Step I IMG vs American Student Avg on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

workingeagerly_247

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the average Step 1 score is for IMG vs American grads on Step 1? I'm not referring to the average for matched IMG and American applicants, just the latest overall average for IMG and US students in Step 1.

I tried checking the charting outcomes, reports and forums but wasn't able to find anything. Any insight would be appreciated.
 
Before I read the last line I was going to direct you to charting outcomes. Does it really not have that data? Seems strange. Either way if you pay attention to most specialties the IMG matching average is actually lower than US grads (someone explained this to me once but I can't remember anymore - Maybe due to less sample size or the fact that IMGs may have matched due to other things like research, step 2, LORs etc). It sounds strange but I remember all the trends saying that. Either way to be safe you should aim for 5-10 points higher than US grads.

The more I research this, the more I genuinely feel (and I may be wrong since I'm only pre MS3 atm) that IMGs need to demonstrate more post step 1 skills/talent/endurance rather than just score. It would make sense because US knows people can ace tests outside the country as well but the trust factor probably comes from good honors in rotations, LORs etc. Just my 2 cents. (I'm a canadian citizen, caribbean IMG)