IM program invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw on the spreadsheet some people got invites. I wouldn't send a second LOI, I think that would annoy them
Like recent invites? I sent an LOI over a month ago. Im assuming it got lost or something

Members don't see this ad.

So far this week it has only been rejections for me.. anyone get an invite?
Texas Tech the day after Thanksgiving at 1130pm lol but thats it. Not super pumped about the program by any means but hey its another invite and I needed them. Im finally at 13 so I think im good as far as being safe but Im still waiting on GW Emory Miami and Baylor

Reactions: 1 user
Texas Tech the day after Thanksgiving at 1130pm lol but thats it. Not super pumped about the program by any means but hey its another invite and I needed them. Im finally at 13 so I think im good as far as being safe but Im still waiting on GW Emory Miami and Baylor
Miami and Baylor dates are full as of now but maybe more movement will occur in December

Members don't see this ad :)
noooo BCM houston? (not BUMC Dallas or BSW). Do u know this for sure? do you have an interview at BCM houston?
Yeah i have an iv at BCM houston. The dates are full on ERAS unless they have other dates that dont show up for me.

Anyone think its worth reaching out to a program if you are waitlisted for an interview date or should I just wait?

insane especially coming from a no name program. thats awesome
Yea man it's awesome to see that, was shocked but I guess it happens more often than we think. BIDMC/Harvard Pulm/CC took 2 people from mount Sinai community program in Miami it seems like as well

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai Miami isnt a bad program at all either strong community program
Yup it's a solid program no doubt , but wouldn't expect BIDMC to take 2 from there considering they probably have soo many mid and top tier university candidates and Pulm-Crit is getting really competitive these days lol.

• Love
Definitely sucks when you been on the waitlist for iv dates for a program and they decided to add another interview day...but then realize you have a schedule conflict that day.....its a like a slap in the face when I see "1 available to schedule" every time I log into ERAS

Just got a phone call from a program I sent a LOI about a month ago offering me an interview! Still hope y'all!

Got an invite today...first one in awhile..but can't even schedule bc of another schedule conflict =( Really hoping for movement on WL dates

Congrats! I believe there will be WL movement through Dec and Jan
A spot actually did open up on one of the dates I wanted =) Its interesting how there is more movement in some programs than others. Last week Baylor has 0 spots opened and now its at 7. In contrast, I've been on the WL for Virginia Tech since October and still no luck.

Got an invite today from a random academic program that I have no ties to... the trickle is real!

Oh ok cool bc FRIEDA said “community based”. I always thought it was academic
Hmm not sure I guess it's cause it's affiliated with a community hospital called sentara norfolk but I still think it's academic.

How are people doing in 230 step range?
I have a low 230 for step 1…I think its been fine but one thing I realized is that there are definitely regional preference..I didnt get many iv in nyc and none in philly. I also didnt hear back from many community programs which was kind of surprising. I would suggest to apply broadly but make sure to apply to a lot of programs in the region you went to medical school.

Yeah maybe thats it because during interview day they were referring to themselves as an academic institution
Yea I would base it off the feel you get from IV day...there are programs on FREIDA that said "University based" but I know for a fact those programs are more community based

How are people in 220s range doing? Just curious

Do you guys think academic IM programs are more okay with residents wanting to go into fellowship or do you think they rather hear applicants say they want to be a hospitalist?

Do you guys think academic IM programs are more okay with residents wanting to go into fellowship or do you think they rather hear applicants say they want to be a hospitalist?
It def does not matter at all. Ive interviewed at multiple academic programs of all tiers thus far and most have a nice split of fellowship and hospitalist

Last edited:
It def does not matter at all. Ive interviewed at multiple academic programs of all tiers thus far and most have a nice split of fellowship and hospitalist
I'm wondering because when I was asked why IM, I had mention that a big driving factor was my interest to specialize. I'm not sure if I was suppose to hide the fact that I want to specialize, although I wrote it in my personal statement as well. It just sucks if I will be judged negatively for giving an honest response.

I'm wondering because when I was asked why IM, I had mention that a big driving factor was my interest to specialize. I'm not sure if I was suppose to hide the fact that I want to specialize, although I wrote it in my personal statement as well. It just sucks if I will be judged negatively for giving an honest response.
Honestly they will not hold that against you. You did not mess up at all and you dont need to worry. For your next interviews maybe say something about why internal medicine in particular just to play their game. So like one reason could be to specialize but also maybe because youre very cerebral and like to think through diagnosis and enjoy problem solving which is basicaly 90% of IM. That should have you covered.

Honestly they will not hold that against you. You did not mess up at all and you dont need to worry. For your next interviews maybe say something about why internal medicine in particular just to play their game. So like one reason could be to specialize but also maybe because youre very cerebral and like to think through diagnosis and enjoy problem solving which is basicaly 90% of IM. That should have you covered.
Thank you! I'm still so sad over my answer and really hoping I didn't blow my chance. I will definitely make sure to incorporate a little more next time.

Thank you! I'm still so sad over my answer and really hoping I didn't blow my chance. I will definitely make sure to incorporate a little more next time.
naw dont worry about it. And dont listen to reddit spreadsheet I think I saw your post there are plenty of gunner dinguses on there

naw dont worry about it. And dont listen to reddit spreadsheet I think I saw your post there are plenty of gunner dinguses on there
Aw thanks! I appreciate it! Definitely felt crummy after seeing those responses. I always ruminate on all my interview answers afterwards which sucks.

Super random, but @Deecee2DO I'm a first year at RowanSOM and I'm super stoked to see all your interview invites! Can't wait to see our match list this year -- best of luck to you!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Super random, but @Deecee2DO I'm a first year at RowanSOM and I'm super stoked to see all your interview invites! Can't wait to see our match list this year -- best of luck to you!
Thanks!! I think it will be really really strong! my two roommates and best buddies in my class have interviews at Columbia for FM and UNC Chapel Hill and UMaryland for EM!

Has anyone sent out Thank you emails? If so, did anyone get a response back? I sent my first one this morning. The PD specifically said Thank you emails are welcomed. Not sure if its a bad sign if they don't respond or if that is expected.

I've sent them out to two programs. One of them i got responses from both faculty interviewers and the PD, and they mentioned in them very detailed specific things we talked about. The other one I didn't get any response back.

If they say thank yous are welcomed but then don't respond, i think it's just because they're being cautious of NRMP guidelines.

I sent one to a APD since he specifically gave me his email. He replied back saying he was grateful that my day went well and blah blah

Has anyone sent out Thank you emails? If so, did anyone get a response back? I sent my first one this morning. The PD specifically said Thank you emails are welcomed. Not sure if its a bad sign if they don't respond or if that is expected.
I've sent them after every interview unless they specifically say not to. Sometimes I get a response, sometimes not. I don't think it means anything.

Reactions: 2 users
You guys think its worth sending LOI now? I know its super late...