I'm studying for the Pharm Tech Exam....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngsoo1269

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!
I"m studying for the pharm tech exam right now and I'm confused about what the pharm tech can actually do regarding controlled substances. The book i'm studying tells me I can add info(patients address, med conditions, etc) to the prescription forms except for C-II. So that means I can add info to CIII-CV prescription forms?? The book also says " Controlled substances, such as Schedule II drugs, are treated in a very different way. These prescriptions may be filled by the technician, but any refills (available on Schedules III–V drugs only) must be dispensed within a specific time frame to prevent misuse of the drug." ??????

Pharm techs shouldn't be able to handle controlled drugs right? The ethics part of the book states that controlled substances should only be handled by those the DEA approves. I was also reading some other thread and getting some mixed views..
Can someone please clarify this for me?

I'm Using the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review Edition 3

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a technician at a Kroger store out in Arizona. In my pharmacy, we consider all CIII and CV drugs to be CIV, and we do handle those drugs. The only drugs we do not touch is the CII drugs unless we release those to patients. When we count the medications, we have to double count them and indicate on the label that we had counted them and initial it. That is just my experience, I don't know how it is with other pharmacies, but I know that my pharmacy tries to adhere to the laws as much as possible.

@sulgi1993 Do you remember a question on the PTCE that covers this? It seems that some pharmacies allow for controlled substance handling(except CII) while others don't. And I'm not really sure on what answer this exam is looking for

Members don't see this ad :)
@sulgi1993 I just read on another thread that Tech's can handle CIII-CV but can't refill them. Can you confirm?

I don't know the logistics, but yes, as far as I'm aware, some pharmacies are allowed to handle CIIS, and others aren't. I know that a pharmacy has to have a license and pay a fee in order to handle CIIs.
For techs handling the other controlled substances, I know at my pharmacy that we are allowed to do refill them. We just have to use extra caution when filling them as compared to the CVI medication.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them! I'm happy to answer :)

Last edited:
Most pharmacies don't let techs fill C2's because of loss prevention issues (not because it's illegal). Some pharmacies will let the techs fill, it just depends on where/who you work with.

Federally, C2's don't expire. Other controls expire within 6 months (I'm guessing that's what the "specific time frame" is referring too. Between state and federal law the stricter law always takes precedent. In Texas, for example C2's expire within 21 days, so that supersedes the more lenient federal law (of no expiration).