This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gele021

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This isn't a formal WAMC because I don't have my step 2 score yet, but I wanted a general sense of where I stand as I start thinking about IM residency programs to apply to. I go to a top 30 med school with no internal ranking, P/F preclinicals that I passed, decent research (no pubs), good volunteering, and leadership in a free clinic. The only issue is I only got three HP and three P during MS3 with no H, but my comments were great with no red flags. I want to eventually do Cardiology or Heme/onc and wanted to know my general chances at matching top 20 and if a step 2 score would make a difference.
 
Much depends upon the grade distributions in clerkships at your school. But with three HP and three P's, you're likely to end up in the bottom half of your class. Top programs often are looking for people with top quartile performance. At most schools, almost everyone gets an H on a SubI - so that's unlikley to change anything. The good news is that you can match into a good university program with your performance, and you'll be able to get a good fellowship from there. The focus here on "top xx" is honestly a poison.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Much depends upon the grade distributions in clerkships at your school. But with three HP and three P's, you're likely to end up in the bottom half of your class. Top programs often are looking for people with top quartile performance. At most schools, almost everyone gets an H on a SubI - so that's unlikley to change anything. The good news is that you can match into a good university program with your performance, and you'll be able to get a good fellowship from there. The focus here on "top xx" is honestly a poison.
I'd be happy to match anywhere academic tbh. I was just wondering if I should even consider applying to any of those schools or if it would be a waste.
 
The best source of info is probablly your school. They should know, over the last few years, how people with your level of performance did in Anesthesia.
Yes and I will be doing that. I also wanted general opinions from people who know before I have my meeting with my IM advisor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.