ERAS IM SEL Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingman123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting for a friend*

So I’m in a bit of time crunch situation here. I will be applying internal medicine this year and I have 3 LORs already (2 IM and one FM). I have a department/chair of medicine letter on the way but they are waiting to see if I can get an SEL from a preceptor to attach to the department/chair letter. My problem is my SEL letter writer hasn’t responded to my emails in a week, so I’m not sure what to do. My question is, do I actually need this SEL letter as part of my chair/department of medicine letter? My school is okay to write the letter without an SEL so that is a last resort option for me. I realize some programs specify SEL but it’s seems like it’s mostly a couple upper tier academic programs from a brief internet search.

**I go to a DO school so a preceptor typically writes the SEL and can attach the department letter if possible

Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, SEL's from DO schools are useless. If some random preceptor fills it out, that completely negates the whole point of it. It's designed to be completed by the department itself to evaluate and summarize each student.

In general, SEL's from DO schools are useless. If some random preceptor fills it out, that completely negates the whole point of it. It's designed to be completed by the department itself to evaluate and summarize each student.
Most schools are using it as a way to add an extra letter without consuming a spot. Still in the SEL format though, just with comments aka a letter of rec. Can't say I've heard of any SEL coming from the entire department though.