I'm transgendered. Chance me for Harvard? CALLING ALL FACULTY ADCOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtran001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can you chance me for a top 10 med schools? btw, I am transgendered and will not be applying to a UC medical school but UCSF.

University of California School

3.98 cgpa
4.00 sgpa
MCAT: 38 / 41
NOT a science major
3000+ volunteer hours
100+ clinical hours
50+ hours shadowing primary care

I have performed in mini-concerts and urban coffee shops.
I write my own songs and sing.
I have organized mini benefit concerts (~200-300 show up) that are 3x a year.

I am a board member for a free clinic. (2 year board, 3 years total)
I am a board member for three organizations that helps the underserved. (3 years board, 4 years total)
I have found 1 nonprofit that will be ongoing (3 years)

I have researched in LGBTQ for the sociology department. (multiple posters, 1 publish, 3 years)
I was in 3 summer research program (science, science, sociology)

I interned for an HUGE agency in Washington, DC for 3 months.

I have done some book publishing stuff.

I will be writing a thesis.

My PS will be based on transgender / medicine.

My chances for a top 10? Harvard?

-Jtran001: Just a tranny your #001 tranny
ps. I don't know how this will play in my interview process.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are lots of words that are cool for a member of a minority group to say, but not so much for outsiders.

And best of luck hunty I'm sure u will b just fine! I wud try and pass as much as possible if I were u

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait you retook the MCAT with a 38? I think LizzyM actually said that would be counted against you...

troll is a troll

I'm actually quite shocked that you're calling me a troll bc I've worked pretty hard my whole life. Coming from my background, being bullied, belittled, and victimized, I had to work hard to MAKE a difference in not only my life but others. If anyone's a troll, it's you, because you have a pretty bad attitude and like to pick petty fights. I'm using the literal term for "troll" - not the SDN.

Trying not to get mad, but why are you surprised that an LGBTQ applicant is applying to medical school, let alone a TRANSGENDERED one? Because you don't think much of people like me? Don't answer. Just think.

Will it really??? =/... I was just neurotic with the whole medical school app!!!

Oh don't worry about it too much. It most likely will not be too much of a problem anyway and it could be her or her adcom's opinion only.

I'm actually quite shocked that you're calling me a troll bc I've worked pretty hard my whole life. Coming from my background, being bullied, belittled, and victimized, I had to work hard to MAKE a difference in not only my life but others. If anyone's a troll, it's you, because you have a pretty bad attitude and like to pick petty fights. I'm using the literal term for "troll" - not the SDN.

Trying not to get mad, but why are you surprised that an LGBTQ applicant is applying to medical school, let alone a TRANSGENDERED one? Because you don't think much of people like me? Don't answer. Just think.

I believe you're being called a troll for the question of whether you can get in with a 4.00 and a 38 on the MCAT. I mean, I can't speak for the person, but that's how I interpreted it.

I believe you're being called a troll for the question of whether you can get in with a 4.00 and a 38 on the MCAT. I mean, I can't speak for the person, but that's how I interpreted it.

I think OP is being called a troll for supposely retook a the mcat after scoring a 38 ....It is hard for anyone to believe that someone retook that test after being in the 99 percentile of test takers unless that score was expired.

Last edited:
I think OP is being called a troll for supposely retook a the mcat after scoring a 38 ....It is hard for anyone to believe that someone retook that test after being in the 99 percentile of test takers unless that score was expired.

Yeh.... I just took it again, because I wanted to increase my chances for all the top 10's. I'm not kidding guys!! plz chance me :(!!!!!

I'm probably going to apply to a good mix of top 10, top 50 and other schools beyond that. Any medical school would suffice but... i just really want to go to Harvard :love:

However, what do you guys think my chances are in New York?

OP, that's an incredible application (numbers and ECs).

go full-steam ahead; i think you are a top tier applicant no matter where you go.

a 38/41 MCAT for a NONSCIENCE major? that's...unbelievable...in a good way!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an excellent chance at any medical school you apply to. And that is something almost all pre med students can only dream to hear. Good luck, you are indeed exceptional so you don't need it, but good luck anyways.

If these stats are real. I would say you have an excellent chance in medical school, you have a unique background that would contribute to the diversity of your prospective school and you have an MCAT that is astounding along with a near perfect GPA. As long as you don't mess up in the interviews, you have a decent chance at an acceptance with a merit based scholarship. IDK about specifically Harvard though, that school is a crapshoot for everyone.

