IM to FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morgan90

Reaction score
Has anyone completed an intern year in IM and then tried to get into an open FM PGY-2 spot? Or at least had some of their intern IM year count towards FM requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I've seen multiple people do this. They don't always get the full year of credit, so they often end up off-cycle by 1-2 months, but that's usually just to make up time in OB and/or Peds.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering what deterred you (presumably) from IM and attracted you more to FM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done the opposite? as in completing FM PGY1 and going into IM PGY2 position?

Has anyone done the opposite? as in completing FM PGY1 and going into IM PGY2 position?

ABIM will accept up to six months of credit at the discretion of the PD. I think there is something that allows them to give a year for extreme cases. . . But your looking at up to 6 months credit.

Thank you. I completed an preliminary IM year and now looking to switch to FM from another specialty, hoping that some of my medicine year will count. I am curious though how this affects the programs? Why would a FM program want to give credit to a resident--doesn't it then harm the program/other residents since the resident would then not do all the rotations? I am just trying to understand this process. Thanks!

Thank you. I completed an preliminary IM year and now looking to switch to FM from another specialty, hoping that some of my medicine year will count. I am curious though how this affects the programs? Why would a FM program want to give credit to a resident--doesn't it then harm the program/other residents since the resident would then not do all the rotations? I am just trying to understand this process. Thanks!
Funding is part of it I believe, though not sure how that would work with a prelim year and not a full IM intern year.

Another is just general fairness (my experience has been that FM PDs actually do care about their residents). You've put in a year of hard work, why should you get no credit for that?

Do those seeking these positions (a FM spot after doing an IM year) apply for a PGY-1 or PGY-2 spot?

Last edited:
Has anyone completed an intern year in IM and then tried to get into an open FM PGY-2 spot? Or at least had some of their intern IM year count towards FM requirements?
Yes, one of my closest friends did this. The problem is all your elective time is pretty much taken away. You'll be doing pretty much the core FM stuff

It doesn't affect the problem at all. All specialties get at least 3 years of funding, so you'll be fine moving forward. Also, there's a ton of elective time built into FM. They'll pretty much take away all your elective and count IM as having been your elective time. You'll then have to do all core FM

IM will give you a max of 6 months of credit from FM. You may get an additional 6 months credit if the rotations you did were identical to those as IM residents, were under supervision of an IM PD, and at an approved IM residency site