I'm starting to get really scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP: you got yourself into this mess by going to a Carib med school.

The only safe way that you can guarantee yourself success in medicine (ie. a reisndency position) is to go to an LCME accredited MD school. (ie. US or Canadian MD schools)

going to the Carib is a risky business and you have no guarantee of anything.

Members don't see this ad.

The only safe way that you can guarantee yourself success in medicine (ie. a reisndency position) is to go to an LCME accredited MD school. (ie. US or Canadian MD schools)

Wow, that is insightful. Thanks for your worthwhile contribution. :)

Last edited:

There are no guarantees regardless of where you attend medical school. There ARE AMGs who don't match every year.

Yes, but the proportion of US citizen Carib grads who enroll in medical school but don't ever graduate, and/or enroll in a Carib med school and graduate, but still can't get a residency, is >> the proportion of US medical students this happens to, so I don't think this is a totally unreasonable observation/comment. I can't remember any student from my medical school ever not getting a residency in the 4 years I was there...there were people who had to take a prelim year b/c they didn't get into certain competitive specialties, but I can't think of one who got nothing. We did have a couple of people quit during 1st/2nd year, though...

I think most US schools are invested in preparing students so that they do pass the USMLE and do get residencies, as "the powers that be" as well as prospective future students keep track of things like the residency match rates and graduate rates. Carib schools are more of a "buyer beware" type of situation.

Yes, but the proportion of US citizen Carib grads who enroll in medical school but don't ever graduate, and/or enroll in a Carib med school and graduate, but still can't get a residency, is >> the proportion of US medical students this happens to, so I don't think this is a totally unreasonable observation/comment. I can't remember any student from my medical school ever not getting a residency in the 4 years I was there...there were people who had to take a prelim year b/c they didn't get into certain competitive specialties, but I can't think of one who got nothing. We did have a couple of people quit during 1st/2nd year, though...

I think most US schools are invested in preparing students so that they do pass the USMLE and do get residencies, as "the powers that be" as well as prospective future students keep track of things like the residency match rates and graduate rates. Carib schools are more of a "buyer beware" type of situation.

Agreed. As a US citizen Caribbean grad, who happened to graduate and then happened to prematch 2007-2008 season , and then resigned and then signed up for the match again 2008-2009, and then happened to be offered a prematch again, and turned down the prematch and is waiting to possibly match again - a person should always choose going to an American school over Caribbean school if at all possible..

While I appreciate the responses from you and Doowai, I think you have misinterpreted my comments. It almost goes without saying that going to a US school is best but recall the comment made was that going to a US medical school "GUARANTEES" a residency. This is inaccurate; it is rare not to match, but there are US grads who don't match, can't scramble and don't have a position. Thus, there are NO guarantees regardless of where you go, but I do agree, your chances are much greater going to a US school.

But most importantly, my response to the user above was because of his rude post. He isn't telling the OP anything he doesn't know and the comment was only hurtful, not helpful. I saw no reason for his input other than to say something hurtful...the fact that the user is now on probation for saying insulting things about osteopaths only confirms my assumption that he simply posted in this thread to be mean to the OP.

My grandmother was right...if you can't say something nice, or at the very least constructive, then don't say anything at all. I see no reason to post simply to be mean. SDN is supposed to be helpful.

While I appreciate the responses from you and Doowai, I think you have misinterpreted my comments. It almost goes without saying that going to a US school is best but recall the comment made was that going to a US medical school "GUARANTEES" a residency. This is inaccurate; it is rare not to match, but there are US grads who don't match, can't scramble and don't have a position. Thus, there are NO guarantees regardless of where you go, but I do agree, your chances are much greater going to a US school.

But most importantly, my response to the user above was because of his rude post. He isn't telling the OP anything he doesn't know and the comment was only hurtful, not helpful. I saw no reason for his input other than to say something hurtful...the fact that the user is now on probation for saying insulting things about osteopaths only confirms my assumption that he simply posted in this thread to be mean to the OP.

My grandmother was right...if you can't say something nice, or at the very least constructive, then don't say anything at all. I see no reason to post simply to be mean. SDN is supposed to be helpful.

I looked up the data on the 2007 Charting outcomes of the match, and Winged is correct that there is actually a substantial number of U.S. medical students who do not match in a given specialty. For example, in dermatology, 158 US seniors did not match; 61 US seniors did not match in internal medicine; and 13 US seniors did not match in family practice.

