I'm So Lost...Why is This So Difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted693225

U

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would wait until you get your MCAT score. There's no point in submitting now if your MCAT isn't up to par. Once you get your MCAT score, you can submit your application. Remember, once you submit and your MCAT score comes back not so good, you would have to reapply next year as a reapplicant and that would significantly lower your chances.

I would apply with the LOR you have now if your health committee won't write one for you early enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Related question: Are LOR part of your primary or secondary? Can I submit my primary without LOR and still get verified?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first post. I'm actually really desperate for some advice. So I'm filling out my DO primary and studying for my MCAT and I feel this void now. This is my first time taking the MCAT.

I have a non-science GPA of 3.36
Science: 3.17

My question is concerning LOR's.

I did not go through the health science committee because I didn't have the time. My advisor is in charge and refuses to write me a letter because I could have gone through. I accept that. In response I have managed to get a few LOR confirmations.

My thing is...should I go through the Committe and get a letter luckily in October/November or apply now with my LOR

The LOR's I have are from...

1. Physics Prof/Research Profess: Known for 2 years, researched with her, is like a friend to me, got A's both sems.

2. Lab Profess: Another professor that is like a friend. I took two labs with her and got A's. I've known her for 3 years.

3. Research Prof/Club advisor (non science) Met her my fresh. year, did some research with her. Started an environmental club with her as advisor. We worked together to ban pesticides on campus.

4. Humanities Prof: Took 2 classes, got A's. He saw me struggle with class but work my way through it. Always had a strong classroom presence. (plus hes a writing professor..bound to be somewhat good)

5. Provost (Dean of students): Known for 2 years. Did a program and she was the overseer. She also met with me during student government. She wanted to set up an appt. to go over a LOR

6. Doctor: My PCP who I shadowed with for about 50 hours. She's badass. Known me for almost 5 years now.

Should I stick with my LOR's and not go through the committee?

With my stats, I feel better applying early....and I can answer the committee thing honestly.

I just looked through the AACOMAs book. Most schools request a committee letter OR a science and non science letter.

In my case, would it be better to apply early or wait for that committee letter which won't be as personal as my LOR's from professors.

You cAn apply now with a throw away school and get verified. In the mean time wait for your scores as the poster above me implied. In the mean time try to get that letter. Ive been told if schools know you had a pre med committee and you did not go through that they might see it as a flag.

When do you plan on taking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Related question: Are LOR part of your primary or secondary? Can I submit my primary without LOR and still get verified?!?!

You submit your letter for schools that send you secondaries. Nothing gets looked at until your app is complete.

I would wait until you get your MCAT score. There's no point in submitting now if your MCAT isn't up to par. Once you get your MCAT score, you can submit your application. Remember, once you submit and your MCAT score comes back not so good, you would have to reapply next year as a reapplicant and that would significantly lower your chances.

I would apply with the LOR you have now if your health committee won't write one for you early enough.

Yes. I'm waiting for the score. Thank you for your reply!

I'm taking it August 22nd

You cAn apply now with a throw away school and get verified. In the mean time wait for your scores as the poster above me implied. In the mean time try to get that letter. Ive been told if schools know you had a pre med committee and you did not go through that they might see it as a flag.

When do you plan on taking it?

What do you mean a throwaway school?

Right... that is my risk. I don't know what to do.

What do you mean a throwaway school?

Right... that is my risk. I don't know what to do.

Apply to a single school that you know you have little chance of getting in or you yourself are not interested.

But i think you may need a mcAt on file to get verified. Just trying to save you some time because verfication takes time.

I have similar stats, and im taking mine in September. Bear in mind that its a longer cycle and as long as you apply broadly, youll get some attention.

The real question is, cAn you somehow get the letter? Because its one thing if youve been out of school for a while, but because you still attend, adcoms will question why you couldnt go through the comittee.

I have similar stats, and im taking mine in September. Bear in mind that its a longer cycle and as long as you apply broadly, youll get some attention.

