IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping for at least 4-6 interviews at this point? (Haha now that I write this sentence I feel so foolish and arrogant for thinking I was good enough to be considered...). From what my research has shown (again, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong), at least 5+ interviews would help increase your chances of matching...

One classmate who is applying into both FM and IM applied into 90 programs total and has received 7 invitations. Another classmate is applying into pathology (I know I shouldn't compare myself to their situation as it's another field, but can't help feeling so insecure...), applied to around 35 programs and got 10+ invitations already.
Hi, I hope you matched but if not dont loose hope and try again. You may want to ask for a different strategy this cycle. I matched into FM in 2013 with 3 interviews. My hospitalist buddy is an american graduated from the caribbean and had to apply to 200 programs to match into IM, works as a hospitalist too. Most people I know that matched this year applied to at least 150 programs. Interview day is very important too, find things that are trending in FM like CDI and underserved fellowships/tracks and use that info to build your CV.

Good luck

Hey guys did anyone match here? I did and I will write a review of my journey for future readers. Other peoples posts have really helped me and I want to make sure I contribute.
I matched with 6 interviews. 5 FM and 1 IM applied to a total of 200. (150fm-50im)

Reactions: 2 users
Is this thread dead? I would love to hear peoples outcomes with this match cycle.

I wanted to post my story on here for all the future readers in all the match cycles going forward. I hope it helps someone out there and I know I read other peoples stories which really helped motivate me.

I graduated medical school in 2016 from a european school. I did my clerkship years in Chicago. After rotations I had only finished my step 1 on which I scored low in.

After graduation I studied for my Step 2CS and passed that, during this time I was also looking for research opportunities and eventually I found one in a hospital in georgia. I did a year long research fellowship and I managed to get a few publications and presentations. After my research I took some time to study for my Step 2CK and I passed that with a better score.

At this point in January of 2020 I had been out of clinical medicine for a while so I did 6 months of hands on externships in various parts of the US (its important to do them in different states so programs see that you are flexible to move). This time really helped me build my confidence and work on my clinical skills again.

After my rotations I spent a long time (months) working on my application material. I think people forget how important the LORs, PS and ERAS CV are to an application. I then applied in October for the 2021 cycle. This was my first application cycle.

The first few months after applications I got nothing, only rejections. It was a very humbling experience. I got my first interview after 2 months from a connection I made during my journey. After that I got a few more in the month that followed, when one of my attending emailed programs for me. At this point I was at 4. Two weeks before the season was to close a bunch of new programs opened up and I applied to them also and got a few more interviews. I had 7 interviews all up.

I matched this season and my scores are not amazing and I am an Non US-IMG with a long YOG. I wanted to share my story here as I have seen a lot of negativity towards people on the journey to the match, and I really think these forums cause a lot of damage to people. I think the only thing one can do is do the best they can (which is all you can do) and leave what you can't control out of your thought patterns.

Advise I would give to people:

- Make sure you have recent clinical experience - All my interviewers commented on how I had recent experience, due to my year of graduation
- Practice for your interviews- I scripted all my answers and I practiced them every day with a friend till they sounded non scripted. Also when you make your answers make sure they are unique
- The successful match is a great resource for this journey and I would recommend it
- Volunteering at food banks and free health clinics is a good thing to have on your CV- One program interviewer mentioned I had the most volunteer experiences of all the candidates who applied. So i think people notice for sure.
- Make contacts - I reached out to everyone I knew and also called doctors (who I didn't know) who went to my school for help. Many said they would help some didn't. It's a humbling experience for sure however it might open doors for you. Also start reaching out early like a year before applications don't leave it to a month before as your friends might have had others ask for their help.
- Check new programs every day as they are constantly being approved

-One thing I wanted to mention is that research isn't always the most useful thing especially for primary care residences like FM or IM. If you do them do it because you want to learn research not because you think someone will pick you for residency. I think there are a lot more important things to do like rotations, making contacts or step 3

If anyone has any questions please ask, I will try to check on here every once in a while. All the best.

G

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! Thanks for sharing your story. I am applying to IM/ FM this year and will be by third cycle. Fingers crossed that this will be the year!
Congratualtions!

I wanted to post my story on here for all the future readers in all the match cycles going forward. I hope it helps someone out there and I know I read other peoples stories which really helped motivate me.

I graduated medical school in 2016 from a european school. I did my clerkship years in Chicago. After rotations I had only finished my step 1 on which I scored low in.

After graduation I studied for my Step 2CS and passed that, during this time I was also looking for research opportunities and eventually I found one in a hospital in georgia. I did a year long research fellowship and I managed to get a few publications and presentations. After my research I took some time to study for my Step 2CK and I passed that with a better score.

At this point in January of 2020 I had been out of clinical medicine for a while so I did 6 months of hands on externships in various parts of the US (its important to do them in different states so programs see that you are flexible to move). This time really helped me build my confidence and work on my clinical skills again.