Now, given that 2,432 "independent" applicants, the vast majority foreign trained, did not match in internal medicine, you can see that going to a foreign school lowers your chances significantly.

Of course the 158 US seniors who didn't match in dermatology mostly likely can easily match into internal medicine or even surgery, given that they probably wouldn't apply for dermatology unless they thought they had a reasonable chance of getting this residency.

The 61 US med students who didn't match in internal medicine might have to scramble for places in internal medicine where they are few or no US graduates, so they might be inclined to take a year off doing research and apply more broadly for next year's match if they are not happy with where they would be going. I am sure there are some US grads who apply to just the Hopkins and Mayo's of the world and then don't match. Overall, I would guess that if a US student does a good job of ranking enough places , and a broad range of places, the chances of not matching in IM are even lower.

For 2008, 98% of US seniors matched in internal medicine. However, I am not sure about the case of a U.S. senior who goes for say dermatology and ranks internal medicine as a "back-up" gets into dermatology, and not internal medicine if this is counted as "not matching in internal medicine". Probably not.

It is true that if you can't say anything nice or constructive, then don't say anything at all. However, on the wards even the meanest comments can be intentionally mis-classified into "constructive" comments by attendings . . .

US seniors who apply to two fields-- say, derm and IM-- who rank all derm programs first and then IM backups, and subsequently match to IM but not to derm, are counted in the NRMP as "did not match in dermatology." So the vast majority of those 158 students had an envelope to open on Match Day, it just wasn't in dermatology. There are exceptions-- as you noted, I knew a girl who only applied to three highly competitive derm programs, stating she would rather not ever work as a doctor if she didn't get into them. She didn't match and is now in the corporate world. Those people are much rarer.

So while this is absolutely derailing the topic, Winged is right-- it is a rare US grad who cannot get a PGY-1, ever. If they overshoot in either competitive specialties or competitive programs within their specialties, and then decide not to scramble, they are often successful in the next Match cycle. This discounts, of course, those who choose to leave clinical medicine.

People!! Can you all get back to helping poor superoxide with his CS?:p

Darth: Did you find out what the name of that book was? The one with all the cases and questions? Was it one of these:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/706637/description#description

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-9780071445153-1

Any one else have any other recommendations as far as books are concerned (besides FA and usmleworld CS), especially for the data gathering section?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Darth: Did you find out what the name of that book was? The one with all the cases and questions? Was it one of these:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/706637/description#description

Any one else have any other recommendations as far as books are concerned (besides FA and usmleworld CS), especially for the data gathering section?

I've attached my score report from my second CS attempt . Maybe I can get some more specific/targeted advice. I failed the ICE section. I passed the CIS and SEP sections.

Thanks all.
From what the score report shows, data gathering and questioning skills are problematic. First, you need to figure out how these 2 are defined. Gathering data (or information retrieval) is intricately related to your questioning skills (how you phrase your questions and probe appropriately). Some of this is obvious, but still merits discussion:

If you do not ask the right questions, you will not obtain the pertinent information. Further, if you do not formulate questions in a manner that contributes to the successful receipt of pertinent information, your final result=patient note will be marginal at best. This explains a portion of your exam results. Thus, you need to figure out how to ask better and more relevant questions. Open vs close-ended. Every answer provided dictates your follow-up question. In your "arsenal", you need to have a few set responses that will help maintain continuity when you get stuck. This is an easy solution; one such approach is... "Tell me more about ________". This is just one technique.

Is there a problem with your fundamental knowledge base that contributes to your inability to ask the "right" questions? Perhaps. This is a huge problem that requires significant remediation.

There is also some difficulty with communication and interpersonal skills. What this specifically means, I do not know. But an outsider who knows you should be able to describe wherein the problem lies. Perhaps you are so anxious that the patient "feels" this, and their evaluation of you suggests a certain degree of awkwardness. Maybe you are too _________ or too _________. Only an objective person who knows you moderately well will be able to critique you in this area. Maybe you didn't counsel; maybe you didn't do the little things such as water for a cough, or empathetic looks for pain, etc. This is a start. I am sure others will contribute further.

I've attached my score report from my second CS attempt . Maybe I can get some more specific/targeted advice. I failed the ICE section. I passed the CIS and SEP sections.

Thanks all.

It wasn't those, thanks for posting them, I am not sure what it was, I think it may have been something like Lange Case Files for Step 2 ?? I don't have the book anymore as I tore out cases to read on rotations, sorry!

