IMG(Non-US) Failed Step 2CK. Should I apply for Match 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwonderwoman21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just found out that I failed my Step 2 CK exam by 1 point. My credentials are as follows:

Step 1: 206
Step 2 CS: Passed (1st attempt)
Step 2 CK: 208
YOG: 2016
Visa status: NEED VISA

My question is if it would be wise for me to apply for this coming match or if I should retake my exam, get a decent score, and apply for next year’s match?

Since I am a non-US IMG requiring a visa, my plan is to also take Step 3 as soon as possible. Seeing as it is already mid-July, I’m afraid I will not be able to get meet the Sept 6 deadline to apply for residency through ERAS.

What are my chances of matching with a failed CK attempt and a low Step 1 score? Any success stories for situations similar to mine?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone here. I am open to your frank and honest feedback on this.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly...zero? Even if you're a USMD you really have no chance of matching with a failed step score that hasn't been retaken. I can't imagine any PDs would want to sponsor a visa for an applicant hasn't demonstrated their ability to pass standardized exams, either. I would take another year to study and prepare for a retake.

Sorry, I know this sounds harsh, but that's how I see things playing out.

You have a low Step 1 and an attempt on CK. Just that alone puts you at a disadvantage. As a fellow IMG, I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this because it could happen to any of us. With that being said, I think you should first focus on passing CK with the highest score possible and then spending the next year productively. Get involved with research or clinical work in the US, preferably at a hospital that takes IMGs. Use the opportunity to network and show yourself as a motivated candidate who is not accurately represented by her scores. Step 3 will help but I honestly think your best shot now is contacts.

To put your mind at ease a bit (this was about 8 or 10 years ago), I know a guy from the Caribbean who got a Step 1: ~205 on 2 attempts, Step 2 CK: ~210, and ended up matching into family med in Ohio. You have a tough road ahead but not one that is impossible. I don't think you should attempt this Match cycle though.

Agree with the above, you should take a year to do research and/or clinical work in the U.S. first, to have any chance at matching in even the least competitive specialties. You will also want to get an awesome CK score of course, and my advice for how to do that depends on how you prepared the first time, although your Step 1 score suggests a systemic problem with either how you're studying or how you take tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all so much for your feedback. Truly appreciate your brutally honest thoughts on this, which is exactly what I was hoping to get. I have decided to retake the exam, give it my all and apply for next year’s match. Giving up is not an option. After some introspection, I believe my biggest problem is deciding on “the best answer” especially on “the next best step” kinda questions. Having said that, I am determined to address my weak areas and hopefully equip myself better before attempting the exam again. I will keep you guys posted on my journey. Thank you all so much once again. And best of luck to you guys too.

You have a low Step 1 and an attempt on CK. Just that alone puts you at a disadvantage. As a fellow IMG, I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this because it could happen to any of us. With that being said, I think you should first focus on passing CK with the highest score possible and then spending the next year productively. Get involved with research or clinical work in the US, preferably at a hospital that takes IMGs. Use the opportunity to network and show yourself as a motivated candidate who is not accurately represented by her scores. Step 3 will help but I honestly think your best shot now is contacts.

To put your mind at ease a bit (this was about 8 or 10 years ago), I know a guy from the Caribbean who got a Step 1: ~205 on 2 attempts, Step 2 CK: ~210, and ended up matching into family med in Ohio. You have a tough road ahead but not one that is impossible. I don't think you should attempt this Match cycle though.
Hi, I saw your response and would like to know your opinion. I got 221 on step1, I am an IMG, graduated 2 years ago and want family medicine, do I still have probabilities for a match. thanks

Hi, I saw your response and would like to know your opinion. I got 221 on step1, I am an IMG, graduated 2 years ago and want family medicine, do I still have probabilities for a match. thanks
Yeah, absolutely. Your Step 1, time since graduation keep you in the running. Try for a solid improvement on CK to solidify your chances, but you should be fine for family med.

Hi. I just found out that I failed my Step 2 CK exam by 1 point. My credentials are as follows:

Step 1: 206
Step 2 CS: Passed (1st attempt)
Step 2 CK: 208
YOG: 2016
Visa status: NEED VISA

My question is if it would be wise for me to apply for this coming match or if I should retake my exam, get a decent score, and apply for next year’s match?

Since I am a non-US IMG requiring a visa, my plan is to also take Step 3 as soon as possible. Seeing as it is already mid-July, I’m afraid I will not be able to get meet the Sept 6 deadline to apply for residency through ERAS.

What are my chances of matching with a failed CK attempt and a low Step 1 score? Any success stories for situations similar to mine?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone here. I am open to your frank and honest feedback on this.

Thank you.
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck if you end up reapplying. Don’t give up, this is a long process and your scores are just a small pothole in the long road of life