After my rotations I spent a long time (months) working on my application material. I think people forget how important the LORs, PS and ERAS CV are to an application. I then applied in October for the 2021 cycle. This was my first application cycle.

The first few months after applications I got nothing, only rejections. It was a very humbling experience. I got my first interview after 2 months from a connection I made during my journey. After that I got a few more in the month that followed, when one of my attending emailed programs for me. At this point I was at 4. Two weeks before the season was to close a bunch of new programs opened up and I applied to them also and got a few more interviews. I had 7 interviews all up.

I matched this season and my scores are not amazing and I am an Non US-IMG with a long YOG. I wanted to share my story here as I have seen a lot of negativity towards people on the journey to the match, and I really think these forums cause a lot of damage to people. I think the only thing one can do is do the best they can (which is all you can do) and leave what you can't control out of your thought patterns.

Advise I would give to people:

- Make sure you have recent clinical experience - All my interviewers commented on how I had recent experience, due to my year of graduation
- Practice for your interviews- I scripted all my answers and I practiced them every day with a friend till they sounded non scripted. Also when you make your answers make sure they are unique
- The successful match is a great resource for this journey and I would recommend it
- Volunteering at food banks and free health clinics is a good thing to have on your CV- One program interviewer mentioned I had the most volunteer experiences of all the candidates who applied. So i think people notice for sure.
- Make contacts - I reached out to everyone I knew and also called doctors (who I didn't know) who went to my school for help. Many said they would help some didn't. It's a humbling experience for sure however it might open doors for you. Also start reaching out early like a year before applications don't leave it to a month before as your friends might have had others ask for their help.
- Check new programs every day as they are constantly being approved

-One thing I wanted to mention is that research isn't always the most useful thing especially for primary care residences like FM or IM. If you do them do it because you want to learn research not because you think someone will pick you for residency. I think there are a lot more important things to do like rotations, making contacts or step 3

If anyone has any questions please ask, I will try to check on here every once in a while. All the best.

G
Hello, Thank you so much for the Advice! I will apply In September 2022, I am a non-us IMG YOG 2022, 248, 250 respectively and expect to have 3-4 FM LORs from outpatient clinics in US. I am still worried because I have no contacts in US, no relatives, no friends. literally pursuing this path on my own.
When you say make contacts, what do you mean? how did that help? I'd really appreciate your response! because i never understood what making contacts means whenever i read it... Thank you!

Hello, Thank you so much for the Advice! I will apply In September 2022, I am a non-us IMG YOG 2022, 248, 250 respectively and expect to have 3-4 FM LORs from outpatient clinics in US. I am still worried because I have no contacts in US, no relatives, no friends. literally pursuing this path on my own.
When you say make contacts, what do you mean? how did that help? I'd really appreciate your response! because i never understood what making contacts means whenever i read it... Thank you!
Hey there are a few ways to make contacts

- you can meet people in rotations in the form of attendings or residents who can put in a good word for you at the programs they are at
- you can also call attending physicians in the US who went to your school (you don't have to know them) and ask them for advice and some of them might also be ok to help if you keep in touch with them through the application season - this is really tough to do. Very humbling process. It can help though.

It helps as each program gets >3-4,000 applications so they all use filters for score, YOG, attempts etc. Sometimes your application won't even be seen and will be auto rejected. Your contacts can get your applications past the filters and get it reviewed. If your contact is a faculty at the program they can get you a interview even if your credentials aren't a perfect fit. So it helps on your journey, it's a extra step that many people don't do.

So obviously this is messed up, but also the following is pretty problematic for a residency program:

"While Pontiac General is licensed for 306 beds, only about 30 of the licensed beds are staffed in a medical-surgical unit that ranges occupancy from 25 percent to 50 percent. It also operates a 30-bed adult psychiatric unit that averages more than a 90 percent occupancy rate."
-Doing the math here means that on average the hospital seems to have had only 7-15 pts on their medical unit. I'd be worried about the training here.
PGH is the worst place to train for both family and psychiatry. There are an average of 3-5 occupied beds on the inpatient family medicine unit and sometimes no patients at all. Most of the admissions are bull****. The residents are always stressed because they have some dingus supervisors with "little man syndrome". The disrespect is impeded deep into the hospital and comes from the top down. The owner herself appointed two first years to be chief residents, the biggest joke this year.

The psychiatry residency is not better. It's a brand-new program and it's a mess! The residents have a large volume of patients and the supervision is mediocre. The hours are 7am to 7pm, 6 days a week, and if you finish all your work by 7PM you are so accomplished that day. The residents do not "mesh", so much animosity! the program changed program directors 3 times in one year. The turnover of staff is outrageous. They keep expanding the psychiatric units while relying on the psych residents to running. Not enough supervising attendings. The overall culture is BAD! the owners do not know how to run the hospital and they use the residents (cheap labor) to help run it. The units are constantly understaffed, and staff (including residents) keep getting injured by violent patients. No standard safety procedures. No proactive measures to improve training. All they care about is profit.