US seniors who apply to two fields-- say, derm and IM-- who rank all derm programs first and then IM backups, and subsequently match to IM but not to derm, are counted in the NRMP as "did not match in dermatology." So the vast majority of those 158 students had an envelope to open on Match Day, it just wasn't in dermatology. There are exceptions-- as you noted, I knew a girl who only applied to three highly competitive derm programs, stating she would rather not ever work as a doctor if she didn't get into them. She didn't match and is now in the corporate world. Those people are much rarer.

So while this is absolutely derailing the topic, Winged is right-- it is a rare US grad who cannot get a PGY-1, ever. If they overshoot in either competitive specialties or competitive programs within their specialties, and then decide not to scramble, they are often successful in the next Match cycle. This discounts, of course, those who choose to leave clinical medicine.

Wow, I assume that the student you knew had a pretty decent medical school record to want only three highly competitive derm programs, I would guess that ALL derm programs are highly competitive. I can sort of see somebody who wants to only be a dermatologist and nothing else, but in reality most of these people would probably be able to live with medicine or something like that.

Thanks for the info BD about those unmatched US seniors in internal medicine, maybe a good chunk of them matched into rad onc, derm, etc . . . At some US schools the dean can call around and get an unmatched applicant a spot in internal medicine too.

Thanks for the info BD about those unmatched US seniors in internal medicine, maybe a good chunk of them matched into rad onc, derm, etc . . . At some US schools the dean can call around and get an unmatched applicant a spot in internal medicine too.

This is how it was at my school. We seriously didn't have any unmatched people, unless they chose to be (i.e. couldn't get plastic surg so decided to do a year of research and reapply).

Hi Darth,

I've been thinking about what I've been doing wrong and I've come up with a few things.

When I went into the room, I had 2-3 differentials in mind and I would start off with questions relating to the CC before I went into the mnemonics. This is what I think I did:

If I had 3 differentials in my head, I would start with questions relating to the first differential. So if my differential was (and I'm just making this up):

(1) TB
(2) pneumonia
(3) Lung cancer

For each of those I would think of a set of questions. If I started with TB, and after 2-3 questions it looked like this person has TB (they had bloody sputum, weight loss, night sweats), then I wouldn't ask questions about the other two differentials, because I know that this person has TB. I ruled TB in, but didn't rule the other 2 out. Once I figured out the diagnosis, I went on to family hx, meds, all that stuff. Then onto the physical. I didn't ask about lung cancer, pneumonia etc. Or even if I did, it was very superficial. Maybe just 1-2 basic questions. Does that make sense?

This might be the reason why my data gathering part was so weak. It's been over 2 months since I took it, so I cant remember what I did and didn't do anymore, but that could be what I'm doing wrong.

I know you are just using this as a made up example, but I think you may be correct in your self-assessment of this being a potential problem. When I read through this, my eyes actually widened a bit in non-belief. Bloody sputum, weight loss, and night sweats are just as much cancer as TB imo. (maybe not the night sweats as much unless you're talking lymphoma).

Granted I haven't taken the exam yet, but I would think that you have to balance getting enough info without going overboard. In the example you gave, I'd continue and ask about sick contacts and such to help rule in along with other questions to rule out other things.

I wish the best for you. I hate having to hear about someone going through so much trouble just to be able to do what they want with their life.

To be honest, real medicine is done by ruling things out. You have to assume a person has something until proven otherwise. When you make a differential, and then take a history, the point is to ask specific questions to move certain differential diagnosis up or down your list. Most of the time differentials aren't taken off the list (just moved down), especially not as early on as the history. Then the physical continues to allow you to tailor your differential diagnosis and move certain ones higher and certain ones lower (but the same differntials are still on your list). Then you use lab tests, imaging, and other objective data to continue to tailor you differential diagnosis. NOT UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE ALL OF THESE THINGS, can you certainly say, this is LESS LIKELY (you can never be 100% sure) doesn't have this disease. After the history is definitely too soon. This is how we were trained early on during my 1st and 2nd years of medical schools.

I looked up the data on the 2007 Charting outcomes of the match, and Winged is correct that there is actually a substantial number of U.S. medical students who do not match in a given specialty. For example, in dermatology, 158 US seniors did not match; 61 US seniors did not match in internal medicine; and 13 US seniors did not match in family practice.

Now, given that 2,432 "independent" applicants, the vast majority foreign trained, did not match in internal medicine, you can see that going to a foreign school lowers your chances significantly.

Of course the 158 US seniors who didn't match in dermatology mostly likely can easily match into internal medicine or even surgery, given that they probably wouldn't apply for dermatology unless they thought they had a reasonable chance of getting this residency.

