IM Residency Advice MD vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DforDr88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, submitting rank list soon and need advice. I'm a 4th year at a east coast DO school. My #1 program is a MD program I did a sub-I at, where I got a LOR from my attending (who said he "hopes to work with me this fall") and I think the residents liked me. It's a DO friendly program, they have a handful each year. Problem is that's my only MD program, rest are DO. I want to go there but am afraid it may be too risky giving up the DO match for just one MD spot.

My stats don't do me any favors either: failed Comlex level 1 once (repeat score is 450), level 2 CE score of 400, no other fails, good extra curricular leadership roles and community service.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, submitting rank list soon and need advice. I'm a 4th year at a east coast DO school. My #1 program is a MD program I did a sub-I at, where I got a LOR from my attending (who said he "hopes to work with me this fall") and I think the residents liked me. It's a DO friendly program, they have a handful each year. Problem is that's my only MD program, rest are DO. I want to go there but am afraid it may be too risky giving up the DO match for just one MD spot.

My stats don't do me any favors either: failed Comlex level 1 once (repeat score is 450), level 2 CE score of 400, no other fails, good extra curricular leadership roles and community service.

Any advice would be appreciated!
your goal is to have a job come july 1st...basically you would be suicide matching in the NRMP...ask yourself if you are that competitive an applicant to do this?

Reactions: 2 users
High risk, high reward vs lower risk, lower-but-more-likely reward.

Since you didn’t mention it I’m guessing you don’t have USMLE scores?

I know what I would do, but SDN can’t really know how much of a risk taker you are or how risk averse you are. Suicide matching NRMP might be worth it to you. As long as you realize that’s what you are doing, the choice is up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Main point from the above link

“As for not entering the DO match, I will give the same example I have given before i.e. Would you pass up a sure shot w/ Jessica Alba, just for a chance at Megan Fox??? Fox is definitely hotter but Alba isn't too shabby herself. :)

Reactions: 1 users
The attending the that wrote the letter doesn't know your board scores, right?

How important is fellowship to you?

What's the plan if you don't match?

“As for not entering the DO match, I will give the same example I have given before i.e. Would you pass up a sure shot w/ Jessica Alba, just for a chance at Megan Fox??? Fox is definitely hotter but Alba isn't too shabby herself. :)

Megan Fox hotter than Jessica Alba? When was your last optometry appointment?

Reactions: 6 users
The attending the that wrote the letter doesn't know your board scores, right?

How important is fellowship to you?

What's the plan if you don't match?

Yes the attending doesn't know about my scores, is that a good thing? I would like to do a fellowship, or it would be nice to to have that option wide open. If I don't get the MD spot, I would scramble and then if I still don't match, maybe a transitional year into IM.

I'm leaning towards applying to my top 3 DO programs, and if I don't get those, then NRMP suicide match.

Yes the attending doesn't know about my scores, is that a good thing? I would like to do a fellowship, or it would be nice to to have that option wide open. If I don't get the MD spot, I would scramble and then if I still don't match, maybe a transitional year into IM.

I'm leaning towards applying to my top 3 DO programs, and if I don't get those, then NRMP suicide match.

With your scores, having failed COMLEX 1, and (it seems) no USMLE score you are at a very big disadvanatge.

If you don’t match in any of your top 3 DO schools, then you will competing against all unmatched applicants, some of whom will have much better stats than you but tried for a more competitive specialty and are now settling for IM.

There is no reason, other than misplaced optimism, to only rank 3 programs.

Rank everyone that is nice enough to give you an interview.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

Reactions: 3 users

so what makes you think that you are competitive enough to get the MD spot...or even SOAP...its not like you are a stellar DO student and there will be US seniors that were applying to derm, rad onc, ortho, etc that didn't match and will be considered rockstars for an IM slot. Those are are the ones you will be competing with for the fewer and fewer SOAP spots.

you have a good chance to get a DO residency..take it unless you are ok with not having anything for a year.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, pardon my bluntness, but you'd be absolutely crazy to pass on the DO match. Board scores aren't everything, but yours are really weak. If you look at the NRMP charting outcomes document for DOs, your level 1 score is barely in the interquartile range for unmatched applicants, and your level 2 score is below the interquartile range for unmatched applicants. And that's with a level 1 failure. There's a reason you only got 1 MD interview, and I'd bet it's not that you only applied to 1 MD program. The interview was a courtesy interview because you did a sub-I with them. Being able to pass the IM boards is a big deal to PDs (failures reflect badly on the program), and you are about as big a risk as they come with your COMLEX history.

And your plan if you don't match isn't very good. You will not be a competitive applicant in the SOAP. And you won't be a more competitive applicant next year. There's another whole year of applicants that you will be competing with and your application isn't going to look any better being a year out of school.

Again, not trying to be mean, just realistic. You need to put all your efforts into getting ANY spot this year, DO or MD.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, pardon my bluntness, but you'd be absolutely crazy to pass on the DO match. Board scores aren't everything, but yours are really weak. If you look at the NRMP charting outcomes document for DOs, your level 1 score is barely in the interquartile range for unmatched applicants, and your level 2 score is below the interquartile range for unmatched applicants. And that's with a level 1 failure. There's a reason you only got 1 MD interview, and I'd bet it's not that you only applied to 1 MD program. The interview was a courtesy interview because you did a sub-I with them. Being able to pass the IM boards is a big deal to PDs (failures reflect badly on the program), and you are about as big a risk as they come with your COMLEX history.

And your plan if you don't match isn't very good. You will not be a competitive applicant in the SOAP. And you won't be a more competitive applicant next year. There's another whole year of applicants that you will be competing with and your application isn't going to look any better being a year out of school.

Again, not trying to be mean, just realistic. You need to put all your efforts into getting ANY spot this year, DO or MD.

I would have to agree with this assessment.

Also, if for some reason you don't match, it would probably be worth trying to extend graduation for a year if possible.

Yeah y'all are right, I don't know what I was thinking even considering putting all my money on MD match alone. Needed that reality check, thank you everyone for your input!

Yeah y'all are right, I don't know what I was thinking even considering putting all my money on MD match alone. Needed that reality check, thank you everyone for your input!
I don’t want to pile on here because it looks like you’re making the right decision but for others in the future who may find themselves in the same situation: having a letter from with someone that says they “hope to work with you in the future“ is not by any means a commitment. As a matter of fact its fairly standard language in letters and is considered non-committal at best by most.

In addition I assume the letter was written without his knowledge of your board failure or lack of USMLE scores. Even if it was, residency decisions are not made in isolation. We’ve all seen someone advocate for a friend or family member who was substandard and have it vetoed by others. So having a single persons Support is generally not enough.

You’re doing the right thing by going for the AOA match.

Are you out of your mind? Jessica Alba is the most beautiful creature that even set foot in this planet...