Are you passable or are you a goofy looking? Also transgendered female (m-->f) or transgendered male? TBQH those may matter.

I'm not an expert, but your profile looks like one that adcoms would really appreciate. You've overcome a stigma and remained committed to so many different things. That shows great character. Your numbers, on top of that, are exemplary. In my opinion, I think you have a pretty good chance at a top ten school, including Harvard. Like I say "Those who withstand, stand with dignity."

There is nothing wrong with your personal life and identity being part of your app/ interview, but let your academics speak for you. You did the work and don't have to lean on your identity to get you points.

I can certainly hear some adcom members saying "Why retake the MCAT with a score like that?":confused: but in the end I think that adcoms coast-to-coast will find this application a "must interview".

I think your chances are very high. The speed bump for you will be when it comes to interviews and how handle people that may or may not have negative views on being LGBT.

Are you passable or are you a goofy looking? Also transgendered female (m-->f) or transgendered male? TBQH those may matter.

Goofy looking? Really? I realize appearance may be a factor, but please do not refer to trans folk as goofy looking. Not cool.

Goofy looking? Really? I realize appearance may be a factor, but please do not refer to trans folk as goofy looking. Not cool.

Yeah... I'm gonna have to agree with this. :thumbup:

Way to go op btw, you look like a solid candidate! What kind of work did you do in Washington, was it advocacy work?

Yeh.... I just took it again, because I wanted to increase my chances for all the top 10's. I'm not kidding guys!! plz chance me :(!!!!!

I'm probably going to apply to a good mix of top 10, top 50 and other schools beyond that. Any medical school would suffice but... i just really want to go to Harvard :love:

However, what do you guys think my chances are in New York?

"If you took the MCAT and got a 38 and retook again because that "wasn't good enough", then I would automatically eliminate you because of your abnormally high squirrel titer" - from the MD I am working for.

They can be. I'm sorry if you dislike reality. I'm not a huge fan of reality either. You can't just close your eyes, wave your magic wand, and it make it different though. You have to live in this world.

They can be. I'm sorry if you dislike reality. I'm not a huge fan of reality either. You can't just close your eyes, wave your magic wand, and it make it different though. You have to live in this world.

You are attributing a value to individuals based on your own insecurities. How does calling a person goofy looking help make this a better world in any way? Thats not reality, thats your perception. This is part of the reason why many folks in the trans community mistrust doctors, because of bigotry like this. I live in this world and have close friends who are trans. Many of them experience tremendous anxiety because of the extreme pressure to pass. To belittle people based on their appearances is not only discriminatory and close minded, but also unbecoming of a medical professional.

You are attributing a value to individuals based on your own insecurities. How does calling a person goofy looking help make this a better world in any way? Thats not reality, thats your perception. This is part of the reason why many folks in the trans community mistrust doctors, because of bigotry like this. I live in this world and have close friends who are trans. Many of them experience tremendous anxiety because of the extreme pressure to pass. To belittle people based on their appearances is not only discriminatory and close minded, but also unbecoming of a medical professional.

I'm not saying all of them look awkward, but some are not very passable and that does make a difference when it comes to interviewing for professional positions.

A large amount of research in the realm of economics has shown very convincingly that how attractive you are, your weight, and for guys height make significant differences in terms of career outcomes and lifetime earnings.

Do you even know what bigotry means? You really are reading my responses as full of hatred and intolerance?

I'm sure they experience extreme anxiety and that is rough. We can't magic that away. Closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU REALITY doesn't do anyone any favors.

Yes, in reality there are a lot of people that are judgmental like you, but even if you got your answers, you can't make a judgment on their chances for med school. Personally, I could care less if someone is transgender if I was the interviewer. Some other person might even see it positively to add diversity to their class even if they are "goofy looking" in your opinion.

I'm not saying all of them look awkward, but some are not very passable and that does make a difference when it comes to interviewing for professional positions.

A large amount of research in the realm of economics has shown very convincingly that how attractive you are, your weight, and for guys height make significant differences in terms of career outcomes and lifetime earnings.

Do you even know what bigotry means? You really are reading my responses as full of hatred and intolerance?

I'm sure they experience extreme anxiety and that is rough. We can't magic that away. Closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU REALITY doesn't do anyone any favors.

I agree 100%.

"If you took the MCAT and got a 38 and retook again because that "wasn't good enough", then I would automatically eliminate you because of your abnormally high squirrel titer" - from the MD I am working for.

