IMG ECFMG Certification help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roddick597

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I received a few interviews for this match season already. A few of the programs state on their website that applicants "must be ECFMG certified by submission of our rank list." Rank submission deadline is in mid-February. However, I do not complete medical school until end of March. Will this affect my chances of matching at these programs? Would I not be able to rank them, or would they not rank me since I would not be certified by rank day deadline?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you can only get ecfmg certified after you graduate?

It depends what they mean. If they mean truly "ECFMG Certified", then yes they will not rank you since you must have your diploma to get ECFMG Certified. Of course, they should have noticed this in your application since you put your expected data of graduation, so it would be pretty foolish of them to waste an interview slot on you.

What is usually meant is "ECFMG verified", which means you have passed S1, S2CK, and S2CS and your school verifies that you will complete training by July 1. If you don't meet those requirements, it doesn't matter what programs you have interviewed with as you will be withdrawn from the match completely.

In any case, the answer is to politely contact the program admin and ask about your situation. It's a waste of yours and their time if this will be an issue. They may be happy with a March graduation, and they might be more flexible if you don't need a visa.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends what they mean. If they mean truly "ECFMG Certified", then yes they will not rank you since you must have your diploma to get ECFMG Certified. Of course, they should have noticed this in your application since you put your expected data of graduation, so it would be pretty foolish of them to waste an interview slot on you.

What is usually meant is "ECFMG verified", which means you have passed S1, S2CK, and S2CS and your school verifies that you will complete training by July 1. If you don't meet those requirements, it doesn't matter what programs you have interviewed with as you will be withdrawn from the match completely.

In any case, the answer is to politely contact the program admin and ask about your situation. It's a waste of yours and their time if this will be an issue. They may be happy with a March graduation, and they might be more flexible if you don't need a visa.

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely contact them and hopefully it works out for the best!