IMG applying to psych with not so great scores, should I apply for a back up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disappointeddreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as a non carib IMG who is dead set on doing psychiatry the recent competitiveness in the field is starting to scare me. And to top that off my Step 1 score is nothing to write home about (215-220).

I will be applying to psych in this years match, I will be applying to every single program in the country that takes IMGs. I will be done with CK by the time apps go out & hoping to get >240. My CV reflects that I am very passionate about psych (EC's, volunteer work etc). I have 3 US LORs, 2 of them are Psych. One is a Sub-I, LOR from PD of a community program.

I am terrified of not matching. Should I be applying to IM as back up, or am I worrying too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe try get a publication or two if you don’t have one? Prepare well for interviews. I think applying very broadly makes sense. I don’t think that applying to IM makes sense if you don’t want to do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Second what smallbird said, you'll get interviews and you'll have to do well on them. Try to get a poster or two at APA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe try get a publication or two if you don’t have one? Prepare well for interviews. I think applying very broadly makes sense. I don’t think that applying to IM makes sense if you don’t want to do that.
Second what smallbird said, you'll get interviews and you'll have to do well on them. Try to get a poster or two at APA.

Oh wow thanks for the reply guys :)

I'm planning on doing some research after I am finished with CK. I'm not sure if i'll get any pubs though. Thanks again!

So as a non carib IMG who is dead set on doing psychiatry the recent competitiveness in the field is starting to scare me. And to top that off my Step 1 score is nothing to write home about (215-220).

I will be applying to psych in this years match, I will be applying to every single program in the country that takes IMGs. I will be done with CK by the time apps go out & hoping to get >240. My CV reflects that I am very passionate about psych (EC's, volunteer work etc). I have 3 US LORs, 2 of them are Psych. One is a Sub-I, LOR from PD of a community program.

I am terrified of not matching. Should I be applying to IM as back up, or am I worrying too much?
I am not sure that I would agree with either of the two posters (SmallBird an MedMan80), assuming that your goal is still to be a practicing physician if you can't get into psych. Psych is becoming more competitive. IMGs still fill a lot of our slots but the numbers are dropping and it tends to be the "stronger" ones who are getting positions. The best way to maximize your chances is to make sure you have done a sub-I at a program (which you apparently have), and talk intelligently about psychiatry, the program, and yourself during your interviews. Also I would tell you to make sure your CK scores are back in before Sept (Oct at the latest) as a lot of places won't give you an interview without them. If your scores won't be back before then, then wait a year as each year that you apply and don't get in is a red mark on your file.

If you want to be a MD, even if you can't be a psychiatrist, then I would tell you to apply to some non-psych programs. I would go for family practice as they deal with a good amount of psych. Personally I think you having a paper will have minimal impact on your ability to get into programs. Papers would help those individuals whose CV document a longterm interest in doing research.

I am not sure that I would agree with either of the two posters (SmallBird an MedMan80), assuming that your goal is still to be a practicing physician if you can't get into psych. Psych is becoming more competitive. IMGs still fill a lot of our slots but the numbers are dropping and it tends to be the "stronger" ones who are getting positions. The best way to maximize your chances is to make sure you have done a sub-I at a program (which you apparently have), and talk intelligently about psychiatry, the program, and yourself during your interviews. Also I would tell you to make sure your CK scores are back in before Sept (Oct at the latest) as a lot of places won't give you an interview without them. If your scores won't be back before then, then wait a year as each year that you apply and don't get in is a red mark on your file.

If you want to be a MD, even if you can't be a psychiatrist, then I would tell you to apply to some non-psych programs. I would go for family practice as they deal with a good amount of psych. Personally I think you having a paper will have minimal impact on your ability to get into programs. Papers would help those individuals whose CV document a longterm interest in doing research.

Yes this is main worry. I will CK & CS done & be ECFMG certified by September. That is for sure. If I have time I am thinking of taking Step 3 as well, which might help offset my low step 1.

I would rather match into something than not match at all. Honestly I'm not sure what to expect.

Will your CS be done? Any possibility of also taking Step 3? The former is pretty much required, the latter I've heard helps.

