IMG step 1:250, advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

There was one more thing that Id like to mention but it isnt for sure yet. I am currently working on a manuscript for a basic science research paper, If it gets accepted Ill be 1st author. How much stronger does that make my application???

Also: If I apply to prelims as a back up would that be a waste of a year that I could potentially be doing research in or will it make my application stronger? and what are the chances of matching in to a PGY-2 postion after prelim?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just looking at charting outcomes. The number of independent applicants are higher since it includes DO, IMG, FMG all in one basket. But it's always going to be a low number when looking at these things, such is the nature of the data given the size of the applicant pool.

But the numbers are also stable over time, from 2014, 2011, back to 2009. Right around half of independent applicants with a 250-260 step 1 match (2009: 12 matched, 17 unmatched; 2011: 16 matched, 21 unmatched; 2014: 41 matched, 34 unmatched).

The more worrisome aspect of the data is the probability of matching by contiguous ranks - this shows that even IMGs who get 10 interviews still have an abysmal match rate. Which suggests that even if you get an interview, you are not making it to the top of the programs' rank lists.

What I would also say is that this data cognitively meshes with what I've seen over time - both here on this site and IRL - about the odds of matching for even high scoring IMGs.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't apply. But I think if they do, they need to bust their butt to do everything they can between now and then to improve their application. They also need to be realistic about the odds.

From personal experience, I would argue that the chance of hitting a categorical position (PGY1 at first try) with a step 1 in the 250s is much less than 50%. The charting outcomes refer to 'independent applicants', including -as mentioned before- the applicants who failed to match in ortho, ent, plastics. In addition, there are many different kinds of IMGs: Canadian, Carribean, British, Other Western countries, Others - not to mention the US citizenship status.

To the OP, I would state that this step 1 score will not open any doors, but it will also not close any doors. You will have to work hard, be smart, and be lucky to get a good gen surg categorical spot. Do your best and best of luck from me.

Edit: Regarding the research- unfortunately academic programs are very rarely considering IMGs regardless of their research. You may make some connections though and it will help you later for fellowship placement (hopefully).

So I found this and it appears that in my previous post I was wrong. In page 205 you may see that 29 IMGs with step 1 > 250 found a position vs 11 who did not (2009-2013 data). You will also see that IMGs with failed step 1/step 2 attempts matched! I guess nothing is impossible after all... Or the data is imprecise. Anyway my piece of advice remains unchanged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it necessary for you to derail someone else's thread?
They do this all the time on the usmle step 1 img forums. It is classic and goes like this:
user 1: hey, I am having trouble solving question 23 block 2 of nmbe 9
user 2: yes I am having the same problem too!
user 3: hey user 1, please send me nmbe 9, here is my email
user 4-43242354353454: please send me it too!!!! Here is my email!
it is honestly too funny! lol

Reactions: 1 user
They do this all the time on the usmle step 1 img forums. It is classic and goes like this:
user 1: hey, I am having trouble solving question 23 block 2 of nmbe 9
user 2: yes I am having the same problem too!
user 3: hey user 1, please send me nmbe 9, here is my email
user 4-43242354353454: please send me it too!!!! Here is my email!
it is honestly too funny! lol
Yes, they are quite funny to read. Apparently, they've never heard of PMs. LOL.

Reactions: 1 user