The 61 US med students who didn't match in internal medicine might have to scramble for places in internal medicine where they are few or no US graduates, so they might be inclined to take a year off doing research and apply more broadly for next year's match if they are not happy with where they would be going. I am sure there are some US grads who apply to just the Hopkins and Mayo's of the world and then don't match. Overall, I would guess that if a US student does a good job of ranking enough places , and a broad range of places, the chances of not matching in IM are even lower.

For 2008, 98% of US seniors matched in internal medicine. However, I am not sure about the case of a U.S. senior who goes for say dermatology and ranks internal medicine as a "back-up" gets into dermatology, and not internal medicine if this is counted as "not matching in internal medicine". Probably not.

It is true that if you can't say anything nice or constructive, then don't say anything at all. However, on the wards even the meanest comments can be intentionally mis-classified into "constructive" comments by attendings . . .
I didn't want to start a separate thread, so this is on on-topic with the off-topic part of this thread: Is there a separate breakdown for DO students trying to match into competitive residencies? Maybe a large portion of those who didn't match were DOs? The reasoning is if so many MD students are unable to match into competitive specialties, then it should be much tougher to do so as a DO and therefore that path should not be selected for certain residencies/specialties. I am not sure you can even match into something like Derm from DO school. I'd still think that DO has better chances than Carib MD, unless ROAD specialties really care about the MD part.

I didn't want to start a separate thread, so this is on on-topic with the off-topic part of this thread: Is there a separate breakdown for DO students trying to match into competitive residencies? Maybe a large portion of those who didn't match were DOs? The reasoning is if so many MD students are unable to match into competitive specialties, then it should be much tougher to do so as a DO and therefore that path should not be selected for certain residencies/specialties. I am not sure you can even match into something like Derm from DO school. I'd still think that DO has better chances than Carib MD, unless ROAD specialties really care about the MD part.

I think you should start a separate thread if you want to discuss this...it's not really related to the OP's original post. You are right that the vast majority of DO's will never match into an allopathic derm residency...many or most allopathic grads who want one won't get it either. The DO's however, have their own derm residencies which ONLY DO student can get - I don't know how hard they are to get if you are a DO student, vs. the difficulty of a US allopathic grad getting into a US allopathic derm residency.

Final post to Exclesior's derailment: the NRMP breaks down their stats by categories of students. Darth and I were discussing only the stats for American allopathic med school seniors, who are by far the most successful group in the Match. To even be counted in the stats, though, you have to *rank* one program within a specialty-- which means you needed at least 1 interview. If you're interested check out Charting Outcomes in the Match.
//back to topic

When you make a differential, and then take a history, the point is to ask specific questions to move certain differential diagnosis up or down your list. Most of the time differentials aren't taken off the list (just moved down), especially not as early on as the history. NOT UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE ALL OF THESE THINGS, can you certainly say, this is LESS LIKELY (you can never be 100% sure) doesn't have this disease. After the history is definitely too soon. This is how we were trained early on during my 1st and 2nd years of medical schools.

Word. This is how medicine is practiced on the wards where I trained. One patient had a negative AFB Sputum x 3, but still looked like TB and eventually we got a lung biopsy that showed AFB positive organisms. So, a diagnosis may become less likely,but it is still there on the imaignary list of everything the patient has.

You can't take a history and say you have "ruled out" or "ruled in" much of anything, granted the history and physical may make one more prominent, . . . in the case of bloody sputum, weight loss, fever, this could be cancer and that would need to evaluated and you still have to ask questions about smoking, you can't just say that you smell TB and therefore have ruled it in.

The only time I hear the term "rule out" was when a patient was admitted for MI. . . Honestly, I haven't seen in the charts or heard much anybody say we have "ruled in" something. More often people talk about a "working diagnosis" like let's treat presumptively for TB, but also consult hem/onc about the biopsy results etc . . . More often that you realize the presumptive or "working diagnosis" changes.

A good history and physical should explore the top 5-10 diagnosis, and also do a good ROS to give a broad picture, it is inappropriate to begin to "rule out" or "rule in" anything at that point just because you are basing these decision on gut decisions. In real life and especially on Step 2 CS the cases are/are made to be ambigious, i.e. they don't have to give the patient "TB" for Step 2 CS, but can make it one of the likely diagnosis, in addition to others.