Yes, I am expecting to be ecfmg certified by September before applications go out. I really would like to take Step 3 as well, but I am not sure if I will have time for it or not.

Yes, I am expecting to be ecfmg certified by September before applications go out. I really would like to take Step 3 as well, but I am not sure if I will have time for it or not.
I think Step 3 is less important unless there is a desire for a H visa.

U should apply to IM,neuro and FP. You can always transfer as a pgy2. Transfering as a pgy2 is likely easier than getting any pgy1 for an IMG. I did a psych intern year in a program that I ended up not liking. When I did residency in 2009 there were 3 pgy2 vacancies in 1 program in my home city and another pgy 2 vacancy in another program in the same city. I also got an offer to switch to another pgy2 seat in the same city where I did my intern year. However I accepted an offer to go the my home city. One program cancelled an interview. I didn't get an interview in the other hometown program. I cancelled another interview. I know one or 2 other interns at my intern year switched to other fields. Also the 2 other spots where I did my pgy2 yo pgy 4 were filled with FM interns. They had no real issues except having to do their 2 neuro months in pgy4 which I did as pgy 1.they probably had to play catch up and were mildly stressed for their first prite as pgy2. Probably by end of pgy 2 they were caught up.

This maybe more competitive than 2009. Also know that there are some mental health fellowships in FM and also a fellowship in neuro called behavioral neurology. You can do memory disorders thru neuro which can be like geriatric psych. Also you can do addictions medicine through IM or FM or both.

Lots of pathways either to pgy2 psych or mental health.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

U should apply to IM,neuro and FP. You can always transfer as a pgy2. Transfering as a pgy2 is likely easier than getting any pgy1 for an IMG. I did a psych intern year in a program that I ended up not liking. When I did residency in 2009 there were 3 pgy2 vacancies in 1 program in my home city and another pgy 2 vacancy in another program in the same city. I also got an offer to switch to another pgy2 seat in the same city where I did my intern year. However I accepted an offer to go the my home city. One program cancelled an interview. I didn't get an interview in the other hometown program. I cancelled another interview. I know one or 2 other interns at my intern year switched to other fields. Also the 2 other spots where I did my pgy2 yo pgy 4 were filled with FM interns. They had no real issues except having to do their 2 neuro months in pgy4 which I did as pgy 1.they probably had to play catch up and were mildly stressed for their first prite as pgy2. Probably by end of pgy 2 they were caught up.

This maybe more competitive than 2009. Also know that there are some mental health fellowships in FM and also a fellowship in neuro called behavioral neurology. You can do memory disorders thru neuro which can be like geriatric psych. Also you can do addictions medicine through IM or FM or both.

Lots of pathways either to pgy2 psych or mental health.

That was something I considered. I thought perhaps I could do a prelim year and try to match PGY2 psych elsewhere. But I thought the PDs hated it when residents transferred out from their categorical residencies. Because that was also something I was considering doing, but I heard pd's don't let residents transfer that easily.

That maybe true but maybe easier if you arrange a swap through residency swap.

You are messing up if you don’t also apply FM. You need to get your foot in the door. If you end up with a crap ton of psych interviews, then you can drop the backup stuff but you don’t want to blow and entire cycle

You are messing up if you don’t also apply FM. You need to get your foot in the door. If you end up with a crap ton of psych interviews, then you can drop the backup stuff but you don’t want to blow and entire cycle

Agreed, I was planning on applying to a backup as well. But I wasn't sure if it was necessary. Fingers crossed everything works out!

Hi! Wanted to ask how you were able to secure a sub-I, I'm currently in a similar situation except I'm in the process of switching specialties (returning to residency hopefully) so trying to navigate is difficult. Did you just cold-call programs?

Hi! Wanted to ask how you were able to secure a sub-I, I'm currently in a similar situation except I'm in the process of switching specialties (returning to residency hopefully) so trying to navigate is difficult. Did you just cold-call programs?

No I applied to the program directly. Check on the Residency programs website & whether they offer Sub-I's or Clerkships to IMGs, and follow their instructions.