How many prelim/transitional, advanced, and categorical to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megan1010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many programs is it recommended to apply for prelims, transitional, advanced, and categorical?

This sounds like it will be a hectic interview season. I figured I will apply to both prelims and transitionals, although I kind of am more interested in a transitional year if I'm being honest. I'd prefer a categorical program so definitely going to apply to those where I can, and then obviously advanced positions, but I'm struggling coming up with a good breakdown of how much to apply to each one.

What are others doing for this cycle or have done in the past? Any suggestions? I'm working on narrowing down a list this month. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your overall application (stats, scores, CV, research, etc). The magic interview number for matching PMR seems to be ~11 and typically at least half that number for prelims (medicine or TY). Although I know some people matching with less and not matching with more. I know the trend nowadays is to over-apply to programs and then cancel interviews, but this really causes significant undue strain on the system as a whole, so I would advise against this. From what I've seen the lower end is ~25 PMR apps with probably the same number of prelims (for competitive applicants); on the higher end it would be double that (which was the case for me personally).