The real question is, cAn you somehow get the letter? Because its one thing if youve been out of school for a while, but because you still attend, adcoms will question why you couldnt go through the comittee.

Yes I can get the letter.. I am going to be a senior this year.

So say I get my MCAT score...can't I submit my application for verification without my score and once I get my score, choose not to apply to secondary?

My timeline of events:

August: take MCAT, fill out AACOMAS

Sept 1st. : submit AACOMAS

Sept end ish: apply to committee

October 1st: get score...if my score sucks, I just choose not to fill out seconardies?

But if I'm at least 60% + in all categories I'm going to apply....

Isn't November considerd the LATEST?

Yes I can get the letter.. I am going to be a senior this year.

So say I get my MCAT score...can't I submit my application for verification without my score and once I get my score, choose not to apply to secondary?

My timeline of events:

August: take MCAT, fill out AACOMAS

Sept 1st. : submit AACOMAS

Sept end ish: apply to committee

October 1st: get score...if my score sucks, I just choose not to fill out seconardies?

But if I'm at least 60% + in all categories I'm going to apply....

Isn't November considerd the LATEST?

I think you need a score on file with an indicated test date to be verified. Not sure about that.

But if you could get verified, just have secondaries filled out and submit right away.

@Goro will tell you that the DO cycle is longer. I spoke to many adcoms recrntly too and they said this year many folks will take the mcat late because of wanting to study longer. Im taking mine in september and i intend to freaking demolish that thing.

I thought you fill out the primary, get verified, then get II?

I thought you fill out the primary, get verified, then get II?

No, you need to wait for the schools to send you a secondary, along with another payment. A secondary has some short essays about yourself or why did you choose their school, etc. They will then review your file, and then give you a II. The process can vary in timing in that you can get a II immediately after you submit the secondary, or that it could take weeks or months before you get a II. It depends on the school and how quickly they go through application and how much they want you in their school.

If you are absolutely sure you're going to apply this cycle no matter what, then yes, I would apply to a throwaway school that you know you won't go to no matter what so at least you can start the verification process.

However, keep in mind that some schools DO ask if you've applied to other DO schools in the previous years (CUSOM comes to mind,) so be careful of this strategy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My school does committee letters. I did not obtain a committee letter due to them releasing it late as you said and had similar letters as you have above. I was accepted to multiple schools and it was never brought up.

This is my first post. I'm actually really desperate for some advice. So I'm filling out my DO primary and studying for my MCAT and I feel this void now. This is my first time taking the MCAT.

I did not go through the health science committee because I didn't have the time. My advisor is in charge and refuses to write me a letter because I could have gone through. I accept that. In response I have managed to get a few LOR confirmations.

My thing is...should I go through the Committe and get a letter luckily in October/November or apply now with my LOR

The LOR's I have are from...

1. Physics Prof/Research Profess: Known for 2 years, researched with her, is like a friend to me, got A's both sems.

2. Lab Profess: Another professor that is like a friend. I took two labs with her and got A's. I've known her for 3 years.

3. Research Prof/Club advisor (non science) Met her my fresh. year, did some research with her. Started an environmental club with her as advisor. We worked together to ban pesticides on campus.

4. Humanities Prof: Took 2 classes, got A's. He saw me struggle with class but work my way through it. Always had a strong classroom presence. (plus hes a writing professor..bound to be somewhat good)

5. Provost (Dean of students): Known for 2 years. Did a program and she was the overseer. She also met with me during student government. She wanted to set up an appt. to go over a LOR

6. Doctor: My PCP who I shadowed with for about 50 hours. She's badass. Known me for almost 5 years now.

Should I stick with my LOR's and not go through the committee?

With my stats, I feel better applying early....and I can answer the committee thing honestly.

I just looked through the AACOMAs book. Most schools request a committee letter OR a science and non science letter.

