IMG question: step 2 CK before step 1?? Help~

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by hippoppop, May 28, 2008.

1. hippoppop

2+ Year Member

Hi all, thanks for reading this.

Need a urgent advice on my question.

I am a UK MS graduating this July, trying to get into the MATCH 2009, taking CK on the 4th of August 2008, taking Step 1 on the 19th of August 2008, CS in September. I know i am taking this a little bit late, but I just decided to go for US residency recently.

I am aiming for categorical general surgery residency, I have 2 months working experience in St lukes- Roosevelt Hospital, New York.

Is the above arrangement ok? provided i passed all of them on the first go....

Will it affect my ERAS matching process? or chances of getting interview? I know the PDs start downloading the application in September....

By 2009 July, I will have a year of MD experience in Anaesthetics/Surgery/Medicine, does it help in getting a residency?

Thanks for helping..........:laugh::D:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. buckley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmmm...what do you mean "by 2009 july, I will have a year of experience in..."? If these are rotations you are doing on your own, you should be fine. If they are required in any way for your medical degree, you may be in trouble. As IMGs, I know you have to be ecfmg certified by rank order list deadline which is sometime in february, so you need to have all the requirements in by that time, including verification of your medical school credentials.

Usually it's good to be ecfmg certified by Spet 1st but it's not a hard and fast rule. You can get lots of interviews depending on how competitive you are even if you are not certified.

Good luck

4. hippoppop

2+ Year Member

Sorry about the confusion...what i meant was, Do I stand a better chance if i apply residency as a Doctor, and had experience in the relevant field?

and, not having step 1 result by 1st of September will affect by chance in getting interview?

Thanks..

5. buckley

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First question--- you know the answer is yes :)
    2nd question---I would wait until I have at least my Step 1 scores in-- Think about it, how will you be able to be evaluated if you have no scores in? And most US seniors do have their step 1 scores in, so it becomes a generic index of comparison. Rock your exams and I do believe you have a chance at getting interviews. Will you have more interviews if you had your results in by Sptember 1?--you know the answer is likely a "yes". But if you can't go around that limitation than just do your best in the other areas of your application.

6. hippoppop

2+ Year Member

i changed my plan....take step 1 first...then step 2 2 weeks later.........hope all the results will come back by 1st of sept..........finger crossed!!!

7. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good idea, IMHO. Residency programs tend to look at Step 1 scores more than Step 2 CK. Don't ask me why. Doesn't make sense to me, considering that Step 2 CK is more clinically oriented. But I've heard that programs tend to use Step 1 as a cutoff, and Step 2 CK validates your Step 1 score. But get those scores in ASAP, and rock both exams. As an IMG, your Step scores are scrutinized more closely than those of US grads, along with all of your other credentials.

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Because Step 1 is something all candidates have; many students have not taken Step 2 by application season.

9. hippoppop

2+ Year Member

so it wont affect me much if my Step 2 CK result comes out at the end of september? is that right?

Other documents such as LOR, MSPE, personal statement will definitely be ready by 1st of september for ERAS...ready to rock~

10. doctr2be

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So as an IMG, who just recently graduated which Step should I take first?
    I just opened a few study materiasl and Step 1 subjects seem like Greek and Latin to me and Im terrified.
    Help please?

11. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It doesn't matter which one you take first... that's just a question of what works for you. But as an IMG, you should make every effort to have all three scores reported by the time you submit your applications in mid-September. If you can't do that, then you should at least have Step 1... but if you're coming from Indian and you don't have scores from all three tests, you'll have trouble getting interviews.

12. akhim

Medical Student
    if youre a recent graduate and you dont have any clinical experience in the US, I would take step 1 first. and that will give you a good foundation for step 2. but like the person above me said, in terms of applying, it doesnt matter which one you take first.
    i personally think if you do well on step 1, then step 2 becomes a lot easier, because then youre just deriving from what you already know from step 1

13. doctr2be

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ya that seems to be the advice I've been getting.
    Started reading FA but everything in it seems so concise.
    I have 6 months till I take the exam, planning on FA/UWorld/Pathoma, and Kaplan notes (If I find out where to get them without taking a Kaplan course), is that sufficient?

14. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    "Sufficient" depends on your baseline level of knowledge. We can't really tell you what's sufficient without knowing about your med school curriculum. You can try the people on usmle-forums.com - there are a lot of Indian students there, so they know all about the Indian curriculum.

FA/UWorld/Pathoma will cover most of the material on the test, but those sources won't be adequate to teach you material that you haven't learned before. The Kaplan course does a good job of that, and DIT does a great job of reinforcing it with FA as a guide.

15. akhim

Medical Student
    i dont know what pathoma is....but the Kaplan notes, FA, and Uworld, and being able to connect the dots is all you need