IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mueen ghani

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a question about what evryone has heard about getting IM residency slots in the SF/Bay Area? I am really interested, but I keep hearing different things about board scores/not DO friendly/exceptionally competitive etc etc. Anyone out there have a good idea of what they are looking for, and what I can do to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by mueen ghani:
Hi everyone,
I have a question about what evryone has heard about getting IM residency slots in the SF/Bay Area? I am really interested, but I keep hearing different things about board scores/not DO friendly/exceptionally competitive etc etc. Anyone out there have a good idea of what they are looking for, and what I can do to be competitive?

My classmates have gotten interviews at UCSF, Kaiser, Stanford, UC Davis, etc... They key is to do rotations there. They have no problems with DOs. I'll try to post our match results when they come out. Assuming I can get my hands on a copy. Make sure you do a sub-i there and try to get a LOR from a top-notch program like UCSF or Stanford. This will increase your chances at other programs in the area.