In my case, would it be better to apply early or wait for that committee letter which won't be as personal as my LOR's from professors.
wow if i were you, i would really wish my school didn't have a committee cause those other LoR's sound really strong

They do ask for committee letters, but you can offer an explanation as to why you didn't go that route- as PKA said his would have been late and IF they ask about if (they rarely do, I hear, as opposed to MD schools) tell them the truth and say it would have been too late in the cycle. If you don't bring it up, it will likely be unnoticed. Those seem like strong letters BTW

Remember the cycle may be longer, I also preach that as I applied in November and got love from everywhere I applied, it may be harder if you're super borderline.
If you're below a 3.2 in either GPA you're at risk applying that late because you're on the low end of the spectrum, and they may be giving interviews to people with higher stats. Just a warning.

Remember the cycle may be longer, I also preach that as I applied in November and got love from everywhere I applied, it may be harder if you're super borderline.
If you're below a 3.2 in either GPA you're at risk applying that late because you're on the low end of the spectrum, and they may be giving interviews to people with higher stats. Just a warning.
That's why I feel my chances are way better applying early. Especially since I have strong LOR to make up for it....what services did you guys use? AACOMA's or Interfolio?

My school does committee letters. I did not obtain a committee letter due to them releasing it late as you said and had similar letters as you have above. I was accepted to multiple schools and it was never brought up.
Do you have similar stats?

That's why I feel my chances are way better applying early. Especially since I have strong LOR to make up for it....what services did you guys use? AACOMA's or Interfolio?
Just get the letters and run with it. The only thing I was wondering is how much later would it be to get the letters from your MCAT score being released? A couple weeks? Go for it, you need the letters with your secondaries.

The DO cycle is longer, and so yes, you can have the LORs sent by Nov or Dec and still be a viable canddiate.

The bolded part is more concerning. from now on, MAKE TIME. Good time mgt skills are crucial for your survival as a med student.

Reactions: 1 users
wow if i were you, i would really wish my school didn't have a committee cause those other LoR's sound really strong
Yeah! I befriended these two science professors. They're rather young so it's super casual.

Just get the letters and run with it. The only thing I was wondering is how much later would it be to get the letters from your MCAT score being released? A couple weeks? Go for it, you need the letters with your secondaries.

Then what do I tell my letter writers? I said sept. 1st. was an estimate. The mcat score is a percentile rank...that comes 30 days later. Right when the committee deadline is

The DO cycle is longer, and so yes, you can have the LORs sent by Nov or Dec and still be a viable canddiate.

The bolded part is more concerning. from now on, MAKE TIME. Good time mgt skills are crucial for your survival as a med student.
What bolded part? I know, but with my stats its risky....

What bolded part? I know, but with my stats its risky....

He meant that you didn't get the health committee letter because you didn't do things and plan out in time. Read his post in response to yours where he quoted you.

Pretty average stats at time of application 3.4 cgpa 3.6sgpa and 28 mcat. Finished 30 more credit hours since then with As.

Those are actually really good stats. Which schools accepted you?

Accepted LECOM-SH, ATSU- Kirksville and DMU. Had more interviews but stopped going after acceptance to Des Moines.

Accepted LECOM-SH, ATSU- Kirksville and DMU. Had more interviews but stopped going after acceptance to Des Moines.

Ahh, congratulations! You got into excellent schools!

Thank you for all your help everyone! I'm trying not to stress out, but it doesn't help when my advisor isn't the greatest. Google has been the best advisor lol. Your stats are really good dude! I know mine need to be better and that's my risk. I'm happy for all your acceptances :)

I'm not trying to make excuses for myself but, I didn't find out about our HSRC until January. I had 1 day to apply. Our HSRC is really bias against students and have crazy requirements like 3.4 gpa, x number of shadowing hours, etc. if one professor on the committee doesn't like you, your ref letter isn't even worth it. They actually discourage students at our campus. Yet those kids went on and got accepted into medical school.

I'm not trying to make excuses for myself but, I didn't find out about our HSRC until January. I had 1 day to apply. Our HSRC is really bias against students and have crazy requirements like 3.4 gpa, x number of shadowing hours, etc. if one professor on the committee doesn't like you, your ref letter isn't even worth it. They actually discourage students at our campus. Yet those kids went on and got accepted into medical school.