Jealous premed is jealous.

I'm not asking you to magic that way. I'm asking you not to contribute to the problem. Of course I'm aware that appearances influence outcomes. You don't think trans people worry about this? And yes, I think referring to trans people as goofy looking is bigoted.

Anyway, I'm guessing the op did not make this thread to hear what people's opinions of how they should look...

Anyway, I'm guessing the op did not make this thread to hear what people's opinions of how they should look...

Well I mean what else is there to talk about. Other than that their application is about as perfect as you can get (minus the retaking a 38 which is hilarious).

I don't get why people say it's "my fault" I say others perceive some trans as looking goofy. That is just a fact.

You folks are completely delusional if you think we can all just decide to find certain things more or less attractive or jarring. That is nearly as bad as the conservative religious types telling gay people to just "decide" to be straight.

Well I mean what else is there to talk about. Other than that their application is about as perfect as you can get (minus the retaking a 38 which is hilarious).

I don't get why people say it's "my fault" I say others perceive some trans as looking goofy. That is just a fact.

You folks are completely delusional if you think we can all just decide to find certain things more or less attractive or jarring. That is nearly as bad as the conservative religious types telling gay people to just "decide" to be straight.

That's not the same. What you find attractive is not important, the op did not ask you your opinion. And as far as your religious right analogy, it's not the same. You can decide not to tell somebody they look "goofy." That's like asking a black person how black they are.

That's not the same. What you find attractive is not important, the op did not ask you your opinion. And as far as your religious right analogy, it's not the same. You can decide not to tell somebody they look "goofy." That's like asking a black person how black they are.

I Laughed so hard XD

I love how you mistake assertions for responsive arguments.

In all honesty, someone with these stats shouldn't need to be asking the SDN community for its thoughts. There really isn't anything we can tell you that you already don't know -- that you will interview at many top schools, and your interviews are what will really determine your chances going forward.

I love how you mistake assertions for responsive arguments.

I've said what I need to say, I'm done here. All I'm asking is to think about the way you view trans people and not to perpetuate trans phobia. Would you want to hear an unwarranted comment on your appearance in that situation?

I've said what I need to say, I'm done here. All I'm asking is to think about the way you view trans people and not to perpetuate trans phobia. Would you want to hear an unwarranted comment on your appearance in that situation?

Let's try an example you may be able to understand (although I guarantee you'll take it the wrong way).

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not appear morbidly obese what do you think my chances are?"

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not have full body tattoos what do you think my chances are?"

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not appear transgender what do you think my chances are?"

What do you think are going to be normal responses to all three?

I promise "Textbookversion" is not me.

Let's try an example you may be able to understand (although I guarantee you'll take it the wrong way).

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not appear morbidly obese what do you think my chances are?"

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not have full body tattoos what do you think my chances are?"

"Hi guys I'm applying to medical school here is my perfect application. I may or may not appear transgender what do you think my chances are?"

What do you think are going to be normal responses to all three?

If the OP brings up that they are concerned about their appearance affecting their chances then I think it is appropriate to discuss it. I would maybe exclude tattoos from the this, but in terms of obesity and being trans, I think it's up to the poster if they want to discuss that. In no way is it appropriate for somebody to ask them if they are "goofy" looking. I realize this is the internet and the anonymity shield is up, but as a provider would you tell this to your patients? Would you tell an adolescent that they look awkward? I don't understand why you are trying to defend yourself behind what you think are "normal" responses, transphobia is a big problem in this country and while it may be normalized by society to say these things, it is not okay and it needs to stop.

http://lgbtrc.ucdavis.edu/lgbt-education/words-that-are-transphobic-and-why

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/story/2012/10/23/sby-transgender-series-2.html

As a medical professional you have a responsibility to be better than that.

Would I tell an adolescent they looked awkward? Is your IQ even in the positive digits? That's your takeaway from this?

Would I tell an adolescent they looked awkward? Is your IQ even in the positive digits? That's your takeaway from this?

Nope, I clearly have a negative IQ. I'm asking you, would you tell somebody who may or may not be in a transition they are awkward or goofy looking? This is basically what you were getting at. But it's nice that you have the proclivity to belittle people as well, I know I sure appreciate it.

Way to go op btw, you look like a solid candidate! What kind of work did you do in Washington, was it advocacy work?

I can't really specify to keep my application as ANONYmous as possible but lets just say I would do it again in a heart beat.