I'm transgendered. Chance me for Harvard? CALLING ALL FACULTY ADCOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, I clearly have a negative IQ. I'm asking you, would you tell somebody who may or may not be in a transition they are awkward or goofy looking? This is basically what you were getting at. But it's nice that you have the proclivity to belittle people as well, I know I sure appreciate it.

A new word for me....Lol.

Members don't see this ad.

well let's just bypass all of the questioning of whether or not OP is a convincing tranny, and say this: If, by appearance, you are an obvious tranny, you are gonna have a bad time. And, regardless of your appearance, if your interviewers or the adcom are prejudice, you are gonna have a bad time. But if neither of those is the case, you will do very well. of course, all of this is extremely obvious. which is why you are probably a troll.

Gonna give the benefit of the doubt on troll status:

Everything looks fine. You being transgendered will not make a difference for admission in the way that being URM does, but clearly your work for the LGBTQ community will stand out and I'm sure you will have a lot to say about your personal experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you apply broadly. While schools may look for diversity. The truth is, in an interview, an interviewer is most likely going to connect with someone they can relate to. Interviewers tend to be older PhDs, MDs, and 4th or 3rd year med students that in reality are pretty homogenous and conservative in nature. Everyone holds biases and unfortunately, trans-gendered individuals still face a considerable amount of discrimination.

Just grow some thick skin, in interviews even though you have amazing stats, they will either 1) Be uncomfortable with it and just ignore it or 2) make a big deal out of it and ignore what appears to be a great app., grades, and test scores.

If it were me, I would personally prefer #1 because then I can pretend it wasn't a big deal and not even worth mentioning like it shouldn't be in an ideal society.

well let's just bypass all of the questioning of whether or not OP is a convincing tranny, and say this: If, by appearance, you are an obvious tranny, you are gonna have a bad time. And, regardless of your appearance, if your interviewers or the adcom are prejudice, you are gonna have a bad time. But if neither of those is the case, you will do very well. of course, all of this is extremely obvious. which is why you are probably a troll.

Seriously? This post is beyond offensive. Op to get some advice about their application not to be the target of transphobic mud slinging

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Seriously? This post is beyond offensive. Op to get some advice about their application not to be the target of transphobic mud slinging

*woosh*

And did you even read OP's OP?

*woosh*

And did you even read OP's OP?

Yeah they wanted to b chanced. I mean seems like a shoe in to me but neurotic premeds are neurotic. I don't think its a troll post and even if it was its not okay to call a transperson a tranny unless ur also transgender.

Working on the assumption that even if OP is trolling, some other candidate may stumble on this thread later...

Like many life experiences, being trans can either be a tremendously positive chapter in your personal narrative, or a trigger for discomfort. Sharing how you've grown from the experience and bring something special to your class is the key, and not making it something to pity or have to accommodate.

And if you do get to Harvard, both the business school and the law school currently have trans students (I'm the former, doing my MBA), we'd love some company! Shoot me a note at [email protected] to say hi. :)

Best!

Yeah they wanted to b chanced. I mean seems like a shoe in to me but neurotic premeds are neurotic. I don't think its a troll post and even if it was its not okay to call a transperson a tranny unless ur also transgender.

OP called himself/herself/? that...

-Jtran001: Just a tranny your #001 tranny
ps. I don't know how this will play in my interview process.....

Anyhow, OP has pretty good chances to get into Top 10, as long as OP applies broadly... Top 10 tends to be unpredictable

if you care to look at page one of this thread it was mentioned multiple times how that word is not appropraite for non-trans people to use.

well let's just bypass all of the questioning of whether or not op is a convincing tranny, and say this: If, by appearance, you are an obvious tranny, you are gonna have a bad time. And, regardless of your appearance, if your interviewers or the adcom are prejudice, you are gonna have a bad time. But if neither of those is the case, you will do very well. Of course, all of this is extremely obvious. Which is why you are probably a troll.

stop calling me a troll. Omg. How many times do i have to point out im not a troll?

Why are you so hateful. So so so hateful. U cant think someone from the lgbt can get into medicine? Omg one of the world's greatest surgeons is transgendered. Omg.

working on the assumption that even if op is trolling, some other candidate may stumble on this thread later...

Like many life experiences, being trans can either be a tremendously positive chapter in your personal narrative, or a trigger for discomfort. Sharing how you've grown from the experience and bring something special to your class is the key, and not making it something to pity or have to accommodate.

And if you do get to harvard, both the business school and the law school currently have trans students (i'm the former, doing my mba), we'd love some company! Shoot me a note at [email protected] to say hi. :)

best!

^____^ that's so great! Well if i get in, i'll deffff get to know people around.

stop calling me a troll. Omg. How many times do i have to point out im not a troll?

Why are you so hateful. So so so hateful. U cant think someone from the lgbt can get into medicine? Omg one of the world's greatest surgeons is transgendered. Omg.

