IM Shelf Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneticsGoddess

Newly-minted M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some old threads about this, but nothing that I found that's too relevant to my case. I have to take my IM shelf exam in just over 2 weeks. I will not be working or doing anything else during this time and will be spending all of my time dedicated to studying for this exam (oh joy). I am almost done with the UWorld questions and I am wondering what to do to prepare. Redo the incorrect UWorld questions?

Did anyone use MKSAP? It wasn't something I heard much about as far as student use during my rotation but now I'm hearing that some people use it for the shelf exam. Is it helpful? What exactly is it? Just questions or reading too?

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! It will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow you get 2 weeks free to study for a shelf? If you've done the uworld questions you're already ahead of the game. I did part of MKSAP and felt it to be useful, but its just more questions and I think you've got that covered (they have good explanations). If i were you I'd just concentrate on step up to medicine, and then maybe hit the missed questions in uworld if you have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what do you think of case files for IM?

MKSAP is a question bank. There is a MKSAP for students on their IM rotation and a MKSAP for IM residents. You want the one for medical students.

I did MKSAP 3 and 4 before my shelf, read step up to medicine and did the UW questions. If you do those things you should do well.

I personally never liked case files.

2 weeks? Get through Step up to medicine. You've already done all the UWorld questions? You're ahead of the curve.

I did Case Files b/c I heard it was good. In hindsight, it wasn't terrible, but I think the main thing that hurt me was having IM as my first rotation. Lots of Surgery/OBgyn stuff on there I hadn't had yet.