IMG match requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franceschino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether an IMG (I am a British graduate) could apply with only Step 1.

What are the requirements for an IMG application to a surgical program in the US?

Thank you very much.

F

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by program.

But please be aware that some programs will not accept applications from IMG/FMGs without the ECFMG certificate (which of course requires passing Step 2 CS?CK). You will have to contact the individual programs to see what their requirements are.

There is no exhaustive list but in general the more requirements you have completed by application time, the more favorable your chances in the match (regardless of the specialty).

Many thanks for your reply winged scapula. You have always been kind enough to share your knowldege.

I want to apply for a plastic/general surgery program. I know that it is very competitive but my questions are:
1. Can I apply anyway with only a Step 1 score?
2. If I don't get in first round, will it look bad on my resume if I reapply the year after (with Step 2 CK and CS)? Or faculties would not know about it?
3. Do I need Step 3?
4. Do you know anything about changes in USMLE structure? Will all steps be joined by 2013?

Thank you a lot for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give WS a rest.

1. Essentially no. Sure, you can apply, but Plastics is ridiculously competitive, and GS is very competitive, so your chances of success would be slim. Note that you absolutely must pass Steps 1/2CK/2CS before the rank lists are due, or you are automatically withdrawn from the match.

2. Only the programs you applied to the first time will know, if they can remember. If they filtered your application out at the first pass because you didn't take Step 2, I doubt they would even notice.

3. If you need a visa, then maybe. There is a thread about visa's stickied at the top of this page. An H visa requires Step 3. A J visa does not. In general, Step 3 won't make you more competitive unless you want an H visa (and a program is willing to give it to you).

4. No. There is talk about changing it, but it's at least a few years away. Perhaps combining Steps 1 and 2 into a "Gateway A", and then Step 3 becomes "Gateway B". But I don't see that happening soon, and certainly not by 2013. When they make the change, it will be for incoming medical students (and hence at least 3 years of notice for schools to adjust).

I can't thank you enough for your help!
I feel that because I am on the other side of the Atlantic, I find it extremely hard to find someone to discuss USMLEs.
THANK YOU!

I asked a very similar question and was adequately guided by AProgdirector.

However, some word of advice to the OP. It does not hurt applying for interviews now. You're just going to lose some money.

I'm in the same boat as you, will be applying without my ECFMG certificate.

I am researching individual programs for finer details regarding application. There are very few that accept applications without certification. However, note that last date for submission of application is usually Late November. So if you can get that done in time, you still have a shot.

Atleast, thats what I'm hoping for.:)