LGBT guy here. Sweetie, you won't have any trouble. Whatsoever. Trust me. But Harvard is a crapshoot. I am currently on a fellowship there, and they LOVE exceptional students. By that, I mean you. So you definitely have a shot :)

Members don't see this ad :)

You made an entire thread based largely on your transgender identity and your chances in med school, then some people pointed out that some people still aren't open minded and that even open minded people prefer attractive people. It was said in a gruff way but they answered your question. Relax, you will either get in at harvard or your won't...but if you interview well at all, you will get in somewhere. You are clearly intelligent enough to understand that they were not saying an lgtb couldn't make it in medicine, and that almost everyone on sdn thinks almost everyone on sdn is a troll. Deep breaths my friend...

all i said was that if people are biased, things aren't going to go so well. this is beyond your control. and mine. what is so wrong about that? by reminding you that many senior physicians might not be very open-minded, does that make me a bigot? keep you chin up and you'll do very well. maybe one interview won't go so well. don't worry, because some will go very well.

or was it my use of the word tranny? you are using it constantly. i don't care if someone earlier in the thread doesn't like it. its shorter to type so i'm using it.

all i said was that if people are biased, things aren't going to go so well. this is beyond your control. and mine. what is so wrong about that? by reminding you that many senior physicians might not be very open-minded, does that make me a bigot? keep you chin up and you'll do very well. maybe one interview won't go so well. don't worry, because some will go very well.

or was it my use of the word tranny? you are using it constantly. i don't care if someone earlier in the thread doesn't like it. its shorter to type so i'm using it.

trans is shorter genius.

Working on the assumption that even if OP is trolling, some other candidate may stumble on this thread later...

And if you do get to Harvard, both the business school and the law school currently have trans students (I'm the former, doing my MBA), we'd love some company! Shoot me a note at [email protected] to say hi. :)

Best!

Well this is amazing. A [potential] troll starts a thread about an extremely strong applicant's chances at Harvard and, by pure coincidence, another transgender student from Harvard appears to lend the thread credibility!

Nice try.

P.S. - OP, any thread posted on this forum with "Harvard" in the title will immediately be suspected of trolling. It's actually becoming a bit of a cliche. However, if what you've said is true, you have one of the best applications I have ever seen.
Cheers.

Well this is amazing. A [potential] troll starts a thread about an extremely strong applicant's chances at Harvard and, by pure coincidence, another transgender student from Harvard appears to lend the thread credibility!

Nice try.

P.S. - OP, any thread posted on this forum with "Harvard" in the title will immediately be suspected of trolling. It's actually becoming a bit of a cliche. However, if what you've said is true, you have one of the best applications I have ever seen.
Cheers.
I suppose that's a fair concern...

Here's a story written by my section-mate: http://www.harbus.org/2012/incitement-to-indifference-transgender-at-hbs/
Feel free to mail the address contained within and I'll reply.

I have about a million Google alerts set up on this subject, so I tend to cover a lot of ground online.

This thread is so puzzling. The OP clearly has the academic and extra-curricular credentials for top 10 medical schools, but he clearly mentions that there is a another element to his application, being transgender. I would think that this would be the factor that he or she would want people to discuss, but everytime someone mentions how this could impact the OP negatively, they get attacked.

Look OP you stats are great and your story about being trensgender will also be viewed positively by adcoms at some schools, but it may be viewed negatively by others who may unfairly project their prejudices when evaluating the applicant. Us saying that there are bigoted people in the world does not make us bigoted, it makes us realistic. Furthermore, I hate to say it, but the OP's physical appearance may make him or her either more or less vulnerable to people that hold prejudices again transgendered people.

Do not get so defensive when you hear this. You have done great to built up your resume and a school that appreciates your uniqueness will take a chance on you.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using SDN Mobile

This thread is so puzzling. The OP clearly has the academic and extra-curricular credentials for top 10 medical schools, but he clearly mentions that there is a another element to his application, being transgender. I would think that this would be the factor that he or she would want people to discuss, but everytime someone mentions how this could impact the OP negatively, they get attacked.
The problem that many people are having is the phrasing. Someone asking them if they are "passable or goofy looking" is offensive. If people just used appropriate language such as, "some segments of the population, maybe including ADCOM, may have a negative view of transgender people, especially those whose features can be associated with their birth sex. There is research to show that appearance can negatively impact a person throughout life," but even then, that comment adds nothing because transgender people already know this. What matters is if there is a history at Harvard or other top schools of accepting transgender applicants.

The problem that many people are having is the phrasing. Someone asking them if they are "passable or goofy looking" is offensive. If people just used appropriate language such as, "some segments of the population, maybe including ADCOM, may have a negative view of transgender people, especially those whose features can be associated with their birth sex. There is research to show that appearance can negatively impact a person throughout life," but even then, that comment adds nothing because transgender people already know this. What matters is if there is a history at Harvard or other top schools of accepting transgender applicants.

+1

Trans people in general (OP in particular) do not need to be told that they are likely going to face difficulties because they are trans - they already freakin know this. Also calling anyone "goofy looking" is offensive regardless of their sex or gender. What would be more helpful is knowing how GLBTQA friendly Harvard is-of this I have no idea.

