images in Pathology Shelf exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troopersmama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

We have pathology shelf exam in about 3 weeks. Caveat to that is that we have 2 other shelf exams to prepare for as well as 2 other finals including the pathology shelf so the next 3 weeks are not devoted completely to studying for path shelf.

With that in mind I had two questions I was hoping someone could contribute info for me to.

1. I know it was mentioned that there are some images in the pathology shelf. Does anyone know approximately how many images there usually are on average on the shelf exam, and what is best high yield resource to study for the image part

2. In addition to reviewing Goljan Rapid Review and lectures, what is the best most high yield question bank to go over for the pathology shelf. I have the rapid review book question, access to Kaplan Qbank, as well as the open sources like Webpath, etc.

I guess I'm just not sure if I should approach the shelf studying similarly to my USMLE pathology studying.

Thanks !!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone

We have pathology shelf exam in about 3 weeks. Caveat to that is that we have 2 other shelf exams to prepare for as well as 2 other finals including the pathology shelf so the next 3 weeks are not devoted completely to studying for path shelf.

With that in mind I had two questions I was hoping someone could contribute info for me to.

1. I know it was mentioned that there are some images in the pathology shelf. Does anyone know approximately how many images there usually are on average on the shelf exam, and what is best high yield resource to study for the image part

2. In addition to reviewing Goljan Rapid Review and lectures, what is the best most high yield question bank to go over for the pathology shelf. I have the rapid review book question, access to Kaplan Qbank, as well as the open sources like Webpath, etc.

I guess I'm just not sure if I should approach the shelf studying similarly to my USMLE pathology studying.

Thanks !!:luck:

don't know never took a "shelf" exam but a good path question book is Robbins review of pathology, also you can try the pretest series pathology question book...but robbins is really good, has pics in it as well.

The OP has probably already taken the path shelf, but if anyone else was wondering, I would say my test had about 12 pics out of 125 questions. Some of them weren't necessary to get the question right, but it would certainly help to know what you are looking at. Time spent looking at pictures is not high yield for this test, imo. Details are important.

Several micro type pictures. i.e. sputum/vaginal/etc stains - what is the organism
Several gross pics - i.e. liver/kidney/bone - what is the most likely cancer/process causing the lesion