Step 1 Failure IMG for Family Med, how do I deal with it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makingthebest

Reaction score
So I am a 4th year non Caribbean USIMG and I want to go into family medicine. preferably rural. I failed Step 1 by one point the first time and passed the second time. I'm scheduled to take step 2 in early October, so I don't have my scores yet but they will probably be low. I have all high passes/honors for clinical rotations and good lors. Also I grew up in both urban and rural places as a poor white. I want to work with underserved (mostly rural and Native) populations in my home state of Alaska.

How do I deal with my step failure in my application? do I mention it in my personal statement? becuase right now it doesn't really fit naturally with what I have. I feel like ignoring it is a bad idea but I don't know how to address it

Members don't see this ad.

My two-cents is that unless there was a particular reason for the Step 1 failure that you have since overcome and/or are working on, don't mention it. It's not like you're lying or something, the scores will be available to programs in other parts of your ERAS. It'll just make your PS awkward. Just be ready to discuss it at interviews.

An important thing to keep in mind is that FM programs don't want to take applicants who look like they're using them as a backup. Your application needs to reflect a genuine interest in FM. If you don't have any letters from FM docs, you'll need at least one, probably more. You should do a primary care rotation ASAP and get honors. If you don't have any letters from FM docs, you'll need at least one, probably more. Otherwise, it sounds like you've done everything else that you can to make up for it. You'll need to apply to as many programs as you can. If you can afford it, apply to every last one in the country. If you can't apply to every single one, look at recent match lists for your school and prioritize programs where alumni have matched. The odds are very much not in your favor, but FM is generally pretty forgiving. I'd say you're not totally sunk thanks to your grades and letters.

Last edited:
So you have two red flags - IMG and step failure. This is going to give you a tough road. Rocking step 2 will be a big help, as will LORs and course evals attesting to the fact that you are clinically excellent. You might consider addressing the step failure BRIEFLY in your personal statement - what you struggled with, and how you improved for the next one, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not super experienced in reviewing applicants with major red flags so someone else might have better advice.

Your saving grace might be that you are not just willing, but excited to practice in rural Alaska, especially as an Alaskan resident. I have to imagine the FM program in Alaska would love to have someone with that passion. I would try to do an audition rotation, and if you can't, either reach out to them directly and let them know about your interest in caring for underserved Alaskans in your career, or do a personalized PS for them where you have a paragraph that basically says "Hey, I'm from Alaska, I want to practice with underserved populations in Alaska, and I'm interested in your program particularly because of this and also XYZ."

• Love
Reactions: 3 users