I'm Trans & I got accepted this cycle (not to Harvard). See my MDApps for details. But your stats & resume look like they probably blow mine out of the water. You should also apply for a Point Foundation Scholarship.

Congrats on it! Did you have any experiences you felt were discriminatory in the process?

So confused. Let's see if my logical reasoning is on point. Supposed transgendered student busts their behind and gets stellar grades, EC's, and MCAT score, yet feels compelled to come onto this website and start a thread right in the 'What Are My Chances?' forum. That just seems fishy in itself considering the aforementioned student could have just scrolled through past threads and seen heshe's accomplishments are above and beyond.....

I'm Trans & I got accepted this cycle (not to Harvard). See my MDApps for details. But your stats & resume look like they probably blow mine out of the water. You should also apply for a Point Foundation Scholarship.
congrats! if you are comfortable discussing this, I'd be interested to know if you had any experiences you felt were discriminatory in the process as well. did you discuss being trans in your personal statement?

I think you have an amazing application. I would come up with a better way of explaining why you felt you needed to retake your MCAT though.

You are clearly an incredibly intelligent and strong person. I was admitted to HMS this cycle (honestly- such a crapshoot).

Unfortunately, some people in this world are ignorant bigots and you may in fact be interviewing with one of them. Hopefully, they won't be as abrasive as some people in this thread... but even at a place as liberal as HMS, you might be interviewing with a prejudiced physician. I think you just need to make sure you are prepared for that. HMS allows for an additional essay (this year they did) on circumstances not discussed elsewhere. Depending on the extent to which you talk about it in your PS, you may want to use that opportunity to further discuss your experiences. Wishing you all the best! You are clearly going to make a terrific doctor no matter where you go. Good luck!!!

Congrats on it! Did you have any experiences you felt were discriminatory in the process?

congrats! if you are comfortable discussing this, I'd be interested to know if you had any experiences you felt were discriminatory in the process as well. did you discuss being trans in your personal statement?

To be honest: not really. At least not during the admissions process. I am almost 7 years into the whole transition thing and most of the caustic, overt discrimination and s****y treatment happened in the first couple years when people perceived me as more ambiguous. I assume I "pass" well at this point because I generally don't get harassed in public and people only call me by the wrong pronoun a couple times a year. I definitely think that if I didn't "pass" well, it would have made admission a steeper uphill climb. I also think that 5-10 years ago I may not have gotten admitted anywhere. The social climate has changed a lot.

I did mention it in my personal statement, because I think that the experience had a big part in steering my life to where it is and gave me a lot of perspective on vulnerability that is valuable to the practice of medicine.

For anyone that is going into medicine as a trans individual, I would emphasize the need to find mentors & not do this in a vacuum. When I started I was unclear as to whether ANYONE had ever been admitted to an MD program while being out about it on their application. This is (presumably) why someone with epic rockstar stats would start a thread like this. I've still only found a small handful of people in the country after looking pretty intensively. Some vanish because they aren't out in their practice, and that can mean our community has even fewer visible role models. I got some good encouragement & support from a trans MD that I know. There are a few out there. Find them and say hi.

Last edited:
Also, about the word tranny - most trans people hate it in my experience. Except trans people in SoCal for some reason, SoCal seems to think it's totally legit.

I am curious: why is the original poster using "transgendered" when it is not even a real world? All the transgender people I've ever known clear up the confusion immediately when they hear it used. "Transgender" is the only term for someone who is transgender.

I am curious: why is the original poster using "transgendered" when it is not even a real world? All the transgender people I've ever known clear up the confusion immediately when they hear it used. "Transgender" is the only term for someone who is transgender.

It could be a regional thing. I'm in the midwest and have heard trans and genderqueer ppl use transgendered

To be honest: not really. At least not during the admissions process. I am almost 7 years into the whole transition thing and most of the caustic, overt discrimination and s****y treatment happened in the first couple years when people perceived me as more ambiguous. I assume I "pass" well at this point because I generally don't get harassed in public and people only call me by the wrong pronoun a couple times a year. I definitely think that if I didn't "pass" well, it would have made admission a steeper uphill climb. I also think that 5-10 years ago I may not have gotten admitted anywhere. The social climate has changed a lot.

This sentiment is what was brought up as a potential concern and the posters that did were attacked. I think people in this thread are being too sensitive.

OP, you specifically asked what effect your transgender status will have on your obviously top notch application. The responses were honest, accurate, and not driven by hatred. Whether or not they lacked tact is debatable but almost moot in an online forum.

Edit to respond to your question: I cannot speak from experience, I've never applied or had a shot a the very top places like Harvard, and I can only assume it really is quite subjective when competing against such qualified applicants. That being said, I think you have a really fantastic opportunity for acceptance, and almost a guaranteed interview. As the HBS student mentioned previously, describe your experiences as something that helped shape the person you have become and given you perspective and maturity. I think that is important to do for anyone in this process.

Last edited: