I'm scared to retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annabelle.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK Guys,
I don't know what to do....
I got a 25P on the MCAT and was soooo happy about it because I hate that stupid test, but my GPA from Vanderbilt was a 2.97 with a BCPM of 2.73, so obviously I need a higher MCAT score. BUT I am really scared to take it again. What if I do worse??? Would it be a really big mistake to not take it again, but instead do some post-bacc work and go for my masters, and then maybe in a year or two MAYBE think about taking it again (it has already been a year since I took it the first time)

Members don't see this ad.

coesp said:
OK Guys,
I don't know what to do....
I got a 25P on the MCAT and was soooo happy about it because I hate that stupid test, but my GPA from Vanderbilt was a 2.97 with a BCPM of 2.73, so obviously I need a higher MCAT score. BUT I am really scared to take it again. What if I do worse??? Would it be a really big mistake to not take it again, but instead do some post-bacc work and go for my masters, and then maybe in a year or two MAYBE think about taking it again (it has already been a year since I took it the first time)

Hi, I think you are probably going to have to put a little work into your application. Taking some post-bacc classes would be a good idea to get your GPA up a little. Once you take more science classes, you will probably be in a better place in order to improve on your MCAT score. Post-bacc is probably better than Masters since post-bacc will go toward your BCPM (and masters stuff won't).

Personally I would not take the MCAT again yet. Unless you didn't study for it at all the first time. Even so, I think it would be hard to get into school with your current GPA, even if you did improve the MCAT substantially. If you build a little better science foundation, you will probably have more MCAT success. Then make sure you REALLY prepare for it.

Good luck.

coesp said:
OK Guys,
do some post-bacc work and go for my masters, and then maybe in a year or two MAYBE think about taking it again

You're thinking along the right lines of what you should do here. As the above poster said, doing a post-bacc program will be best since your new grades can be used to improve your science GPA. I'm not sure what factors attributed to your undergrad GPA, but if it was not understanding the material, then I would hold off on retaking the MCAT so soon. Do the post-bacc first, re-learn the material, improve your grades, and you should be prepped to take the MCAT again at the same time.

Btw, don't be scared.. I took it 3 times- now that's scary :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Take lots of practice tests! I do not test well and got a 27 the first time. I didn't take many practice tests, although I was taking Kaplan, I never showed up. The second time, I took Princeton Review, and showed up to EVERY practice test. It helped so much!

Just don't build it up in your head! That makes it even worse. With your GPA, you definitely need to do better on the MCAT, and you can if you just practice a lot, take a course if it is financially feasible, and relax.

I think improving your gpa is more important than the mcat grade. It also depends on which schools you want to go to and apply to. I mean to a more competitive school.. you'll need a much higher MCAT and GPA. If you want to go to DO school, your Mcat should be fine for some schools. However, your gpa needs to be at least a 3.0. I am sure there are people who gotten accepted w/ gpa under 3.0, but it would make you a better candidate if it was higher.

I would do some post-bacc classes to raise the GPA. At the same time, do some hands on work, emt, hospital, etc. Goodluck.

I would also agree with the above posters. A GPA of minimally 3.0 is an absolue must. The MCAT...depending on where you are applying, what your experiences are etc, is negligable. After boosting your GPA, hint: if you are applying to DO programs, retake classes you got lower than B's, and your NEW grade will completely wipe out the old grade and SKYROCKET your GPA. It is fast and works wonderfully...my C's turned to A's and I was saved.

Let us know how things turn out!

If you want to get into an MD school, you will no choice but to raise your overall and science GPA to at least a 3.0 and then get a minimum of a 30 on your MCAT. Now, I'm certain people will tell you that they got in with far less and I'm certain they did but they are the minority and not the majority. If you want a prayer at getting into an MD school, you need a really competitive MCAT score and 30 is pushing. Realistically, we are looking at a 33 and higher.

If I were in your situation, I would only look at DO schools. Since you are afraid of the MCAT, you won't study for it and a 25 isn't bad for a DO school. Retake your classes you got C's or below in and raise your GPA. When you apply through AACOMAS, the last time you took a course replaces your bad grade GPA wise. The bad grade will still show on the transcript but it won't be computed into your GPA.

just do it!!!
don't let this one test stop you from you achieving your dream
MCAT is not impposible...
it just has a huge load of material to understand and memorize...
it's a matter of time you invest in studying..
go for it..
undefined

A friend of mine had a similar GPA to yours, but scored a 34 on the MCAT. He got no love from any med schools. Having a low GPA (<3.0) will hurt you very much. I suggest a post-bacc, or even a Master's.

I know it sucks, but GPA and MCAT scores are used by adcoms as a predictor of your ability to handle the academic rigor of medical school. Ask yourself...with your low GPA and MCAT, do you think you'd do well in med-school? I asked myself the same question because of my uGPA and to be honest, I wasn't sure. However, completing a Master's program with a 3.7 really boosted my confidence.

My advice...identify why you scored so low on the MCAT. Was it because you didn't study or are your study habits not effective? How you study is just as important as how much you study. Also take additional challenging coursework in the form of a post-bacc/Masters. You're in a position where you have to prove yourself.

Good luck! :)
Nina

I havent read all the posts, but from what i did read, It seems that a good choice would be to enter a post-bacc program and raise the GPA to at least >3.0, and then take the MCAT again, are you applying to osteopathic or allopathic schools?