Family wins Pontiac General 'pay-for-play' residency case​

Jay Greene
REPRINTSPRINT

Crain's Detroit Business/Kirk Pinho
Canadian parents Satish and Poonam Chopra won a $484,564 verdict against Pontiac General for a breach-of-contract lawsuit over a payment to the hospital in exchange for promises their son would join the hospital's residency program.
An eight-member jury in federal court in Port Huron unanimously said Tuesday that Pontiac General Hospital breached a contract with the Canadian parents of an international medical school graduate who paid $400,000 believing their son would be accepted into the hospital's family medicine residency program.
Andrew Broder, a partner with Payne, Broder & Fossee P.C. in Bingham Farms, said Wednesday that his clients, Satish and Poonam Chopra, and their son, 33-year-old Varun, were happy with the jury's verdict and felt vindicated in the trial before U.S. District Judge Robert Cleland.
"My clients and I are gratified that the claims which we asserted in this case were vindicated by the jury's verdict. In fact, the jury found in favor of the plaintiffs on every claim which was tried in federal court during the past few days," Broder said in a statement.
CEO Sanyam Sharma of Pontiac General told Crain's Wednesday that the hospital is evaluating its options. "We disagree with the jury's verdict," he said, adding: "Since we got the verdict yesterday, I think it's a little too early to definitively comment on an appeal, but it is a strong possibility."
In a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed in 2017 in U.S. District Court in Detroit, the Chopras, who live in Brampton, Ontario, contended the family owners of Pontiac General asked for $400,000 in exchange for accepting Varun into the program in the fall of 2016. Chopra received a signed residency contract the same day his father paid the final of three checks, court records show.
"Two years ago, my clients paid the $400,000 required entry fee charged by Pontiac General Hospital as a condition of admitting Dr. Chopra into its residency program, Broder said. "An enforceable agreement was reached by the parties, by which Dr. Chopra would thus be admitted to the program. But the hospital thereafter breached the agreement by declining to let Dr. Chopra start the program, and to add insult to injury, the hospital refused to return the funds which my clients had paid. That is why this lawsuit was filed."

Modern Healthcare A.M. Newsletter: Sign up to receive a comprehensive weekday morning newsletter designed for busy healthcare executives who need the latest and most important healthcare news and analysis.​

EMAIL ADDRESS

The trial, which lasted 24 hours, started last Wednesday and ran through Friday, with closing arguments on Tuesday. The jury deliberated about 3 1/2 hours before coming back with its unanimous verdict.
Broder called seven witnesses to the stand, including the three Chopras, Pontiac General's family owners CEO Sanyam Sharma and COO Priyam Sharma, hospital residency manager Carol Samson and Nikhil Hemady, M.D., hospital program director and chief of staff.
The jury rejected all defenses and claims by the Sharmas, answering "yes" to the questions "Did the plaintiffs prove existence of residency contract?" and "Did the plaintiffs breach the residency contract?" The jury found that Varun did not first breach the contract, as the Sharmas contended, according to the verdict form released Tuesday by the court.
The jury also awarded $484,564 in damages to the Chopras.
"I have practiced law for 45 years, both in and outside of the health care arena," Broder said. "Except for what was done by the hospital here, I have never, ever, heard of any hospital charging medical school graduates to get into a residency program. I hope that, as a result of this case, such an outrageous practice never occurs again."
Pontiac General emerged from bankruptcy in 2016 after the Sharmas bought the hospital and began turning it around. From 2009 to 2014, Pontiac General lost more than $73 million and had gone through several owners.
While Pontiac General is licensed for 306 beds, only about 30 of the licensed beds are staffed in a medical-surgical unit that ranges occupancy from 25 percent to 50 percent. It also operates a 30-bed adult psychiatric unit that averages more than a 90 percent occupancy rate.
"Family wins Pontiac General 'pay-for-play' residency case" originally appeared in Crain's Detroit Business.
Letter
to the
Editor
Send us a letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Healthcare goes mobile: COVID-19 experience speeds doctors' transition to increased patient outreach
Providers have unanswered questions ahead of COVID-19 grant reporting deadline
SPONSORED CONTENT

GET NEWSLETTERS
Sign up for enewsletters and alerts to receive breaking news and in-depth coverage of healthcare events and trends, as they happen, right to your inbox.
Email Address
SUBSCRIBE TODAY
MH Magazine Cover

MH magazine offers content that sheds light on healthcare leaders’ complex choices and touch points—from strategy, governance, leadership development and finance to operations, clinical care, and marketing.
SUBSCRIBE
CONNECT WITH US
Our Mission
Modern Healthcare empowers industry leaders to succeed by providing unbiased reporting of the news, insights, analysis and data.

CONTACT US
(877) 812-1581
Email us

RESOURCES
EDITORIAL DEPT
LEGAL
Modern Healthcare
Copyright © 1996-2021. Crain Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved.