasionally get the itch to do some more MICU work.

If after an FM residency if I still got the interest in MICU would it be possible (has it been done, and does it occur commonly) to enter an IM residency as a PGY 2 or 3? What other options would you have?
If you want to do critical care and strictly hospitalist I would do IM. It's more intensive and you aren't bogged down with the peds and OB portion of FP. Train at a larger facility that has the different types of ICU's so you get comfortable with all critical patient types.

According the the ABIM website: "ABIM may grant up to twelve months of PGY-1 credit for candidates who, prior to entering accredited training in the United States or Canada, have completed three or more years of verified internal medicine training abroad or candidates who have completed three or more years of U.S. or Canadian accredited training in another clinical specialty and certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties member Board in that specialty. All approved candidates must satisfactorily complete twenty-four months of accredited PGY-2 and PGY-3 internal medicine training as a medicine resident to be eligible to apply for admission to the Certification Examination in Internal Medicine. No credit will be granted to substitute for twenty-four months of accredited PGY-2 and PGY-3 internal medicine training. Candidates who have already completed twelve months of accredited U.S. or Canadian PGY-1 internal medicine training are not eligible to be petitioned for credit.

The candidate must be proposed by the Chairman of a Department of Medicine in an accredited medical school or the program director of an accredited residency in internal medicine. Before being proposed, the candidate should have been observed by the proposer for a minimum of three months. The candidate must demonstrate satisfactory overall clinical competence as an internist. The candidate must complete a minimum of eighteen months of direct patient responsibility during the required PGY-2 and PGY-3 training period.

The proposal must:

• Document the reasons the proposer feels the candidate merits special consideration.
  • Include letters from the program directors abroad documenting three or more years of training in internal medicine, including the exact from-to dates of training, a brief description of the training, and confirmation of the candidate's satisfactory clinical competence in the program. Please note that ABIM does not accept certificates of completion of training or certification by other certifying boards as fulfilling this requirement.
  • Include documentation that the candidate's clinical competence has been evaluated and is judged to be satisfactory.
  • Include a copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae and bibliography with current address, phone numbers and e-mail address. This information must clearly list the exact month and year from-to dates of the candidate's postdoctoral training in internal medicine abroad and in this country.
  • Include documentation of certification by an ABMS-member board in another clinical specialty, if applicable.
  • Include a non-refundable Special Candidate fee of $300.00.
  • Include the candidate's date of birth and social security / social insurance number."

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/candidates-special-consideration.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
According the the ABIM website: "ABIM may grant up to twelve months of PGY-1 credit for candidates who, prior to entering accredited training in the United States or Canada, have completed three or more years of verified internal medicine training abroad or candidates who have completed three or more years of U.S. or Canadian accredited training in another clinical specialty and certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties member Board in that specialty. All approved candidates must satisfactorily complete twenty-four months of accredited PGY-2 and PGY-3 internal medicine training as a medicine resident to be eligible to apply for admission to the Certification Examination in Internal Medicine. No credit will be granted to substitute for twenty-four months of accredited PGY-2 and PGY-3 internal medicine training. Candidates who have already completed twelve months of accredited U.S. or Canadian PGY-1 internal medicine training are not eligible to be petitioned for credit.

The candidate must be proposed by the Chairman of a Department of Medicine in an accredited medical school or the program director of an accredited residency in internal medicine. Before being proposed, the candidate should have been observed by the proposer for a minimum of three months. The candidate must demonstrate satisfactory overall clinical competence as an internist. The candidate must complete a minimum of eighteen months of direct patient responsibility during the required PGY-2 and PGY-3 training period.

The proposal must:

• Document the reasons the proposer feels the candidate merits special consideration.
  • Include letters from the program directors abroad documenting three or more years of training in internal medicine, including the exact from-to dates of training, a brief description of the training, and confirmation of the candidate's satisfactory clinical competence in the program. Please note that ABIM does not accept certificates of completion of training or certification by other certifying boards as fulfilling this requirement.
  • Include documentation that the candidate's clinical competence has been evaluated and is judged to be satisfactory.
  • Include a copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae and bibliography with current address, phone numbers and e-mail address. This information must clearly list the exact month and year from-to dates of the candidate's postdoctoral training in internal medicine abroad and in this country.
  • Include documentation of certification by an ABMS-member board in another clinical specialty, if applicable.
  • Include a non-refundable Special Candidate fee of $300.00.
  • Include the candidate's date of birth and social security / social insurance number."

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/candidates-special-consideration.aspx
I am so confused as to how this post answers the OP's questions? Not trying to be mean, I just don't understand.

I am so confused as to how this post answers the OP's questions? Not trying to be mean, I just don't understand.
Its possible to transfer into IM if you're a current FM resident. My wife's program (IM) takes one FM resident after intern year every few years.

OP asked if he could transfer into as a PGY2/3 IM resident. I answered his question by posting the current rules of the ABIM in order to transfer into as a PGY2/3 IM resident from FP.

Well, the original question was could you do an IM residency after FP residency? That's why I was confused. I agree it's easier to transfer after intern year. My eyes tend to gloss over with all the governmental idiocracy.

wanna know what i think....if ur itching to do critical care possibly....id do neither family med or IM....i would do IM/Peds residency......ull get best of both worlds.....u can do Primary care...or specialize...ur choice my friend! mind you this is with the notion that you dont want to do obstetrics....IM peds is a great option....i find seeing children very rewarding.....and i think their residency is four years!
just some food for thought
RR

Its possible to transfer into IM if you're a current FM resident. My wife's program (IM) takes one FM resident after intern year every few years.

Yes, it is possible. I have seen it a few times. Each was after the first year, of the Family Practice residency. One transferred to Anesthesiology.
Of course that depends on the availability of the place at IM.
The transfer can happen in the middle of the year too, since some new openings happen at any time, some openings are "off cycle."

Yes, it is possible. I have seen it a few times. Each was after the first year, of the Family Practice residency. One transferred to Anesthesiology.
Of course that depends on the availability of the place at IM.
The transfer can happen in the middle of the year too, since some new openings happen at any time, some openings are "off cycle."

If you were to do this... at what point would you let the PD know? seems like it would have to be almost immediately when you get there? I was thinking could you do this as a PGY2? maybe repeat your PGY2 year again?

If the IM program is in the same town then possibly FM PD and IM PD know each other. Seek guidance from IM PD about it.
Otherwise base your decision on the local culture and FM PD personality.
Consider choosing some IM-type rotations in the program you are interested in. We used to have rotations with IM residents quite often - both IM & FP residencies were based at the same hospital.
I personally think that if is good idea to repeat PGY2. The reality is that any residency program requirements need to be completed to graduate. Possibly some PGY2 rotations are equivalent for both residency programs.