IM SEL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do I find a list of programs that need this? Or is this mostly for IMGs? AM i screwed if i plan on just 3 lor?

Members don't see this ad.

The SEL is just a new fancy term for the "chair" or "department" letter. They all mean the same thing. In IM, the "Chair" letter is almost never written by the chair -- it's a summary letter written by someone in the Department, sometimes gets signed by the chair.

They are particularly useless for IMG's. And most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way is to look up on each program's website. Not having it will probably limit your options to apply to, as many program makes the chair letter a requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
The SEL is just a new fancy term for the "chair" or "department" letter. They all mean the same thing. In IM, the "Chair" letter is almost never written by the chair -- it's a summary letter written by someone in the Department, sometimes gets signed by the chair.

They are particularly useless for IMG's. And most DO schools.
so a pd letter is essentially the same? or should I have my IM PD write a letter + SEL to be safe?

so a pd letter is essentially the same? or should I have my IM PD write a letter + SEL to be safe?
If you're a medical student, then there is no requirement for a PD letter. If you happen to work with a PD, then they may write you a letter. At a few schools, the PD writes all of the department/chair letters.

If you're a resident applying for fellwship, then your PD writes you a letter and there is no "chair" letter.