So HSRC has "crazy" requirements like that because a majority of the ones who they actually write committee letters for actually get accepted into medical school. Most DO schools already require a good MCAT score and a decent enough GPA (at least a 3.2 or higher.) Plus, you would have already enough clinical experience. If you come from a school that has a health committee and you don't use it, the med school you're applying to may wonder why.

I'm not saying that you have to use the HSRC. What I'm saying that it does a tremendous amount of benefit to you if you are able to use them. The LOR from them has much more weight than just a LOR from a professor. Those letters may actually push you into medical school because you are actually being "backed" by a health committee who works with many premeds and knows their capabilities rather than just three professors you got good grades in. My prehealth committee won't sugar coat things for you.

I've been out of my university for 5 years and I still used them to get a committee letter to apply. In order to get a committee letter from my school, you'll need a minimum MCAT score of 28 on the old MCAT (min of at least 7 in each subsection,) and minimum overall and science GPA of 3.4. For the New MCAT, you'll need a 507-508 total with at least a 127 in each subsection. Every year, it becomes more competitive, so that's why these standards keep going up. You also need to do a committee interview, write an autobiography, send them your CV, and write several paragraphs about your core competencies. Oh, and you need to submit 5 LOR's from professors and your supervisors to them too. They want to know you are really committed to medicine.

hpo.rutgers.edu

Last edited:

Some pre-health committees (such as the one at my undergrad) are very poor, serving as more of a hindrance than anything. At my alma mater, they didn't even review files until September, let alone write recommendations. I had plenty of time, but not for their nonsense. Some committees are just a quagmire to be involved with.

Reactions: 1 users
Some pre-health committees (such as the one at my undergrad) are very poor, serving as more of a hindrance than anything. At my alma mater, they didn't even review files until September, let alone write recommendations. I had plenty of time, but not for their nonsense. Some committees are just a quagmire to be involved with.

I guess it depends on the school then. Mine required applicants to have it all done before July 31 deadline, but they really want everything in before June to get your letter out early.

Yea grats man..... all of those are top notch DO schools. Plus DMU is pretty heavy on research and is a very very strong DO school.

So HSRC has "crazy" requirements like that because a majority of the ones who they actually write committee letters for actually get accepted into medical school. Most DO schools already require a good MCAT score and a decent enough GPA (at least a 3.2 or higher.) Plus, you would have already enough clinical experience. If you come from a school that has a health committee and you don't use it, the med school you're applying to may wonder why.

I'm not saying that you have to use the HSRC. What I'm saying that it does a tremendous amount of benefit to you if you are able to use them. The LOR from them has much more weight than just a LOR from a professor. Those letters may actually push you into medical school because you are actually being "backed" by a health committee who works with many premeds and knows their capabilities rather than just three professors you got good grades in. My prehealth committee won't sugar coat things for you.

I've been out of my university for 5 years and I still used them to get a committee letter to apply. In order to get a committee letter from my school, you'll need a minimum MCAT score of 28 on the old MCAT (min of at least 7 in each subsection,) and minimum overall and science GPA of 3.4. For the New MCAT, you'll need a 507-508 total with at least a 127 in each subsection. Every year, it becomes more competitive, so that's why these standards keep going up. You also need to do a committee interview, write an autobiography, send them your CV, and write several paragraphs about your core competencies. Oh, and you need to submit 5 LOR's from professors and your supervisors to them too. They want to know you are really committed to medicine.

hpo.rutgers.edu

Yea I've been out of school for a couple of years so my undergrad doesnt do committee letters for non-trads according to their website. Its a large public state school which pumps out a lot pre-meds and I guess they dont have time for non-trads.

Yea I've been out of school for a couple of years so my undergrad doesnt do committee letters for non-trads according to their website. Its a large public state school which pumps out a lot pre-meds and I guess they dont have time for non-trads.

Mine is also a large public state school. They will make time for their alums.