IMG interviews GI last year 2017 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muhammad Tahir

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how did the interview cycle go for IMG on j1 last year? Usually, other fellowships have started late July but is there something different for GI ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the same for all for GI, it all depends on the specific program sending out invites [dates] (all programs send invites to AMG and IMG/FMG) same time, some programs have one or two and very few send out interview invites out 3 times but they do not separate invites for IMG or AMG.

There is a filtering process and candidates are chosen based on USMLE scores, research, and LORs, Personal letters and connection to the institution.

For IMGs applying to GI which needs visa sponsorship, GI is a very difficult field to get interviews in due to lack of visa sponsoring programs.
Most IMGs get interviews at institutions they graduate (Internal Med residency ) from or have done electives in.

Gi is super competitive for visa requiring IMGs ( I say this due to me being matched at a highly competitive program and having gone through this process myself a couple years ago).

When I applied, I knew of 18 other visas requiring IMGs including my self. I got plenty of interviews but 8/18 did not even get one interview. The rest had the same or maybe more interviews.

My interviews came in July, August, Sept, and Oct. (I believe the others which the same invite dates as me and I was interviewed alongside AMGs).

Most programs send out in Aug/Sept. Some send out after ACG week, and yes program directors and/or chiefs/division/faculty/chief residents do attend ACG. After ACG week I and a couple of other applicants I knew got a few more interviews by interacting with the faculty of the programs which we applied for.

If you do not end up getting Interviews this cycle, you need to see why not, improve your CV and experiences and have research (publications) and make connections if you work as a hospitalist at an institution where it has a GI fellowship.

Many do Hepatology year and some do Motility year, and after that work for a year and apply.

Bottom line GI is a hard field for visa requiring IMGs but many have made it and is not impossible. Interviews should be coming soon and I hope all of the applicants needing Visa do end up getting interviews.

But the best place for a sure interview is your home program which has a GI fellowship since many visa requiring IMGs do end up matching at their home institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the same for all for GI, it all depends on the specific program sending out invites [dates] (all programs send invites to AMG and IMG/FMG) same time, some programs have one or two and very few send out interview invites out 3 times but they do not separate invites for IMG or AMG.

There is a filtering process and candidates are chosen based on USMLE scores, research, and LORs, Personal letters and connection to the institution.

For IMGs applying to GI which needs visa sponsorship, GI is a very difficult field to get interviews in due to lack of visa sponsoring programs.
Most IMGs get interviews at institutions they graduate (Internal Med residency ) from or have done electives in.

Gi is super competitive for visa requiring IMGs ( I say this due to me being matched at a highly competitive program and having gone through this process myself a couple years ago).

When I applied, I knew of 18 other visas requiring IMGs including my self. I got plenty of interviews but 8/18 did not even get one interview. The rest had the same or maybe more interviews.

My interviews came in July, August, Sept, and Oct. (I believe the others which the same invite dates as me and I was interviewed alongside AMGs).

Most programs send out in Aug/Sept. Some send out after ACG week, and yes program directors and/or chiefs/division/faculty/chief residents do attend ACG. After ACG week I and a couple of other applicants I knew got a few more interviews by interacting with the faculty of the programs which we applied for.

If you do not end up getting Interviews this cycle, you need to see why not, improve your CV and experiences and have research (publications) and make connections if you work as a hospitalist at an institution where it has a GI fellowship.

Many do Hepatology year and some do Motility year, and after that work for a year and apply.

Bottom line GI is a hard field for visa requiring IMGs but many have made it and is not impossible. Interviews should be coming soon and I hope all of the applicants needing Visa do end up getting interviews.

But the best place for a sure interview is your home program which has a GI fellowship since many visa requiring IMGs do end up matching at their home institution.

Thankyou so much for a detailed reply.

Reactions: 1 users