IMG Trying for University IM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domek

Hue hue hue dude, look when I joined...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third-year student at an international school, ultimately going for hematology/oncology. Just finished my Step 1 exam so I've been putting some serious thought into my upcoming years and future prospects.

I am interested in internal medicine, but I wouldn't want to get "stuck" in it. I'd like to maximize my chances of sub-specialization, so I'd love to get into a university-based internal medicine program. I know that I still have Step 2, LOR, USCE to focus on, but I had some questions I wanted to throw out here...

First of all, what range of Step 1 scores would be considered competitive for a university-based IM program?

How important is research/publications for these programs?

And what else could I do to boost my application? Specifically, I'm considering taking a year after graduation to try and get more USCE, I've heard this can be beneficial.

Any thoughts, criticisms, recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to provide more information for anyone to give any kind of meaningful advice. Basic info that would be necessary,

1. What country is your medical school in?
2. Are you a US citizen? And if so, why aren't you in medical school in the US?
3. If you're not a US citizen, why do you want to come to the US for residency?

The answers to those questions will largely determine the answers to your questions.

And please remember, the only USCE that actually matters is USCE where you are functioning as an actual medical student. To get this, you must still be a medical student. The only USCE you can get after graduating is observerships, which are largely useless for getting LORs (which is the whole reason to get USCE).

You will need to provide more information for anyone to give any kind of meaningful advice. Basic info that would be necessary,

1. What country is your medical school in?
2. Are you a US citizen? And if so, why aren't you in medical school in the US?
3. If you're not a US citizen, why do you want to come to the US for residency?

The answers to those questions will largely determine the answers to your questions.

And please remember, the only USCE that actually matters is USCE where you are functioning as an actual medical student. To get this, you must still be a medical student. The only USCE you can get after graduating is observerships, which are largely useless for getting LORs (which is the whole reason to get USCE).

I am a US citizen, currently studying in Eastern Europe. Why I’m not studying in the US sounds more like an interview question. But hey, if it somehow helps, the answer is: for family and financial reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread, as in a very similar situation. In my case im an FMG as I went from one European country to another to do my MD, and hoping to be at least competitive enough for IM once im done with school.

I am a US citizen, currently studying in Eastern Europe. Why I’m not studying in the US sounds more like an interview question. But hey, if it somehow helps, the answer is: for family and financial reasons.
Ok, I was also a US-IMG and just finished a university IM residency. That's my background so you know where I'm coming from.

Believe me when I tell you that this is not an interview question, it's a question a PD is going to ask her/him-self while reviewing your application, and by percentages likely putting it in the "rejection" pile.

US-IMGs are at a significant disadvantage when applying to residency. While a university IM program is certainly attainable, it is much more difficult as a US-IMG. To answer your questions,

1. 230+ on step 1 will make you competitive for university IM as a US-IMG. You will also need to match (and ideally exceed) that on step 2 CK.

2. While research never hurts, the tier of university IM programs that US-IMGs are competitive for (low to lower-mid tier) generally aren't research driven institutions. You should definitely have something in that section of your application (posters, QI projects, maybe a publication), but overall the other parts of your application (step scores, LORs, medical school class rank) are going to be much more important.

3. And again, any USCE you get after having graduated from medical school will be observerships, which aren't very helpful. You can not get a meaningful LOR from an observership. You want USCE while you are a medical student, so you can actually function as a US medical student would and show your chops.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I was also a US-IMG and just finished a university IM residency. That's my background so you know where I'm coming from.

Believe me when I tell you that this is not an interview question, it's a question a PD is going to ask her/him-self while reviewing your application, and by percentages likely putting it in the "rejection" pile.

US-IMGs are at a significant disadvantage when applying to residency. While a university IM program is certainly attainable, it is much more difficult as a US-IMG. To answer your questions,

1. 230+ on step 1 will make you competitive for university IM as a US-IMG. You will also need to match (and ideally exceed) that on step 2 CK.

2. While research never hurts, the tier of university IM programs that US-IMGs are competitive for (low to lower-mid tier) generally aren't research driven institutions. You should definitely have something in that section of your application (posters, QI projects, maybe a publication), but overall the other parts of your application (step scores, LORs, medical school class rank) are going to be much more important.

3. And again, any USCE you get after having graduated from medical school will be observerships, which aren't very helpful. You can not get a meaningful LOR from an observership. You want USCE while you are a medical student, so you can actually function as a US medical student would and show your chops.

I definitely understand the stigma associated with international applicants. I was actually born in Poland (where I’m studying now), so I had a lot of reasons for coming here besides the presumed “couldn’t get into a US school”. Maybe my last name sounds Polish enough for some PDs to make that connection and not automatically reject me :) but other than that I’m doing what I can to stand out.

I’m in a good place with my Step score/class rank. Honestly I thought I’d need at least a 240 for university programs. And I hadn’t really considered the distinction between research-driven and less academic university programs, so thanks for that point. I’ll be sure to get something to put on my application, but I’ll keep my focus on rank and scores.

And for USCE, I know that I’ll have about 12-16 weeks of externship in the US during the beginning of my fourth year. Maybe I can squeeze in a little more this summer...

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I really do appreciate the insight. And congrats on making it to where I someday hope to be myself :)