Psychiatry as a img

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shazza93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all! Just a quick question, obviously the Match season and applications are coming soon. I haven’t been able to focus on a ton on it because I’m more focused on step two. As a us img, do you recommend I apply to all programs? I can give more insight to my application here but just wanted to know if I should hedge my bet and just apply to every single one given how competitive it is.

Members don't see this ad.

US-IMG (not Caribbean) who matched last cycle.

I applied to almost all programs except for extremely high reach programs (think BIDMC, Brown etc.) and those in the regions I did not like, unless they accepted a good number of IMGs in the past. Final list ended up being close to 200.

Got 13 interviews but matched kinda low on my list. I love my program though! It was a program that I did not expect at all, with historically almost no IMGs, so I do not regret my decision to apply widely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
NO. There is no point in applying to programs you haven't got a hope in hell of matching at. Also do not apply to programs that you have zero interest in or would rather not match. That said, there are now over 350 psych residency programs, so you want to apply to between 100-250 of those programs depending on how competitive your application is. It is better to apply strategically than it is to apply based on numbers alone. Prioritize those programs which have IMGs, particularly from your school, and those in locations you would like to live and/or have ties to. Do away rotations at programs of interest if possible. Select regions with a good number of programs so you can use signalling to your advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this something people actually do? Apply to 350 programs? $9k just on applications?

Reactions: 1 users
Is this something people actually do? Apply to 350 programs? $9k just on applications?
I rarely comment but it is hard for IMGs (My father was one and so was my uncle) they do whatever they have to do to get in.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a decision that only the IMG applicant can make. It is true that many IMGs never manage to match, and it is also true that the increased likelihood of matching by spending $9K vs $8K is difficult to measure. Only the applicant can say if they have to throw their buck shot as widely as humanly possible and avoid wondering "what if" for the rest of their lives. Alternatively, IMGs can intellectually know that an extra grand will probably only change odds by one percent or so.

The advice I would give is that the more matches you have been in without success and the further you get from your medical school graduation date, the less you should count on shear numbers and the more you need to be a rifle instead of a shot gun. Network and work for a connected academic psychiatrist by doing research with them. Bruit force once failed a couple of times has diminishing returns with repetition.

Reactions: 2 users
As everyone above has said, you should apply to a lot of programs, but you should absolutely not apply to ALL programs. Programs that have no IMGs (or, have 1 or 2 IMGs with lots of research but no DOs or more typical IMGs) are not worth applying to. These are programs that will simply screen out your application.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll add that even the IMG programs screen heavily as they get a LOAD of applicants, so focusing on where you are from geographically, or programs you are interested in/know about. Psych vs IM, the interview is KEY, so make sure you prepare and are on your A-game.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your commments. Didn’t apply to every program and am being most strategic with it