IM Procedures during Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ErrantWhatever

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those already in training and beyond, is there any added value to your CV if you get certified in things like paracentesis or placing central lines while in your prelim year? I've done a couple of these but then have been super busy on other days and hand them off to some of my categorical classmates who really want/need numbers. I hadn't seen this matter addressed in the past and just was curious. Thanks!
 
To those already in training and beyond, is there any added value to your CV if you get certified in things like paracentesis or placing central lines while in your prelim year? I've done a couple of these but then have been super busy on other days and hand them off to some of my categorical classmates who really want/need numbers. I hadn't seen this matter addressed in the past and just was curious. Thanks!
I did a lot of these types of procedures intern year, and it hasn't been thought about since. You probably could use it in an inpt gig, but I hope you never have to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The certifications don't matter, but some of the skills you learn (ultrasound guided CVCs, a-lines, putting needles into tight spaces) translate decently into PM&R procedures.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
My categorical intern year had a month on the rheumatology service. I logged a TON of joint injections/aspirations that month--both blind on the floor and US guided in clinic. Either way, I'd definitely recommend a rheum elective/selective if you have the option.