MD IM residency chances with red flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current USMD M3 interested in IM

My situation is a little bit special because I struggled academically throughout medical school. I got Bs and Cs in preclinicals, failed one preclinical course, and had to go on a LoA and repeat third year. I am currently finishing up third year after LoA and my grades are ok so far (one honor and 3 passes). My shelf exam scores have been 70s and one 80 something score.

Before medical school, I did a lot of research (7 co authored pubs) and a variety of volunteering such as homeless clinic, mentoring disadvantaged student etc.
As a medical student, I only did few homeless clinic volunteering and no research other than the poster required by my school.

I do feel that I have improved a lot as a student. Compared to preclinical years, I feel a lot more confident academically.

For someone like me, where can I go for residency realistically? I am not exactly sure what kind of programs I should be aiming for. (Mid tier or low tier academic programs, community programs etc.)

Should I only aim for programs that mainly pick DOs and IMGs due to my academic history?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the reputation of your school? Where do students from your school match in IM? How good will your LOR be? Would you be happy at your home program?

For someone like me, where can I go for residency realistically? I am not exactly sure what kind of programs I should be aiming for. (Mid tier or low tier academic programs, community programs etc.)
You should deploy the ancient and time-tested strategy of applying to a variety of programs: some academic, some community, some higher tier, some lower tier.

You should also connect with the specialty-specific advisor(s) your school has for IM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us more about the LOA and why that came up in 3rd year? Was it related to academic or professionalism issues, or was it for something external to medical school.

Regardless, you can certainly match IM, it's a matter of where. If you apply broadly you'll match.

What is the reputation of your school? Where do students from your school match in IM? How good will your LOR be? Would you be happy at your home program?
Top 100 state MD school

We had a pretty good match this year for IM.
People got into a variety of places such as Harvard, JHU, UCLA, Baylor, mid tier and low tier state schools, and community programs. What I have noticed that pretty much no one from my school goes to our home IM program every year because it’s considered a “subpar” program that recruits a lot of IMGs.

I’m not sure about LORs at this point. They should be at least ok I think? Haven’t gotten any yet.

It would be nice to stay close to family and go to my home program but I think I would be happier leaving. But then if I am only competitive enough for my home program it is what it is.

Last edited:
Can you tell us more about the LOA and why that came up in 3rd year? Was it related to academic or professionalism issues, or was it for something external to medical school.

Regardless, you can certainly match IM, it's a matter of where. If you apply broadly you'll match.
It was an academic issue :( I failed two shelf exams during third year so my school asked me to go on LOA and repeat third year. The shelf exam failures won’t appear on my record but the fact that I repeated third year will. My dean said that when she writes the MSPE she will be as nice about this as she can.

I did a lot of reflection and pre studying during the leave and now I am doing a lot better getting around 70s and 80s on shelves and honored one rotation so far. I am hoping that step 2 will go well too.

Last edited:
It sounds as though you are on the right track now. Doing well on Step 2, passing all your clinical rotations, and getting decent letters will set you up to match. As Med Ed said, apply to a range of programs.

It sounds as though you are on the right track now. Doing well on Step 2, passing all your clinical rotations, and getting decent letters will set you up to match. As Med Ed said, apply to a range of programs.
What step score should I aim for considering everything in my post?