IMG applying for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acelao

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear members:

I am a Practicing plastic surgeon in the USA, recently got married and my wife was a practicing dermatologist in Japan. She would like to try to obtain license and eventually practicing in the USA. She knows dermatology is almost an impossible specialty to get in. She is willing to do less competitive specialty like family medicine, anesthesia or internal med. what are her chances? I know she will need to take usmles first. But just wondering someone like her who has never done US rotations, research projects or papers, or US LOR, is her chance pretty much none?? I went through med school and residency in the USA so my path was completely different from hers, appreciate if anyone or other succeeded IMGs in the USA can shed some light.
Thank you very much.

W

Members don't see this ad.

Dear members:

I am a Practicing plastic surgeon in the USA, recently got married and my wife was a practicing dermatologist in Japan. She would like to try to obtain license and eventually practicing in the USA. She knows dermatology is almost an impossible specialty to get in. She is willing to do less competitive specialty like family medicine, anesthesia or internal med. what are her chances? I know she will need to take usmles first. But just wondering someone like her who has never done US rotations, research projects or papers, or US LOR, is her chance pretty much none?? I went through med school and residency in the USA so my path was completely different from hers, appreciate if anyone or other succeeded IMGs in the USA can shed some light.
Thank you very much.

W
Also what if she just wants to obtain license? Is internship/prelim year the only clinical thing she needs to obtain license? Is it hard to get just the prelim for IMG? Thanks again.

Also what if she just wants to obtain license? Is internship/prelim year the only clinical thing she needs to obtain license? Is it hard to get just the prelim for IMG? Thanks again.

All states require at least one year of graduate medical education to obtain a license. Most require three years: https://www.ama-assn.org/life-caree...-requirements-international-medical-graduates

Preliminary years, especially surgical ones, are not very difficult to obtain but are becoming increasingly so. As you noted in your first post, she would be required to take Step 1&2. Although we preach the necessity of US clinical experience and letters, it is likely true that most FMGs don't have these. Start with the ECFMG website for more information on what is required to get into US graduate medical education: http://www.ecfmg.org

Finally, not that you asked our advice but how interested is she in pursuing a different specialty? Frankly if I were in the same situation I would consider opening a med spa and having her work there. She can use her dermatology skills, and if she decides not to obtain or can't obtain a US medical license, you serve as the medical director with your license while she is the one seeing the patients and running this spa. If she marketed it as offering Asian/Japanese skincare techniques she might do very well. They would eat it up out here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
All states require at least one year of graduate medical education to obtain a license. Most require three years: https://www.ama-assn.org/life-caree...-requirements-international-medical-graduates

Preliminary years, especially surgical ones, are not very difficult to obtain but are becoming increasingly so. As you noted in your first post, she would be required to take Step 1&2. Although we preach the necessity of US clinical experience and letters, it is likely true that most FMGs don't have these. Start with the ECFMG website for more information on what is required to get into US graduate medical education: http://www.ecfmg.org

Finally, not that you asked our advice but how interested is she in pursuing a different specialty? Frankly if I were in the same situation I would consider opening a med spa and having her work there. She can use her dermatology skills, and if she decides not to obtain or can't obtain a US medical license, you serve as the medical director with your license while she is the one seeing the patients and running this spa. If she marketed it as offering Asian/Japanese skincare techniques she might do very well. They would eat it up out here.

On an unrelated note -- how much of this advice -- especially the third paragraph -- is from personal experience? =D

On an unrelated note -- how much of this advice -- especially the third paragraph -- is from personal experience? =D

???

No personal experience. Just thought it sounded like the easiest way for her to see patients, do what she loves to do without having to repeat training in a field she may not be interested in. Plus it's a great source of revenue for A plastic surgeon.

I do have experience with being trained in another country and then coming here

???

No personal experience. Just thought it sounded like the easiest way for her to see patients, do what she loves to do without having to repeat training in a field she may not be interested in. Plus it's a great source of revenue for A plastic surgeon.

I do have experience with being trained in another country and then coming here

Dang, I was just hoping you wanted to open up a medspa for me! A lad can dream...

Reactions: 1 user