IMG and anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinnair

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Iam an IMG(not US citizen) with a post graduate degree in anesthesiology from my home country. With anesthesia becoming competitive from this year on, how difficult is it for an IMG( usmle scores 99/96) to get into an university based program offering experience in critical care, pain management, trauma and transplant anesthesia? From what I have read on this and other forums I understand it is difficult for an IMG to get into residency. I just want to have realistic expectations. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

National Resident Matching Program Results for 2003: Continuing Strong Recruitment, Few Surprises

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2003/05_03/grog.html

53 out of 1211 applicants who matched into anesthesia in 2003 were non-US IMG. I don't know how many additional positions were taken outside of the match. There were only 1264 positions available through the match. So there really wasn't much left for the scramble. If you knew how many IMGs applied that would give you an idea of how competitive it is for people in your position.

I interviewed at some top notch places this year and I met a few IMgs (not many) at some interviews.