Status
Resident [Any Field]
Intern at a community IM program.
D.O. (KCU if it matters)
Step 1: 223
Level: 551
Level 2 (7/2014): 550
Step 2 (5/2015): 220 ugh

Took step 2 right before graduation because I considered switching to gas. Finished uworld random timed 73% so I figured I'd be fine for Step 2 aaaaaaand bombed it considering my Step 1 score. Total fluke imo, but it doesn't matter now.

I've got more experience with lines and intubations than all of the residents at my program, maybe more than all of them combined. I did 2 months of gas in medical school and one month of pain and I literally did it all. I was fortunate that I didn't have any residents or fellows to compete with in terms of procedures and I took advantage. Intubated up to 10 times a day just running around to different rooms, put in central lines and art lines, did blocks including spinals. I did all of this without assistance by the end of the second block in a timely manner. I sucked like everyone in the beginning, but you get the hang of it after doing them all day every day for three months. I've actually read baby Miller twice except the peds and OB portions. I also have director of anesthesia at two hospitals (one person) glowing recommendation. He offered to write be a very strong letter.

I'm not trying to brag, hell I can't given that step 2 score, but I'm just trying to convey I've got a lot of experience and I'm strongly considering switching. The only reason I didn't try in the original match was because I didn't believe I could match. Anyway, do I have a decent shot? Not going to give up my IM residency unless I think I have a good shot at matching. Thanks for your time.

Docuronium

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2011
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd imagine it won't be easy but you can find a spot--I'd also avoid saying that you have a ton of experience, most people won't consider it other than to acknowledge that you've had some exposure and know to a certain degree what you're signing up for in a residency. And med students doing all that "without" assistance---probably not the kind of thing a PD wants to hear.

Curious, why did you do all that and not apply to anesthesia? I mean I didn't read Harrison's (let alone twice)

Reactions: repititionition
OP
T

tom10

D.O.
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Without assistance meaning my preceptor was there, but he didn't help. I just talked myself out of it, didn't think I'd match. After looking at the match statistics from 2014 when I was trying to match for 2015 I was kind of mad at myself for not doing it. Don't get me wrong, I like IM, but I definitely like gas more. Baby Miller is nowehere near as intense or as long as Harrison's. They really aren't comparable at all so it isn't as impressive as it sounds haha.

Docuronium

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2011
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Baby Miller is nowehere near as intense or as long as Harrison's. They really aren't comparable at all so it isn't as impressive as it sounds haha.
Lol---it's still 800+ pages---I think if you're realistic about applying and willing to go where you can get you'll find a spot---it's certainly not impossible.

OP
T

tom10

D.O.
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had an older copy and it wasn't near 800 pages so that makes more sense. Appreciate your input. Any other input is appreciated!

vector2

Airway, Browser, Coffee, Donut
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Just apply super broadly and make sure to apply to programs known to take DOs. And don't talk about **** like how many intubations or lines you've done as a med student cause the PD could probably give two ****s about procedures. Focus on the more cerebral aspects of anesthesia if it comes up during an interview...any monkey can do procedures after enough practice, but not everyone has the knowledge base or decision-making ability of a physician (i.e. what were the co-morbidites of the pt or aspects of the surgery that made an invasive airway or line a requisite). And talk about all the supposed benefits of the perioperative surgical home and how much value you want to add as a physician to system-wide healthcare, not just the OR. The folks in academia will eat that up...

Reactions: okayplayer

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just apply super broadly and make sure to apply to programs known to take DOs. And don't talk about **** like how many intubations or lines you've done as a med student cause the PD could probably give two ****s about procedures. Focus on the more cerebral aspects of anesthesia if it comes up during an interview...any monkey can do procedures after enough practice, but not everyone has the knowledge base or decision-making ability of a physician (i.e. what were the co-morbidites of the pt or aspects of the surgery that made an invasive airway or line a requisite). And talk about all the supposed benefits of the perioperative surgical home and how much value you want to add as a physician to system-wide healthcare, not just the OR. The folks in academia will eat that up...
Oh god

OP
T

tom10

D.O.
7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With that experience I'm just trying to convey I have a bit of a running start and I kind of know what I'm getting into. I also really like doing those procedures. I'll be sure not to belabor that point. Thanks.