Attendings/consultants on service just list the top diagnosis and workup or give the concrete diagnosis i.e. newly diagnosed hiv/aids with a cd4 of 11. . . Nobody ever writes in a chart about ruling something out because we all know the game can change.

People have different clinical training, and some being less rigorous than others. One patient I had on service a resident had said on rounds that "we've ruled out cellulitis" . . . , later we consulted ID who said, no, it was cellulitis and we started treating for that. An intern was confused and said "I thought we ruled out cellulitis" and everybody just sort of rolled their eyes. The intern basically demonstrated they don't understand how worthless the term is and also didn't understand that diagnosis change and you really can't definitively rule out anything.

Never assume anything is off the differential, and just because a resident or even attending says that we have "ruled out" something it really doesn't mean a hill of beans. For most diseases there is no definitive way to 95% be sure that the patient doesn't have the disease. This is a very important concept in medicine, ALL imaging/testing procedures have a false negative rate even if very small and you WILL get a patient who has a negative test result and you can't say you ruled out the disease as the symptoms still match etc . . . Superoxide may not have benefited from this training, but is is a very bad idea to start off internship/residency thinking that you can "rule out" something and don't have to consider that diagnosis, especially during the history and physical.

Last edited:

Thanks all.

Super, It does not really matter what part u fail on the Step-2cs exam.
You have to improve your performance overall,because all these sub-sections of the Step2cs exam are interconnected .

I have seen people passing one section first time then failing the same section next time.

So,keep in mind that this exam is about BEING WITH THE PATIENT.

It would be really better for u if you would follow the advice of those who faced the same problem (like u),but then got thro' it with flying colors.

Good Luck.

*Update*

I have finally PASSED CS! It took me three attempts, but I've done it! This time even people who pass get a performance profile. I was *way* above average in every single category.

So now I can move forward with ECFMG certification (Oh Yeah) and then residency applications.

Fingers (and toes) crossed!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to give me advice on this forum. It has been very, very helpful indeed.

The only problem is that the UK does not have extra training slots anymore; and they recently changed not only their postgraduate medical training but also immigration rules, making it virtually impossible for somebody from outside the EU to get a training post. Hence, the massive influx of FMGs from subcontinent into the US. (When I was taking both computerised Steps in London, all my fellows USMLEers in the Prometric Centre:) were either from India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka).

Superoxide, hang on in there. When I was job hunting in England 3 years back, I had a pretty hard time initially, as I was five years out of medical school (USSR) and three years out of medical training (doing research in Cambridge). Few people gave a damn about my clever MSc project, my excellent test scores or my existence :rolleyes:. BUT, I persisted, and things worked out for me. After all, you only need ONE job offer to have things work out - and you may have a very good chance with that peds programme where you did an audition rotation.

Good luck.

How hard is it for a board certified US physician to make it in an EU country or a non-EU European country, e.g. Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, etc.? Do they accept US training and just make us take some written/clinical exams or do we need to redo a residency?

*Update*

I have finally PASSED CS! It took me three attempts, but I've done it! This time even people who pass get a performance profile. I was *way* above average in every single category.

So now I can move forward with ECFMG certification (Oh Yeah) and then residency applications.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to give me advice on this forum. It has been very, very helpful indeed.

I'm a total lurker, but I had to come out of my cave to tell you that I'm rooting for you and I hope you are accepted into a great residency that you will enjoy (if there can even be such a thing in residency. ;))

:xf::luck::xf:

I'm a total lurker, but I had to come out of my cave to tell you that I'm rooting for you and I hope you are accepted into a great residency that you will enjoy (if there can even be such a thing in residency. ;))

:xf::luck::xf:

Thanks Sputnik! Keep a look out for updates!

What a great post! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!
Yeya! I'm an IMG as well!.

May I suggest applying more broadly this year and even trying FM programs? Last year, had a friend go unmatched and then the subsequent year he applied more broadly and got in. I'm going to have a back-up for my back-up too. You know in FM there is a lot of pediatric patients, so you wouldn't be too far from that population!

G'luck,
A

*Update*

Congrats superoxide. I have been fascinated and inspired by your determination and desire to succeed. What did you do differently this time around with the CS prep that you think helped you to pass? Any new books? Did you practice with someone? Did you avoid using any mneumonics?

wow... was wondering who dug up this old thread! congratulations, superoxide :D

wow! iam supp to be researching the programs and I read this thread instead... goodluck this time and hope things work out for you!

*Update*

Congrats on the grand success!
You have indeed gone thro' a lot and u deserved to succeed.
Best of Luck for the future too!