IMG-ERAS-Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northandponce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier this season, I had read on this site that there is no need to list our clerkships/electives under "experience" on the ERAS form.

However, maybe that wasn't the best advice for IMG/IMS- seeing as though many programs like to see minimum amount of time spent in US hospitals--- for example, today I came across a program that specifically requested we list our US experience under the "experience" heading in our ERAS-CAS form.

It's too late to change that now, obviously- but it may shed some light as to why I haven't heard back from many programs.

Anyone else in similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was about to finish my CAF I had included all my US rotations. Then I heard from multiple sources that this would not be a good idea since the medical school curriculum is not supposed to be included (does not fit into work experience, does not fit anywhere else in the CAF) and deleted it.

BUT: the MSPE is apparently the place where this information should go (there's a spot for clerkships and last year electives). In addition, I just listed the number of months of "US experience" under "Other Awards/ Accomplishments". Doesn't fit there too much either, but I don't think the one-liner gives program directors a headache ;-)

Anyways, I have less than 5 invitations (for IM) so far, but I also only got 2 rejections. Maybe this is one of the reasons that programs want to see the MSPE before they decide about IMGs?

US grads should not list their clinical rotations as experience.

IMG's probably should list them under the experience category. However, most PD's will be looking at your LOR's as the best metric of your US clinical experience.

US grads should not list their clinical rotations as experience.

IMG's probably should list them under the experience category. However, most PD's will be looking at your LOR's as the best metric of your US clinical experience.

Should IMGs list it as Work/Volunteer/Research experience on the ERAS app? Thank you.

Should IMGs list it as Work/Volunteer/Research experience on the ERAS app? Thank you.

If you're a Carib IMG, then you should do none of the above. All of your clinicals are in the US, and PD's will know that.

If you're not a Carib IMG and you have 1-2 US rotations, then I probably would list them as a work experience. Again, as above, I'd be looking for LOR's anyway so this could be seen as somewhat repetitive, but US experience is worth highlighting.